PDA

View Full Version : Man dies falling out of 19’ Checkmate at 116MPH

1BIGJIM
07-18-2003, 06:05 AM
This link is an article in the Omaha Nebraska newspaper about a person who fell out of a boat and died. They calculated his speed at 116MPH based on a hand held GPS they found in his boat. The lawyers are claiming the calculated speed can not be correct. I saw the boat, it has a built 454 with a blower and two carbs. How much HP and what size of prop would someone need to get a 19’ boat up to 100MPH?
web page (http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/2336772/detail.html)

shockwaveharry
07-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Makes you think twice about taking people out for a "speed run".

Eric455
07-18-2003, 10:32 PM
shockwaveharry:
Makes you think twice about taking people out for a "speed run". thats right, i second that. speed-run go alone. cruising speed= take everyone.
my prayers are with him wish the family the best.

Jungle Boy
07-19-2003, 08:03 AM
If you have a boat that runs that fast or anywhere near that, you should be wearing 5 point seat belts (lap belts at minimum), helmet and a proper life jacket that isn't going to blow apart. I've been tossed out of a boat a couple of times at 50 mph and 75 mph and it HURT both times. It doesn't take much of a wave to put some very bad things in motion. 116 mph in a 19' boat without the proper gear and a support boat near by is just rolling the dice on dieing.

Moneypitt
07-19-2003, 12:14 PM
SEAT BELTS????IN A BOAT!!!!!!

SERIOUS ISSUES
07-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Moneypitt:
SEAT BELTS????IN A BOAT!!!!!! Fly out and get hurt, maybee dead. Put on a seat belt and have you head get ripped off (for sure dead). I take my chances.
SEAT BELT = CAPSULE ONLY. if you are in a capsule at the lake you better have a dive crew w/ ya.
serious though.. I hate to see any fatality in a boat or any othr sport. I you are playing, wear the safety gear.

Jungle Boy
07-19-2003, 06:39 PM
SERIOUS ISSUES:
Moneypitt:
SEAT BELTS????IN A BOAT!!!!!! Fly out and get hurt, maybee dead. Put on a seat belt and have you head get ripped off (for sure dead). I take my chances.
SEAT BELT = CAPSULE ONLY. if you are in a capsule at the lake you better have a dive crew w/ ya.
serious though.. I hate to see any fatality in a boat or any othr sport. I you are playing, wear the safety gear. In my opinion, you have a lot better chance of getting tossed out than you do flipping your boat over. We wear them in my boat for sure. Any rough water or a wave (for you lake guys) at high speed will easily have enough power to throw you out of the boat but the boat stays flat in the water. It's kind of like driving around in a convertable GTO in a gravel pit at 80 mph. I'd still rather stay with the car, cause the ground will feel the same as the water at 80 mph. Again, just my opinion.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/259Baldy99.jpg

Rocket2003
07-24-2003, 05:41 AM
I'd rather get away from the boat and be wearing all the right safty gear (see picture). If I'm staying in the boat give me a kevlar capsual and breathing equipment!

Rocket2003
I'd rather get away from the boat and be wearing all the right safty gear (see picture). If I'm staying in the boat give me a kevlar capsual and breathing equipment!

Rocket2003
I'd rather get away from the boat and be wearing all the right safty gear (see picture).
If I'm staying in the boat give me a kevlar capsual and breathing equipment!
my two cents!
http://www.dragboats.com/gallery/images/02_07_ASN_3263_875.jpg
[ July 24, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Rocket2003 ]

GofastRacer
07-24-2003, 07:20 AM
I'll go along with that!.. eek! eek!