PDA

View Full Version : Cameras at the Loew's Intersection??

nodigg
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM
As I was heading back from Cheetah to the plant this morning, I stopped at the light on Chenoweth and Hwy 95 and noticed we have big brother staring at us. Is this camera an auto revenue generator for the city or for some other purpose?

phebus
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
As I was heading back from Cheetah to the plant this morning, I stopped at the light on Chenoweth and Hwy 95 and noticed we have big brother staring at us. Is this camera an auto revenue generator for the city or for some other purpose?
Are you sure it was a camera? In Havasu we have the traffic signals that are activated by public safety vehicles (fire and police), to hold traffic at an intersection and allow them to pass on green. On the signal standards, there are detectors for the system.

DILLIGAF
03-08-2007, 08:53 PM
You are a pretty yappy guy these days....lol
You going to be in Havasu next week? If so you are welcome to sneak away from work and jump on the boat with me and Dave.

HMF'er
03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Many cities now use live view only cameras at major intersections for the traffic engineers to monitor and adjust for signal phase order and length, not for enforcement. The enforcement cameras will have the big strobe light looking boxes mounted lower on the poles. I haven't seen the particular intersection you mentioned.

SummitKarl
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
it's the same thing as is on Acoma and McCulloch signals.....
"motion detector" ..yes it's a camera but not for tickets (yet):rolleyes:
they work great for me riding the XR650, me and the bike don't weigh enough to trip the signal, but a good wave of the arms after I stop and it's green

SummitKarl
03-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Are you sure it was a camera? In Havasu we have the traffic signals that are activated by public safety vehicles (fire and police), to hold traffic at an intersection and allow them to pass on green. On the signal standards, there are detectors for the system.
yea and a properly time rapid high beam flash and it works for you too;) :D

nodigg
03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
You are a pretty yappy guy these days....lol
You going to be in Havasu next week? If so you are welcome to sneak away from work and jump on the boat with me and Dave.
Sounds good, I will be here.

Quality Time
03-09-2007, 06:49 PM
If they are cameras mounted on the signal mast arm they are probably used for video detection. They eliminate the need to cut loops om the pavement you see at other intersections. The cameras detect your vehicle passing through a defined area and that's it. You cannot download images from this system.
The EVP (emergency vehicle preemption) units look like a black bird sitting on the mast arm. They are for emergency vehicle clearance as Phebus pointed out.
Yes, I'm in the biz:)