PDA

View Full Version : Whipple on a '98 454 Dually?

Sweeney
02-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I know the latest, bitchen way to tow is with a turbo diesel, but I already OWN a lowered '98 Chevy crew cab with a 454. Pulling a 36' gooseneck at about 11,000 lbs loaded.
Even though Whipple can no longer get the compressor (i.e. blower) for my application, I've managed to find a good used one. My question is, has anyone here actually owned one similar to what I've described, and were you happy with it? Anything you would have done differently?
Thanks!

Sleek-Jet
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Sweeny...
You might ask Stingray over on Havasudoug's board. He's got a 93 dually for sale with a whipple.
http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

YeLLowBoaT
02-02-2006, 12:42 PM
if you have a Auto trans make sure you do somthing too "beef it up" ( they have kits that swap out some vavle s and boost line presure) or you will be looking for a new 1 soon.

Beer-30
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433frontcrop.jpg
Well, I don't know about yours, but my '98 in the pic only has 72K on it. Even that "low" of miles (for a '98), I wouldn't expect the short block to last much longer with a Whipple. By the time you beefed the tranny and totally up that cost with the parts, labor and estimated cost of a future rebuild (when the lower end lets go) - you would probably be money ahead to just hang on and deal with it until you can pick up a coupla-year-old Duramax dually and be set.
I have headers, intake, and MSD wires - but that's about all I am going to do. Next year, after the new body styles have been out awhile, I will get a new dually toward the end of the year (2008 model).

Sweeney
02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Sweeny...
You might ask Stingray over on Havasudoug's board. He's got a 93 dually for sale with a whipple.
http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi
Thanks dude, but that's a '92 he now "had". Engine combo changed from '92 to my '98. Thanks for the heads-up though.
8 lbs of boost shouldn't have any drastic effect on the bottom end at like 3500 rpm. Mine has 70,000 miles on it.
But again, has anyone actually run one?

Beer-30
02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh, I know of several around here, but are since gone. The two I was fairly close to were sold out of town, don't know how they are doing.
My meaning on the bottom end is more rings and bearings. I don't know how many miles you have, but mine has already given about 1/3 or 1/2 of it's life - as I see it. Even though it's been on a synthetic diet since birth, I just wouldn't see the rotating assembly and seals handling the extra pressure for too long.
Not a Vortec, but had a 95 TBI 350 (210HP) in a 3/4 ton. Put on a Whipple at 98,000 miles and the bearings let go at 125,000. Put in a new crate motor and after break in, but the Whipple back on. All is still fine and the pickup is going on 195,000. By the way, this is still on the original 4L80E, like in ours. Granted, it's not a big block in front of it. Strong tranny just the same.

sigepmock
02-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I ran the Whipple on my 03 2500HD with the 6.0L. I ran 7lbs and the truck was smoking fast and very reliable. Dustin and the rest of the guys at Whipple took great care of me and above and beyond more than once to make sure I was happy. I will echo the tranny upgrade sugestion. I had the 4L80E(85E) tranny and the S/C worked it pretty hard. I would recommend a quality shift kit with upgrades clutches and a LARGE tranny cooler.
I talked to Dustin a few weeks agao and they are back up and running with a new and improved compressor that they are making stateside now. The numbers I were pretty impressive plus they aren't reliant on another manufacturer now. I think Dustins still at the LA boat show this week but give him a PM on here and he will get back to you. I think his screen name is Whipplecharged.
Again great product with tons of usable low rpm power. My 6500+ lb truck on 35's was faster than my wifes 03 Mustang GT 5 speed and dead even with a Lexus GS400 plus it was super drivable day to day, you didn't even notice the S/C until you got on it.
I've since switched to a Dmax simply because that 6.0L/366 c.i. motor just wasn't big enough to tow the weights I need to tow. I will tell you this I miss that Whipple Charged truck every day.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer, I know you set-up will be quite a bit different than my 6.0L was but I'll answer as much as I can.
Chris

Sweeney
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
I ended up following Billy B's lead and bought a new '06 F-350 Powerstroke CC Dually. Will never go back to a Chevrolet truck ever again!