PDA

View Full Version : XR drive trim problem

prosthogod
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I hate to ask a boating question, but here goes. My trim gauge is acting haywire,going all over the place and my trim actually seems to move on its own. This can be a serious proble going full trottle. Is this a loose wire in the sending unit on the drive or does the whole unit need to be replaced? If so who in Havasu would have one or fix this,othe rthan Aeron at absolute?

shippingguy
03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I hate to ask a boating question, but here goes. My trim gauge is acting haywire,going all over the place and my trim actually seems to move on its own. This can be a serious proble going full trottle. Is this a loose wire in the sending unit on the drive or does the whole unit need to be replaced? If so who in Havasu would have one or fix this,othe rthan Aeron at absolute?
You may have a solenoid going bad in the trim pump. I had a solenoid go out on my XR Drive on my last boat. AJ at Savage fixed it. Easy fix and quick if this is the case. Just my .02. Good luck.

Nord
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Is your trim on your throttle stick?? I had this problem and found that right above the zip ties where the wire was held to the stick, there was a nasty bend that had opened up the wire insulation and caused an arch. I would take a look. Sounds like you have a bad ground or an arch in the line somewhere....
~NORD~

ANXIETY ATTACK
03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
test relays on trim pump with harness disconnected, if good, check wire harness. dissconect trim hyd. cyclinders and trim sender harness, move drive up and down by hand and check potientiometer with an OHM meter, look for smoth and steady #s, and then i would test-replace trim switch.

98 Vector 21
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Chris Hamlin @ Prestige Marine # 928-680-3344 WWW.prestigeautomotivemarine.com

TCHB
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
If it is the gauge I would look on the drive itself and see if the screw is loose on the adjustments. If it is loose it will act wacky.

BADBLOWN572
03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
If the drive starts trimming itself, it is either going to be your trim switch on the throttle or a solenoid hanging up. Simple to test. Take a hot wire and jump it to the solenoid posts. If the pump stops when you take it off the posts, probably not your solenoids. Try it a couple of times to make sure. At that point in time, try it with your trim switch. If it hangs up, it is your trim switch.
If only the gauge is reading bad, it is either loose screws on the plastic caps on the side of the gimbal or a bad gauge. Nothing mechanical with the trim gauges.
Easy solution is to disconnect the trim gauge all together and drive by feel. ;) It is the best way! :)

Kilrtoy
03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
had the same problem on my old boat, it was a trim switch, five dollar part 145 fix

prosthogod
03-13-2007, 07:04 AM
thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to try all this in Havi the next 3 days.