PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Bio-Diesel

DaddyMack
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Anybody use it? Has anyone here ever converted the used fryer oil for use in their truck.. what mods do you have to make... and why does it eat away the rubber? hmmm... with prices for fuel.. i have a few buddies that have restaurants and I can have all their used oil...

Screaming Pete
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Anybody use it? Has anyone here ever converted the used fryer oil for use in their truck.. what mods do you have to make... and why does it eat away the rubber? hmmm... with prices for fuel.. i have a few buddies that have restaurants and I can have all their used oil...
i have and in the winter when the air is cold you can stand by the exhaust and it's very clean burning no smell, better than the new low sulfar and that was with only about a 30% mix with regular diesel

DaddyMack
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
i have and in the winter when the air is cold you can stand by the exhaust and it's very clean burning no smell, better than the new low sulfar and that was with only about a 30% mix with regular diesel
I didn't think about mixing... hmm that would still save loads in fuel costs without buring pure 100% stuff.. I think you can go up to 30% (B30) without any mods... is that true??? gotta be some experts on this in here...:idea:

Screaming Pete
03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
i know it will also clean out your fuel tanks if they have sedament in them so you will have to replace fuel/water seperators a couple of times extra

LHC30Victory
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Dont know about Nevada, but in CA you need to have a renderer's permit to haul used cooking oil!! I briefly looked into getting a permit, but they are a real pain. I looked into the process and it is viable, but the supply of quality used oil and the methanol (a cumulative CANCER HAZARD) became two concerns that made it unpalatable for me.
many posts on DieselPlace.com bout this.;...

ZBODaytona
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
my buddy here in fl makes his own fuel..he goes further than just allowing the truck to run on the oil..he makes his brew at home, and runs completly on it. He doesn't have to start on diesel and then switch over. says it cost him around 70 cents though he has some time in the convertion and the initial outlay for the brewing machines....but he has been doing it for over a year and it runs great. He did say after the first tank he had to change the fuel filters but now he can switch between bio and regular diesel as if he can't get home for the bio without any issues...
If i could find a supplier for oil i would do it his way...then i don't have to carry a spare tank and do all the pluming for the switchable system...oh yeah he smells like MCdonalds going down the road.....

DaddyMack
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Dont know about Nevada, but in CA you need to have a renderer's permit to haul used cooking oil!! I briefly looked into getting a permit, but they are a real pain. I looked into the process and it is viable, but the supply of quality used oil and the methanol (a cumulative CANCER HAZARD) became two concerns that made it unpalatable for me.
many posts on DieselPlace.com bout this.;...
Not that I am aware of... you can just buy enough of the menthonal to mix at the time no??
found this... http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_link.html#homebrews

DaddyMack
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
my buddy here in fl makes his own fuel..he goes further than just allowing the truck to run on the oil..he makes his brew at home, and runs completly on it. He doesn't have to start on diesel and then switch over. says it cost him around 70 cents though he has some time in the convertion and the initial outlay for the brewing machines....but he has been doing it for over a year and it runs great. He did say after the first tank he had to change the fuel filters but now he can switch between bio and regular diesel as if he can't get home for the bio without any issues...
If i could find a supplier for oil i would do it his way...then i don't have to carry a spare tank and do all the pluming for the switchable system...oh yeah he smells like MCdonalds going down the road.....
Does he use something like this? does he have a recipe?
http://www.diyfuel.com/