PDA

View Full Version : jeep quadratrac question

19Kona
03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
ok, I know it is not the best forum, but I have a gear head question, well a couple. This is for a 79 CJ7 auto with the BW1339 or QT
1. Good shops with experience with this transfer case around Los Angeles, CA?
2. Good place to get parts for it around Los Angeles (I need a thrust washer thingy, a chain, and some other misc. stuff)?
3.What are the steps to taking off the chain. It looks straight forward, but I can't get it off (afraid to pull hard).
4. how do I know if the diff in the transfer case is still good?
Thank you.

mtnrat
03-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Sell it and get a Landcruiser.:D

Aluminum Squirt
03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
If this is a keeper and you are going to do some real deal wheeling, swap that bad boy out for an Atlas II or even the better the new Atlas IV. They are bullet poof and have a super low range so you can run reasonable gears and still have a good crawl ratio. I'm no 4X4 expert but I try to keep current with the new hardware and trends. I'm sure sombody on here is a subject matter expert-Aluminun Squirt

curtis73
03-09-2007, 10:46 PM
4x4 doctor in Burbank is pretty knowledgeable.
In general the chain style TCs are not as strong as gear-style boxes. The earlier New Process TCs and most of the Dana TCs are gear driven. With the huge demand for aftermarket swaps and oddball 4x4 drivetrain combos, companies like Advance Adapters make it possible to put whatever TC you want behind whatever tranny you can think of.
You can also get a ton of tech at these two sites. Novak is a Jeep 4x4 expert, and Advance Adapters is a company that knows all 4x4s and can adapt anything to anything else.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer_case_gateway.htm
http://www.advanceadapters.com/

19Kona
03-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up calling 4-wheel parts. They actually had all of the parts in stock at the warehouse. This all-wheel drive jeep is actually perfect for what I want. My plan is a little 4-wheeling and mostly launch and retrv the boat on our slippery ramp. Eventually when my boys are older they can do what they want as far as rock crawling, but I just like driving with the windshield down.