PDA

View Full Version : Knocking on a 455

75MillerJet
03-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I need a couple possible field diagnoses and fixes on a stock 455 that has some knocking coming from the right side of the motor. This is for a buddy of mine who is clueless when it comes to mechanics, however, I'm not too sure where to go with this either. Not sure if its steam or smoke but one of the two was coming out more on that side of the exhaust. For some reason the oil psi guage reads the maximum reading at all times. This is even with a new sending unit and new guage. I took the sending unit off and put a wrapped thumb over the fitting and we definitely got some good pressure. Could it have anything to do with the valves too tight/loose because thats the last thing I messed with on that motor when I put push rod restrictors in. Thanx for ur help guys.
Pat
PS - Boy, am i glad I don't have a 455 anymore. :eek:

Daytona100
03-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Do a compression check for the head gasket issue. And drain your oil and pull the filter apart and look for metal.:idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
03-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Valves too loose will get you a light clicking tapping sound.
An actual knock sounding like somebody is hitting the block with a hammer, be afraid for your lower end bearings (the rods).
Check as described above but I think I would be planning to pull it, flip it and eyeball the bottom end of the motor.