PDA

View Full Version : where should I buy the prop?

Mike K
03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I ready to bite the bullet and buy a lab finished Bravo One prop .... my question is.. where should I buy the prop in Havasu ... This week-end? 3/ 12/07 I want to support the right company. Thank u, Mike K.

nodigg
03-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Richard at the Propellor Company!:D Tell Rick from RVP sent you.

Brewzed
03-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Teague has them on the shelf

Brewzed
03-12-2007, 06:00 PM
guess I should have read "in Havasu". My bad

Pro Max
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok, If you want a lab prop that defintly works go to Teague and get a " Mercury Lab " They can have it to you the next day. You know the saying " you get what you pay for " that couldnt be more true when it comes to props. NOTHING AGAINST Richard as he is great at repairing props but for a new one pay the price call Teague

dicudmore
03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
ditto,if he don't have it try absolute,then alco,REMBER SAVAGE ONLY SELLS TO IT'S REG CUSTOMER'S,so you will have to go home if they don't have it:D :idea: :D
hey Mark, Adrian doesn't seem to have that same sales policy...he's worth giving a shot :cool:
as said above--pay the $$$ for a MERCURY lab prop if you want a labbed prop. Any of the shops can order them for you.

phebus
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
What size do you need? I have a Bravo 1 24P that was labbed by Bronson Hill, and pitched up to 25P by Richard at the Prop Shop that you are welcome to try, and if you like it, I'll sell it for $450. Great speed prop, in perfect condition.

Jyruiz
03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
What size do you need? I have a Bravo 1 24P that was labbed by Bronson Hill, and pitched up to 25P by Richard at the Prop Shop that you are welcome to try, and if you like it, I'll sell it for $450. Great speed prop, in perfect condition.
I am looking for a 24P, you just had to go and get it pitched to 25P didn't ya?:mad: :D

dicudmore
03-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I am looking for a 24P, you just had to go and get it pitched to 25P didn't ya?:mad: :D
leave it to Phebus to phuck up a perfectly good prop sale huh jy?

phebus
03-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I was running a stock 24P, but had a little room to the rev limiter, so I tried a 24 labbed, but that hit the rev limiter, so a pitch up to 25 kept it off the limiter, and gained a little speed.
Ho true. I could break a hammer. :)

Havasu Carrera
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Since its labbed you should be able to spin it close to redline (stock ho right?) 25 should be just right in my limited knowledge.:confused: And he said you could try it?

phebus
03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I was able to spin the labbed 25 about 150rpm more then my stock 24, and it put me right below the rev limiter (approx 5150rpm) when it was cool, and I would lose about 300rpm or so when it got hot. This was with a 496HO in a 26' (heavy) cat. It was the fastest prop I ever tried on my boat, but I'm running a prop now, that works better at cruising speed, but isn't as fast.

Dman
03-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Hey Mark, if you end up trying it and don't like it let me know cause I think that would be the prop I'm looking for my Rage when I'm down at Mojave. And what are you doing up at 4 am in Big Water?

Dman
03-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Yeah I'm still here! We are heading down to Mojave for Easter with Mark and Amee, you hung out with them on fathers day last year I think. But I believe we will do our first trip to Powell around May 5th and we should hook up for sure! Maybe if Phebus is down around Mojave on Easter I could try out that labbed 25 and If I bought it your welcome to borrow it any time. What do ya think Phebus?:idea:

Not So Fast
03-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Juan: Scott has a labbed Bravo 26P by Bronson that I tried and it was about the same as my stock 24 as far as speed and RPM"s. He wants to sell it, give him a call. NSF

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Yup.:D

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Since its labbed you should be able to spin it close to redline (stock ho right?) 25 should be just right in my limited knowledge.:confused: And he said you could try it?
I have the regular 496, non HO.

Jyruiz
03-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Juan: Scott has a labbed Bravo 26P by Bronson that I tried and it was about the same as my stock 24 as far as speed and RPM"s. He wants to sell it, give him a call. NSF
Thanks Bobby, I will talk to him and see what he thinks cause I know right now my prop is too small. I also don't want something to big though, I don't want to take for ever to plane.:)

nodigg
03-13-2007, 08:54 AM
For the record, The Propellor Company sells new AND repaired props. New props are on the shelf and waiting. You get MORE than you pay for IMO. Richard can make your boat do what you want it to do by changing the pitch or cupping. He will work with you to get the right diameter and shape for your hull. :D BTW, even new props out of the box OFTEN need a tune up before use.
I get so tired of hearing you have to go with the big names to get your money's worth!:mad:

phebus
03-13-2007, 09:07 AM
For the record, The Prop Shop sells new AND repaired props. New props are on the shelf and waiting. You get MORE than you pay for IMO. Richard can make your boat do what you want it to do by changing the pitch or cupping. He will work with you to get the right diameter and shape for your hull. :D
I get so tired of hearing you have to go with the big names to get your money's worth!:mad:
Amen to that. If you buy a new labbed prop from Mercury, and it doesn't work exactly as you want/need it to, you are either stuck there, or you end up spending more money for someone else to fine tune it for you. On the other hand, if you work with a good prop shop, and they set a prop up for you, if it doesn't work just how you needed it to, you can use them to add/ reduce pitch, add/reduce cup, etc. to get it exactly where you want it, and they are willing to work with you to get it right.
What are the odds of buying an off the shelf prop, labbed or not, that meets your specifics?

RiverToysJas
03-13-2007, 09:46 AM
When it comes to Props, York is the only man I trust. He just worked some magic (pitch and rake) on my 24 Bravo, I can't wait to get it out on the water!!!!
York Propellers. 1631-B N. Placentia Anaheim, CA 92806 Tel: (714) 773-5444
RTJas :D

THOR
03-13-2007, 10:19 AM
When it comes to Props, York is the only man I trust. He just worked some magic (pitch and rake) on my 24 Bravo, I can't wait to get it out on the water!!!!
There is no better prop guy than York.

Benjhamina
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Not trying to jack the thread but does york do prop repair also? I did damage to my prop and scag at the same time I am emberrased to say and am looking for a good repair shop that can save me some $. I'm in HB.

Hotcobra270
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
im confused here.. i though that the only time you would need to change the pitch of the prop or change to a new prop with a higher pitch is when you go up in horse power... i know i can get an addt 1mph or so if i go with a labbed prop (current ly have a bravo1 26 pitch) ..
i was under the impression that when you bought a custom new boat, the builder would put the best performing prop (fastest) on the boat..
can anyone confirm this or comment on this?
or has anyone changed the prop that came from the builder to a custom prop from a good shop and gotten much better performance?

RiverToysJas
03-13-2007, 01:28 PM
im confused here.. i though that the only time you would need to change the pitch of the prop or change to a new prop with a higher pitch is when you go up in horse power... i know i can get an addt 1mph or so if i go with a labbed prop (current ly have a bravo1 26 pitch) ..
i was under the impression that when you bought a custom new boat, the builder would put the best performing prop (fastest) on the boat..
or has anyone changed the prop that came from the builder to a custom prop from a good shop and gotten much better performance?
To ben, YES - York repairs props also!
To Hotcobra - I can't speak for everyone, but Props can/should be changed for a variety of reasons. If you're going to be towing heavy loads - like big skiers, multiple skiers, big tubes, lots of people in the boat (my boat will sit 10), you may want a prop better tuned to that condition. Your high-end speed prop will have a hard time bringing those kind of loads out of the hole, and up to speed. FOR ME, I'll put my 22Bravo on when we're going to be tubing w/ a lot people all day. If it's a normal weekend, I run my 24 Bravo, which is a better all around prop on my boat. And when we're really running light, and want carry some speed for the long haul (no kids w/ us), I'll run a labbed 25 Mirage 3-blade. That 3-blade can and will blow out in tight turns or aggressive throttle from the hole. That 25 carry's my nose a little better though, esp considering the cab-forward design of my open-bow Lavey. The 24 (my all-around prop), was allowing the boat to rev into the limiter, even in summer heat. I do not want to rev that high, so I asked York to add a little pitch...adding pitch also adds rake...the rake will help carry the nose better, so it should be win/win for my situation, and what I want to do. I still hang onto the 22 for low-end grunt work though.
Hope that helps!

phebus
03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Prop selection is dictated by load, temp, elevation, air pressure, etc., and there is no one prop for a boat. If you can optimize your prop selection to get you at the top end of the engine mfgs. rpm range, while spinning the highest pitch you can, you should see your highest speed (provided you also optimize slip). That is real general though, as there are also diffferent design props, that can provide either more bow lift, or more stern lift. Experimentation is the key to finding what works best for you.