PDA

View Full Version : Credit card use without having the card?

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 03:42 PM
This will seem like a bit of an odd inquiry since EVERYONE has a credit card these days but so far I have not. Just last friday I found out that I will need to go on a business trip to Nebraska for 4 weeks, leaving just a few days from now. I will need to pay for flights, rental car, hotel, etc out of my pocket and will be reimbursed when I return. This isn't a problem for people with credit cards, because the company will pay you back before payment is due. For me, it is a real pain because I pay cash or cheque for everything.
So anyways, my plan is to try to go get a credit card tomorrow morning. I know I won't be able to get the actual card, but will come away with a number and expiry date. Some of my buddies claim this will be all I need and I can should be able to use that to pay for the hotel, etc... but I am worried I will get there and be turned away if I don't have the tangible card in my hand.
Anyone here have any guesses if it will work or not?

photo chick
03-11-2007, 04:02 PM
This will seem like a bit of an odd inquiry since EVERYONE has a credit card these days but so far I have not. Just last friday I found out that I will need to go on a business trip to Nebraska for 4 weeks, leaving just a few days from now. I will need to pay for flights, rental car, hotel, etc out of my pocket and will be reimbursed when I return. This isn't a problem for people with credit cards, because the company will pay you back before payment is due. For me, it is a real pain because I pay cash or cheque for everything.
So anyways, my plan is to try to go get a credit card tomorrow morning. I know I won't be able to get the actual card, but will come away with a number and expiry date. Some of my buddies claim this will be all I need and I can should be able to use that to pay for the hotel, etc... but I am worried I will get there and be turned away if I don't have the tangible card in my hand.
Anyone here have any guesses if it will work or not?
Are you saying you don't even have a debit card from your bank account? I'm assuming you don't have one of those... I would book your hotel over the phone, that way you have a room regardless. You may have to leave extra cash with the hotel when you check in for incidentals. I can't imagine you'll being able to rent a car without a credit card in your hand. Maybe your bank can issue you one right away. I know I lost my debit card and they gave me a new one on the spot, I'd say that's your best bet....
good luck!

YeLLowBoaT
03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
most companys will over night you a card if you ask for it...

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I do have a Interact debit card from my bank. I just don't want to pay for the entire trip myself right now. The plane is about $2500, and I have no idea what hotel and car rental will be. I'm only sitting on about $6000 in the bank right now, so I don't want to get in a situation where I have no money to pay my bills here at home. If there is anyway I could get a credit card made up on the spot that would be perfect.

Nord
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I do have a Interact debit card from my bank. I just don't want to pay for the entire trip myself right now. The plane is about $2500, and I have no idea what hotel and car rental will be. I'm only sitting on about $6000 in the bank right now, so I don't want to get in a situation where I have no money to pay my bills here at home. If there is anyway I could get a credit card made up on the spot that would be perfect.
I'm guessing your going to be 1099'd on this. Just pay with travelers checks or money order and keep reciepts. Everyone accepts money order from a bank.. :)

Nord
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
If you can't, or don't want to front the money, then ask for the company credit card. They should issue you access under the conditions.

photo chick
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
If you can get a CC over night great. Otherwise, can you ask your company for a cash advance for travel? You're right, that's a long trip to come out of your pocket. I was a corp accountant for years and I wrote advance checks for travel all the time.

photo chick
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I just re-read the cost of your airfare....you fly first class or what? That's crazy expensive!!

came along during the sunk boat thread
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
if you can get a CC number and ex date, you'll most likely need the security code on the back as well.

rrrr
03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Snoop, you don't have to rent the entire airplane.......you only need one seat.
Fukkin' farmer. :D :D

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm flying economy. The reason the flight is so expensive is:
1. Its in canadian money = worthless
2. Buying ticket only a couple days in advance, so no discount.
3. I'm going down for 2 weeks, back for a week, and then back for another 2 weeks. So that $ is for 2 flights.
I would like to get a company card. I didn't think I would need one because I wasn't expecting to travel much. I spent a week in Iowa last fall, which came out to about $2000 total, which wasn't so bad... I could front that no problem. They'd been telling me for months that I would need to come down to Nebraska, but only for a few days... I never thought it would be for 4 weeks.

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Snoop, you don't have to rent the entire airplane.......you only need one seat.
Fukkin' farmer. :D :D
I guess I should go on a diet before my next company trip:D

Boatcop
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Knowing where your avatar came from, maybe you can "go down" to the seedy side of town and make a few extra bucks.
:D :sqeyes:

496mag
03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
This sounds like it is your companies problem not yours. I would tell them they need to cut you a check or prepay your expences even your per diem or you wont be able to go.

YeLLowBoaT
03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
This sounds like it is your companies problem not yours. I would tell them they need to cut you a check or prepay your expences even your per diem or you wont be able to go.
be careful with that... its a great way to get a pink slip.

Ziggy
03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
If you can't, or don't want to front the money, then ask for the company credit card. They should issue you access under the conditions.
If I send my employees for training or work related travel then generally I book and pay the airline and forward the hotel my CC info for the persons room and board expenses with autorization for them to add certain related incidentals.
It should be a relatively standard method for companies.

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
It SHOULD be standard practice, since I am with a very large corporation (Case New Holland), but I am in a unique situation. Although I work in the Seeding and Tillage R&D office in Saskatoon, Canada, I am actually a contract engineer for the Combine group at the Mt. Joy, Iowa facility. I am the only person doing this and it often causes problems because Mt Joy leaves me out-of-the-loop on certain things (like company credit cards), and Saskatoon also leaves me out because they always see me as not really "one of them". Everyone else seems to have certain procedures they follow but when I ask what to do about something they just shrug and say "gee, i dunno, this is the first time it's come up." It's not all bad though.... I am the only person at the office that gets paid overtime:D ... but certain things like not getting a company credit card when everyone else does seems like bull crap. I think that's what I am going to push for tomorrow. I don't see why I need to get a personal card for business when everyone else (at both locations) have company cards.

SnoopJonnyJon
03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
be careful with that... its a great way to get a pink slip.
I'm not going to get myself fired over this. Worst case scenario I just go down and pay debit, and if I get low in cash, phone up my dad and he'll put money in my account and I can pay him back as soon as I get home. Which really wouldn't be the end of the world, just see no need when it is for work.