PDA

View Full Version : Insulting a Boat Seller

fatboy95
03-10-2007, 12:22 PM
How do you tell a guy his boat is way overpriced without pissing him off? We are trying to help a friend buy a boat and what a deal. Some boats we have followed have been on the market for 2 years and some since last season. Some sellers think that because they pumped a $10k sound system into the boat that it increases the value by $10k. Or, I can sell the boat minus the engine. Great, how frickin fast does it go using oars?? I have seen some Coles and Howards on the market for eternity and the price hasn't budged. Some guys use the classic line "well to buy this boat new you would pay - - -" Well I'm not looking for a new boat , that is why I called you. Any comments from anyone is having the same experience????:idea:

ratso
03-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I deal in boats and cars... sold two boats today, coming off about a grand a piece, and a truck for full pop... If people want to wheel and deal, you gotta be ready to wheel and deal... If something has been on the market for two years then the guy is overpriced on top of being a full blown 100% dumbass... I'll never figure people like that out...

purrfecttremor
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I was thinking of putting Mine on the market and Your scaring Me!! I think We all know that used boats are not selling as good as the last few years and I will make the adjustment even though prime time is right around the corrner.Now how am Igoing to aford a new one if Mine aint worth SHIT??:idea:

Lavey29
03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
If your friend is interested in the boat, make the guy an offer based on what you feel is a good price to pay. Typically, you low ball and he is on the high side so some give on both sides is needed and you meet in the middle on the final price. I found my boat on the internet and it was all the way back in North Carolina. 9hrs of demo time on it, never been titled. The marine dealer back there had tried to sell it for 160K and they delivered it to my house in Cali for 82K based on my offer. There are a lot of good deals out there right now so just pass on the ones that you feel are not being practical with their pricing for their boats and look for the good deals that are all over out there still...good luck

ratso
03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I was thinking of putting Mine on the market and Your scaring Me!! I think We all know that used boats are not selling as good as the last few years and I will make the adjustment even though prime time is right around the corrner.Now how am Igoing to aford a new one if Mine aint worth SHIT??:idea:
You also have to find the right buyer. I just don't believe in dealing with anyone that doesn't want to "negotiate" a deal... One boat I sold today, I also threw in a set of skis and jackets... hard bargainer too... The truck I sold for full pop was of all colors, PURPLE!!! The guy hated it! I threw in some custom mats, sold him on the features and one of my guys is pinstriping it for him right now...

ratso
03-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah... Fukk NADA and Kelley Blue Book... anybody brings that crap to the table with me, they are gonna LOSE!!! ;)

buzzaro
03-10-2007, 01:23 PM
How do you tell a guy his boat is way overpriced without pissing him off? We are trying to help a friend buy a boat and what a deal. Some boats we have followed have been on the market for 2 years and some since last season. Some sellers think that because they pumped a $10k sound system into the boat that it increases the value by $10k. Or, I can sell the boat minus the engine. Great, how frickin fast does it go using oars?? I have seen some Coles and Howards on the market for eternity and the price hasn't budged. Some guys use the classic line "well to buy this boat new you would pay - - -" Well I'm not looking for a new boat , that is why I called you. Any comments from anyone is having the same experience????:idea:
Just make an offer, your willing to pay a certain amount and they are willing to accept a certain amount. Just find out if they overlap and thats about it.

707dog
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
im a $$$ talkz b.s walkz guy, i say throw at him what your willing to pay and if it dont suit his needs tell him ill try ya again next year then!!! just to piss him off.....

Chromegorilla
03-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I think the thing is you really don't tell someone their asking too much..... you just make an offer and if he boffs..... well thats his problem... rememberhe's trying to sell his boat. When he turns down enough offers MAYBE "he'll get it".
And remember.... the buyer is the one who always sets the price. Cuz if it's not what you wanna spend...you don't have to. A boat is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for it.

YeLLowBoaT
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
When ever I go to buy car/truck/boat. I make it really ez for them... heres what I am willing to pay. Ether take it or I walk. If you call me again latter saying ok it will cost you $100 a day.

beaverretriever
03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Dude, I am willing to deal on my boat. I was asking 110k, I will cut that price in half and sell it for 55k. Find someone else that will take half of what they are asking...;) :D

AirtimeLavey
03-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry, but had to laugh. I deal with this everyday in real estate. Someone on here said that something is worth what another is willing to pay for it. That's true unless the buyer is financing, then it's worth what the lender thinks it's worth.
People can attach all kinds of emotional value to things that some times just aren't justified in the market place. So, their stuff just sits unsold until somehow the seller gets a clue or fed up.
Try to find out what the motivation of the seller is. Some sellers may not be very motivated, and are content to sit on something, forgetting that the longer it sits, the more value it loses.
My advice for what it's worth, is to make an offer that you think is fair, and if it's much lower than the seller's asking price, state why you're making such a low offer. Then walk away and check back again in a month. If you're right, the boat won't have sold yet. The point of this is to make contact and let the seller know you're there whenever they get a clue on what the market price should be. Otherwise, it's their stuff, they can do what they want and no one's gonna make them think logically if they don't want to.
Good luck.

Jbb
03-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I think the thing is you really don't tell someone their asking too much..... you just make an offer and if he boffs..... well thats his problem... rememberhe's trying to sell his boat. When he turns down enough offers MAYBE "he'll get it".
And remember.... the buyer is the one who always sets the price. Cuz if it's not what you wanna spend...you don't have to. A boat is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for it.
Your Ideas are correct only under one supposition...that the seller actually is desperate to sell his boat....
My boat is for sale.....It's paid for, so there is no gun to my head... I want to sell it ......and build something else....That means if my price is too high in your opinion...you will buy something else..doesnt mean its..."anybodys problem".....There is no need for it to ever get personal ....it's business,nothing less.
I love the way my boat drives and looks. If it doesnt sell...and I get to play with it this summer....thats ok.....the next project can wait....
Everyone acts as if every seller is facing forclosure.....It's simply not the case.
My last Edge I sold,and the Baja after it ...I put a price on them,considerably above the going average......and someone came along and paid cash.....every penny of the asking price,both times.
There are buyers out there .....for everything... within reason....the right person just has to stumble across the ad..

hoolign
03-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Your Ideas are correct only under one supposition...that the seller actually is desperate to sell his boat....
My boat is for sale.....It's paid for, so there is no gun to my head... I want to sell it ......and build something else....That means if my price is too high in your opinion...you will buy something else..doesnt mean its..."anybodys problem".....There is no need for it to ever get personal ....it's business,nothing less.
I love the way my boat drives and looks. If it doesnt sell...and I get to play with it this summer....thats ok.....the next project can wait....
Everyone acts as if every seller is facing forclosure.....It's simply not the case.
My last Edge I sold,and the Baja after it ...I put a price on them,considerably above the going average......and someone came along and paid cash.....every penny of the asking price,both times.
There are buyers out there .....for everything... within reason....the right person just has to stumble across the ad..
Your not saying that.. You put a price on something you had for sale...and somebody paid it?? You may be onto something here!!:devil:

Jbb
03-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Your not saying that.. You put a price on something you had for sale...and somebody paid it?? You may be onto something here!!:devil:
It happens to me .....every time.......:D

HocusPocus
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
i have had that happen at least twice but that was a couple years ago, with so many used boats on the market these days its going to be tougher to get someone to pay top dollar on a used boat. not impossible, just tougher.

Fast Freddy
03-10-2007, 07:13 PM
i hate people who make an offer to buy my shit over the phone without ever even seeing it in person. when somebody does that i immediately loose total respect for them and let them know it. they never call me back again because i always call them out on it. what i say to them that exposes them for who they really are is the following:
"how can you make an offer on something you have never seen in person before" "how do you know that the boat is represented as i say it is" "the price i advertise is the price that the boat is worth and what i will sell it for to a buyer sight unseen" "i only entertain lower offers in person" "so if you wanna offer to buy my boat for less than advertised price then you must see the boat in person to do so and then tell me that you think that the boat is not worth what i ask for it"
every person that has ever taken the time to see my shit for sale used in person has never questioned me about its worth.
the reality is my shit don't stink. i sell nothin but the best. i had several different people call me about my kachina for sale and some of them made me a phone offer and i told them what i said above. the bottomline was the first person that was seriously "lookin" to buy my boat was the first and the last person who took the time to step into my garage and "look in person" to see how i cared for, modified and took my boat to the next level. they did all of this before they even made me an offer on my boat which is what i would do with anything used that i would be looking to buy as well. as soon as that dude walked into my garage and laid eyes on my boat i made sure that i got a good look at his face. because i knew that whatever expression i saw on his face would be an expression by which all buyers could be judged. the look that i saw in his eyes was the look that says "I AM BUYIN". he wanted is so bad he offered to write me a check right on the spot. he didn't want to leave without the boat hooked up to his rig. he was scared that somebody else would find this hidden treasure and buy it out from under him, lol.
as the original and only owner i bought the boat for $28k and put another $12k of mods into over the 11 years that i owned it. that doesn't include all the thousands of $$$$ in maintenance bills. i had receipts for everything. the boat was in exceptional condition considering the use it had. he bought the boat for $15,500. at the end of the day IMO he got the better deal. as a seller its very hard to get your $$$$$ back out of toys like these and i know that and most people do. for me personally when it comes to buying something used my standards are very HIGH. i wont buy just anybodies used shit and rarely do because most of the crap out there has been misused, abused, neglected, rigged and jacked up. but no matter what just remember this i never make an offer over the phone for something i haven't seen in person first and neither should you.
people should give each other the opportunity for RESPECT when buying and selling and if neither one of the parties can bring that to the table in a transaction then i want no part of it.

centerhill condor
03-10-2007, 07:33 PM
show up with the cash in your hand otherwise you're just wasting his time and that is how he's gonna act!
I've sold cars, boats, bikes, houses and I don't budge until I see the money. Especially when some guys says how much are you willing to come off the price without seeing "it"...I mean go play monopoly tuff guy with other game players...If you want it bad enough you'll pay big enough.
its all business no time for hurt feelings.

Fast Freddy
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
show up with the cash in your hand otherwise you're just wasting his time and that is how he's gonna act!
I've sold cars, boats, bikes, houses and I don't budge until I see the money. Especially when some guys says how much are you willing to come off the price without seeing "it"...I mean go play monopoly tuff guy with other game players...If you want it bad enough you'll pay big enough.
its all business no time for hurt feelings.
AMEN brother. last month i just bought a brand new 2006 FORD GT (the one with the motor in the back like the original GT-40's from the sixties). when i told the salesman that i was buyin the car that was sittin there in the middle of the showroom floor roped off from all the others he said "yeah right, you and everybody else too. and if i had a dollar for evertime i heard that i wouldn't be working here." i said well this is your lucky day buddy because my bank is ready to wire you the $$$$$$ right now. needless to say he was shocked. i paid the "MSRP" sticker price and towed the car home with a new matching trailex enclosed trailer i bought at the barrett-jackson auto auction the month before. that car was mine and he knew it.