PDA

View Full Version : Paint/Metalflake/Clear question

ck7684
03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm beginning a resto project on my Cobrajet and am wondering about the paint. It was re-clear coated before I bought it 8 yrs ago, but it's pretty rough looking now. It has a blue metalflake color that I am hoping I can bring back to life. Does anyone have any pointers? Can I just sand down the clear and reshoot it again? Is there anything different about it being metalflake?

pw_Tony
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm beginning a resto project on my Cobrajet and am wondering about the paint. It was re-clear coated before I bought it 8 yrs ago, but it's pretty rough looking now. It has a blue metalflake color that I am hoping I can bring back to life. Does anyone have any pointers? Can I just sand down the clear and reshoot it again? Is there anything different about it being metalflake?
U would just detrim the whole boat and wet sand it with 800-1000 grit, lightly not to break the paint. And reclear it, I wouldn't mess with gel coat. Or you can do a 1000-2000 wet sand buff process and usuall turns out pretty nice. I've been doing paint for 10 yrs and clearing it is more work, but a nice STRONG finish, cause boats get bashed out in water and san. But for less money a wet sand and buff usually turns out good:)

ck7684
03-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks!! Can I treat this like a normal car body?? I've done that before. Is there any special clear I should use with the metalflake to prevent yellowing??
I also just noticed that there is a paint section for tech stuff. My apologies, I'm kinda new here...:)

pw_Tony
03-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah they're just like a car but usually thicker for protection. I'm not sure where your flake came from so it's hard to say which clear and instructions but a eurathane should work good. Some guys like to sand their primer with fine paper before paint but I wouldn't go past 400grit cause I feel like a boat's paint needs more to grab so it doesn't chip.