PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converters>>>> You Bet,

Not So Fast
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
At least thats what this months Hot Boat says. California will be the test bed and it will begin on anything sold after Jan1, 2008. Questions, how many builders will vacate Cally, how does this get enforced, will we have smog inspections and how????? Seems lame to me. At least the article says it will be required only on 496 and lower horse power motors and not affect any existing motors or the racing division motors. So maybe if you are buying a new boat you will want to get it delivered before that date. :confused: NSF

Dribble
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
At least thats what this months Hot Boat says. California will be the test bed and it will begin on anything sold after Jan1, 2008. Questions, how many builders will vacate Cally, how does this get enforced, will we have smog inspections and how????? Seems lame to me. At least the article says it will be required only on 496 and lower horse power motors and not affect any existing motors or the racing division motors. So maybe if you are buying a new boat you will want to get it delivered before that date. :confused: NSF
I don't think any builders will vacate Cali. They will still have to comply to sell a new boat here. There will never be a smog check program for boats. Can't be done because you can't run water through an analyzer.

shockwaveharry
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Since this converter thing is EPA backed, I don't think too many builders are going to move their companys out of state just to have to conform anyway 2 years down the road. There will be a price advantage of at least a few thousand dollars to builders out of state in the short run but I don't think it will last for long. Cali builders will just have to absorb it for a few years if they are compeating with an out of state builder. It seems the smog burden is on the motor mfg's like Mercruiser and Indmar, etc. They have to have a percentage of their power packages meet a certain emissions level to lower the average accross the line up. As the years go by, that percentage will be pushed higher and higher, just like CAFE (Corperate Average Fuel Economy) standards for auto mfg's. I wonder how it will effect builders installing customers custom motors? Will they be allowed to "officially" sell a boat less power?
I don't think there will be smog checks but if lakes and rivers only allow boats on that meet the "Star" standards, I would imagine there could be a visual inspection whenever you launch. I heard Diamond Vally Lake is doing that right now.

SummitKarl
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
YIKES!!!!!!! hope they can't go retroactive on this:jawdrop: :mad:
I wonder just how they plan to do it....actually put a CAT that works on heat into a watercooled exhaust :confused:
what else is there, dump water in post CAT. thats a big red glowing ball of death in a engine compartment:jawdrop:

SB
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
That's right, people are going to die from this stupidity.
BTW, marine emission are less than 1% of total emissions, so even if marine engines were totally eliminated, it would not make a measurable effect.
Liberals should have a bounty on their heads.

shockwaveharry
03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Here's the first one out from Indmar. Looks like a pretty nice piece. Negligable increase in engine compartment heat (same increase as installing closed cooling), no loss in performance and a 12-28% increase in fuel economy because they operate in closed loop, rich/lean feedback from an o2 sensor. I'd carry an extra sensor in my tool kit though... They die just from condensation sometimes!
http://www.indmar.com/Innovations/ETX-CAT/ETXCATcutawayweb.png

robk
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Here's the first one out from Indmar. Looks like a pretty nice piece. Negligable increase in engine compartment heat (same increase as installing closed cooling), no loss in performance and a 12-28% increase in fuel economy because they operate in closed loop, rich/lean feedback from an o2 sensor. I'd carry an extra sensor in my tool kit though... They die just from condensation sometimes!
The best part about O2 sensors is when they gall the threads on the exhaust when you attempt to remove one. :mad:
The increase in fuel economy doesn't sound bad at all.... Wonder how performance is affected.
Rob

YeLLowBoaT
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
That's right, people are going to die from this stupidity.
BTW, marine emission are less than 1% of total emissions, so even if marine engines were totally eliminated, it would not make a measurable effect.
Liberals should have a bounty on their heads.
It has less to do with emissions and more do to do with dumb ass killing themselfs With CO.

shockwaveharry
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
It has less to do with emissions and more do to do with dumb ass killing themselfs With CO.
The cats will reduce the deaths of dumb asses across the country. I say man should not interfere with natural selection... :D

SummitKarl
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
they will still die...it will just take a minute or two longer:D

phebus
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Doesn't almost everyone from Cali register their boats in AZ anyway to avoid the luxury tax?

SummitKarl
03-12-2007, 06:56 PM
actually that looks like a very good design, looks hard as hell to make and expensive to replace tho.
I am sure it will choke down the noise factor a bit too.;)
IMO closed loop will be good for boats and their owners in the long run as motors should last longer with real time feedback rather than fuel maping set points

YeLLowBoaT
03-12-2007, 07:02 PM
The cats will reduce the deaths of dumb asses across the country. I say man should not interfere with natural selection... :D
I agree... let them stick thier face right ina exhaust pipe... works for me.

bigq
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
they will still die...it will just take a minute or two longer:D
Thats kinda funny , in a sad true way...:D

probablecause
03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
That is the gayest ****in' thing I have ever heard. A recent study showed that over a third of L.A.'s smog can be traced to China and the other pung-lee anti-smog countries... but the Al Gores seem to think that the boating industry will actually make a difference. GMAFB (Give Me A * Break). I am so sick of this State and its B.S.. Just keep using older blocks.

DMOORE
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
No loss of horse power? Give me a break. Don't believe all the marketing hype. There is NO way you can run a cat without losing HP and Torque. I feel sorry for the first people that have to run these pieces of shit. Anyone remember the early cats on cars ? How many fires did they cause. And what happens when they fail? Can you say engine damage. And no I am NOT happy with stupid laws being enacted that will make NO difference to the environment, by some tree hugging idiot.
Darrell.

Baja Big Dog
03-12-2007, 09:30 PM
No loss of horse power? Give me a break. Don't believe all the marketing hype. There is NO way you can run a cat without losing HP and Torque. I feel sorry for the first people that have to run these pieces of shit. Anyone remember the early cats on cars ? How many fires did they cause. And what happens when they fail? Can you say engine damage. And no I am NOT happy with stupid laws being enacted that will make NO difference to the environment, by some tree hugging idiot.
Darrell.
No more boats around dry tule grass......:jawdrop: