PDA

View Full Version : Directv DVR?

Waldo
03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I have a regular 4-room Directv system...can I just purchase a Tivo/DVR box and switch it out w/my primary tv's box and start recording stuff? Stupid ? but figured I could get a stupid answer here:D
Gracias.

Boatcop
03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
If it's a Direct TV DVR, yes, you can.
However, you'll need 2 lines from the dish to the box if you want to watch one show and record another.
I had a new multi-lan dish installed for my DTV HDTV/DVR, and put the regular DVR in the bedroom. No problem.

Coach
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes you can and having 2 lines is the best way to go, but I went with just one line for a year. We switched out our boxes. You can record one show and watch something recorded, but not nearly as cool as when you have 2 lines hooked up. IMO the TiVo set up is much much better than the DVR that DTV offers. I have 2 TiVo units and one DVR and the TiVo is much faster and easier to use than the DVR.

nodigg
03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't they give those things away with service at Direct?

blown65
03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Regular DTV is free. The HD is more money. HD is well worth it if you have a good TV set (1080P in my case) and the shows you watch are also in HD. (Not tons but alot of the ones I like are)
I just wish they had the home networking like the reg tivo has. :(

JetBoatRich
03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
To take full advantage of the system, you need two line as mentioned:rolleyes:

PBOCOP
03-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I have the new Mits 1080 DLP tv also. I went with the Direct TV HD DVR and it is awesome. I have the 2 lines into that one. I use my other normal TIVO box in the bedroom. I was an avid TIVO freak, but the Direct TV HD DVR is very nice and way worth the price.
PBO

blown65
03-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I have the new Mits 1080 DLP tv also. I went with the Direct TV HD DVR and it is awesome. I have the 2 lines into that one. I use my other normal TIVO box in the bedroom. I was an avid TIVO freak, but the Direct TV HD DVR is very nice and way worth the price.
PBO
Same here. I had the TIVO stuff before and always had issues with it breaking. So far so good. I think Ive had one lockup, but not really that big of a deal.

JetBoatRich
03-10-2007, 07:24 AM
The single line DVR is in the Beta stage right now, sure make installs easier in a few months:)