PDA

View Full Version : To Dyno or not to Dyno

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 06:49 AM
That is the question. When building a new motor or rebuilding an existing motor, (making some changes) do you throw it on the dyno? Why or why not?

gn7
03-13-2007, 06:54 AM
ole gordie will do it for nada, so I'd go it

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Gordie spends more time on the dyno than anyone I know.

Roaddogg 4040
03-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I would do it except I ran out of money just after I bought a couple of spark plugs...:) Sure hope they last the whole year...
Steve

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I would do it except I ran out of money just after I bought a couple of spark plugs...:) Sure hope they last the whole year...
Steve
So you are saying you would dyno if you had the money? I was just reading on The V drive site about the whole timing and dyno issue.. thought I would bring it up over here.

Roaddogg 4040
03-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I would love to dyno the new motor but we are out of money and out of time... I think that Art dosen't see much use in it from his posts on Az Don's site but we haven't even talked about it since we are out of time... I would really like to see how and where the motor puts out the torque and HP. Oh well, we don't have the time anyway... Maybe next year.
Steve

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:19 AM
I think the blown injected deals require a dyno that can handle that kind of power. I have never been around when a K motor was dynoed. I heard the motor in Chuck Boyds boat made over 1600hp. When I first started boat racing I was totally against dynoing. I thought it was pointless and a waste of money. Fast forward to today and I think you are crazy if you dont dyno a new motor or altered motor.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Art Anderson doesn't need a dyno, he revs his motors to redline while squeezing the dampner in one hand manually measuring its resistance.:)
And no, he doesn't hurt the dampner...

Carnivalride
03-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I was just reading on The V drive site about the whole timing and dyno issue.. thought I would bring it up over here.
Man look at you trying to stir the pot!!! :2purples: You saw what it did over on the other forum so what do you go and do?!??!? :D :D

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I would not use one unless I personally knew the operator and can be there to over see it!..
I am particularly interested in this response. What are you implying Art? Are you saying that dyno operators are disreputable?

Moneypitt
03-13-2007, 07:51 AM
I haven't been on v drive and seen it yet, but IF I had an oppertunity to use a dyno for testing I would be all over it. Testing meands pulling, changing, pulling, changing...........You know, about a weeks worth, Free of course. Now I will be glad to document everything and post a nice informative thread about the results, just need the free dyno time...........Ray

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah, and anything the customer wants to see!..
How about this one? Are you saying that the consumer is getting buffaloed?

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Well here's my take on a dyno, if you're intentions are just to do experimenting and to find out how much power you can squeeze out of a motor then that's fine and dandy, otherwise put the motor in the boat and run it, if you're out in front you have enough power so who gives a shit, why waste the money and wear and tear on the motor on the dyno, the tune up on the dyno is out to lunch when you put it in the boat anyhow. And unless you really know the dyno shop and the operator, you're likely to get the numbers your hoping to get anyhow!... That is my personal feelings about it!..:D

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I am particularly interested in this response. What are you implying Art? Are you saying that dyno operators are disreputable?
Yes there are some that are, I have seen it personally, I'm not saying that all are disreputable!..

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:00 AM
How about this one? Are you saying that the consumer is getting buffaloed?
Some are some aren't!..

Fiat48
03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Please link me to the site / thread where dyno's were discussed.

dossangers
03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
There good sales tools also backs up what ever the builders selling for the uninformed !!! and you know your engine runs!!!!!! that you just shelled out 20k for!!:jawdrop:

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Well here's my take on a dyno, if you're intentions are just to do experimenting and to find out how much power you can squeeze out of a motor then that's fine and dandy, otherwise put the motor in the boat and run it, if you're out in front you have enough power so who gives a shit, why waste the money and wear and tear on the motor on the dyno, the tune up on the dyno is out to lunch when you put it in the boat anyhow. And unless you really know the dyno shop and the operator, you're likely to get the numbers your hoping to get anyhow!... That is my personal feelings about it!..:D
Art, You could not be more way off base! We go from the dyno to the water and might be a jet off. If you think a pull on the dyno is any harder on a motor than a full pass at the track you are sorely mistaken. Breaking in a motor on a dyno is far more thorough than running it at the lake as well. I am fairly sure that you cannot be as accurate in BSFC #s as well, a dyno. $500 to get a motor dialed is chump change compared to 2 races or trips to the lake. When you get the motor off the dyno it is ready to go. How do you think the people who are out in front got there? They spent countless hours doing their homework on a dyno.

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
For Fiat
http://www.v-driveboat.com/showthread.php?threadid=998&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Art, You could not be more way off base! We go from the dyno to the water and might be a jet off. If you think a pull on the dyno is any harder on a motor than a full pass at the track you are sorely mistaken. Breaking in a motor on a dyno is far more thorough than running it at the lake as well. I am fairly sure that you cannot be as accurate in BSFC #s as well, a dyno. $500 to get a motor dialed is chump change compared to 2 races or trips to the lake. When you get the motor off the dyno it is ready to go. How do you think the people who are out in front got there? They spent countless hours doing their homework on a dyno.
Then how did the guys back in the day that couldn't afford dyno's still won races and set records!..

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Then how did the guys back in the day that couldn't afford dyno's still won races and set records!..
Its like having a gun in your pocket Art.
You could be BMOC in the racing world and not have to use the gun in your pocket. (Since you are Art Anderson and have 5 more balls than Lance Armstrong) you dont need a gun. But then, the class starts to step up and go around you. Are you gonna break out that gun?
Do you think WJ or Greg Anderson stay away from dynos?
I get it if someone can't afford to dyno. But to make it sound pointless and a waste of money is wrong.

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:19 AM
If you think a pull on the dyno is any harder on a motor than a full pass at the track you are sorely mistaken.
I didn't say that, but every pull is one less pass at the track, and I like to se results on the clocks!..

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I didn't say that, but every pull is one less pass at the track!..
So is each aborted run due to a bad tune up. A pass @8.50 when the motor will eventually run 8.0s is one less pass at the track.

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 08:23 AM
When a customer gets to sit in on the dyno of their motor it is a huge education like Wayne stated.

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Its like having a gun in your pocket Art.
You could be BMOC in the racing world and not have to use the gun in your pocket. (Since you are Art Anderson and have 5 more balls than Lance Armstrong) you dont need a gun. But then, the class starts to step up and go around you. Are you gonna break out that gun?
Do you think WJ or Greg Anderson stay away from dynos?
I get it if someone can't afford to dyno. But to make it sound pointless and a waste of money is wrong.
Now you're way off base, reread my post, I said if all you're trying to do is squeeze all the power from a motor that's fine, and now you're getting back to the rich guys that have the money to spend on a dyno to squeeze every ounce of power from a motor!.... Right or wrong, I'm still sticking to my views!..

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:28 AM
So is each aborted run due to a bad tune up. A pass @8.50 when the motor will eventually run 8.0s is one less pass at the track.
That's true but I'd still rather do it at the track!.

VDRIVERACING
03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
You might give Mike Johnson at JMS a call at (626) 579-4567. They just moved their shop to El Monte and were in the process of setting of the dyno. Mike knows boat engines. He and his dad, Don, set up my last motor for my first GN race and it ran like a top right out of the gate.
As far as the debate, I'll never put a new motor in a boat again without first testing it on the dyno. The dynos of today are so sensitive to what's happening in the motor and will even start to shut them down if a minimal unexpected loss in power is detected. I prefer to race at the lake, not try to figure out the engine...

RUSSO
03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Sounds like Chuck Norris wears ART ANDERSON PJS to bed..7 Balls!! ONE BAD DUDE...HAHAHA J/K :D

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Sounds like Chuck Norris wears ART ANDERSON PJS to bed..7 Balls!! ONE BAD DUDE...HAHAHA J/K :D
LMAO!...:D

lilrick
03-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Tony is such a fiesty little fella......oh that makes me horny.

Roaddogg 4040
03-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Now kids, lets all be nice...
Steve

WannabeRacing
03-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Here is my take;
Dynos are like anything else in this world. Some will use it for good, and some will mis-use it.
A final number does not mean anything. And I mean anything at all. The only thing that means anything is performance. We don't race dynos. We race cars and boats. These guys that correct the corrected correction factor to see a big number do nothing. Nothing at all. Just pumping up egos.
The reasons for a dyno are many. The #1 reason is to know that everything is working properly before it goes into the boat. We all have put an engine into a boat or a car and it not run right. Is it the wiring, the engine, the clogged fuel lines, bad converter/prop, etc? Put the thing on the dyno and take the engine out of the equation when it does not run in the boat. All it takes is one successful pull on the dyno. That is not wear and tear. One pull. And if there is a problem, find it there rather than three trips to the lake, or if you are a race boat, three expensive trips of embarassment, stress and anger.
Forget numbers, but look at increase or decrease. Cams are easy to change on the dyno. Cam timing, parts swaps, header changes, different types of oils and weights. Valve lash is easy to change on the dyno. Fuel and timing are easier to change on the dyno. And the dyno throwing out EGT's, fuel and air consupmtion numbers, 5 gas, chamber temps, etc. as well as numbers help to tune. Dynos record things that we cannot in a boat. Did the oil pressure drop to zero there for one brief moment? Where exactly was the oil pressure at 3000, 5000, 7000, 8600? The dyno print out will tell. The driver would probably not have seen it all.
Consistancy for changes. We can run the boat on the water, but when do we really get to measure out perfectly what the changes do? There is more wind this pass than last. More chop on the water, the temp went up 8 degrees, did the driver drive it exactly the same. V-drive oil the same temp? Just too many variables.
Dynos have special programs for breaking in an engine. Cams, rings, etc. Put it on the dyno and let a well written program designed by people that know break it in. The whole time, the operator (insert your own name in here) can oversee and over-ride if they don't like what is going on.
Then take the standard number (please don't inflate this one) to your prop manufacturer or converter/clutch guy if you are on the pavement. They can then make you a piece that is close to perfect first time. Estimating to them 1000 horse BBC when it is really 720 horse will kill you. Also where is peak torque and horsepower to know exactly what you need.
Just because people abuse the dyno for padding egos, does not mean that dynos are not worth every penny. Just like the drunk boaters that hurt someone at the lake does not make boats a bad thing.
I need a dyno because I am not sharp enough to know that it is perfect out of the gate.
And who said anything about 7 balls? The way I count it, it would come out to be 6!

Fiat48
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Tony. Does Grose build and dyno your motors?

Moneypitt
03-13-2007, 09:03 AM
As I said, if I had the chance I would jump on it. Now the time I spend depends on if the dyno time and fumes had anything to do with stunting Gordy's growth......I wouldn't want to be old AND short............MP

Fiat48
03-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Here is my take;
Dynos are like anything else in this world. Some will use it for good, and some will mis-use it.
A final number does not mean anything. And I mean anything at all. The only thing that means anything is performance. We don't race dynos. We race cars and boats. These guys that correct the corrected correction factor to see a big number do nothing. Nothing at all. Just pumping up egos.
The reasons for a dyno are many. The #1 reason is to know that everything is working properly before it goes into the boat. We all have put an engine into a boat or a car and it not run right. Is it the wiring, the engine, the clogged fuel lines, bad converter/prop, etc? Put the thing on the dyno and take the engine out of the equation when it does not run in the boat. All it takes is one successful pull on the dyno. That is not wear and tear. One pull. And if there is a problem, find it there rather than three trips to the lake, or if you are a race boat, three expensive trips of embarassment, stress and anger.
Forget numbers, but look at increase or decrease. Cams are easy to change on the dyno. Cam timing, parts swaps, header changes, different types of oils and weights. Valve lash is easy to change on the dyno. Fuel and timing are easier to change on the dyno. And the dyno throwing out EGT's, fuel and air consupmtion numbers, 5 gas, chamber temps, etc. as well as numbers help to tune. Dynos record things that we cannot in a boat. Did the oil pressure drop to zero there for one brief moment? Where exactly was the oil pressure at 3000, 5000, 7000, 8600? The dyno print out will tell. The driver would probably not have seen it all.
Consistancy for changes. We can run the boat on the water, but when do we really get to measure out perfectly what the changes do? There is more wind this pass than last. More chop on the water, the temp went up 8 degrees, did the driver drive it exactly the same. V-drive oil the same temp? Just too many variables.
Dynos have special programs for breaking in an engine. Cams, rings, etc. Put it on the dyno and let a well written program designed by people that know break it in. The whole time, the operator (insert your own name in here) can oversee and over-ride if they don't like what is going on.
Then take the standard number (please don't inflate this one) to your prop manufacturer or converter/clutch guy if you are on the pavement. They can then make you a piece that is close to perfect first time. Estimating to them 1000 horse BBC when it is really 720 horse will kill you. Also where is peak torque and horsepower to know exactly what you need.
Just because people abuse the dyno for padding egos, does not mean that dynos are not worth every penny. Just like the drunk boaters that hurt someone at the lake does not make boats a bad thing.
I need a dyno because I am not sharp enough to know that it is perfect out of the gate.
And who said anything about 7 balls? The way I count it, it would come out to be 6!
I think that is very well said. And a lot of folks need to read this statement more than once.
I don't know about the balls deal tho.
I know of one instance where a person had a very expensive engine built by a very known engine builder along with a very impressive dyno sheet only to beaten consistently by a basic LS-7. But he still believed his dyno sheet.
I know of my own experience in having an engine flogged on a dyno by another famous builder and record holder (in drag cars) only to get that engine back and run 3 mph slower and .5 second slower.
And I know where a dyno test showed WHY a particular engine combination just would not run over 7000 rpm in a certain drag boat.
So...mileage varies....by dyno operator...engine builder...and engine tuner.
What Art is referring to is what Wannaberacing just said. Art does it his way and there is not a damn thing wrong with that. He'll get there his way. It may not be the quickest way or dare I even say the smartest way but it will be the most rewarding way to Art. Which is what matters.

Sangster
03-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Tony is such a fiesty little fella......oh that makes me horny.
Hummmmmm......:confused: :confused: :confused:

VDRIVERACING
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Here is my take;
The reasons for a dyno are many. The #1 reason is to know that everything is working properly before it goes into the boat. We all have put an engine into a boat or a car and it not run right. Is it the wiring, the engine, the clogged fuel lines, bad converter/prop, etc? Put the thing on the dyno and take the engine out of the equation when it does not run in the boat. All it takes is one successful pull on the dyno. That is not wear and tear. One pull. And if there is a problem, find it there rather than three trips to the lake, or if you are a race boat, three expensive trips of embarassment, stress and anger.!
What he said! No method is the end all answer; you still have to pay attention to the motor once it's in the vehicle. THAT BEING SAID, one can bypass sooo much of the unknown and frustration on the front end of the process with the information from a dyno pull. Yes, one still has to know how to capitalize on the information provided, and that's where the crusty old timer or the young savant builders come in. They know what to do, IF they can isolate a problem. Dynos help them do that, and it's a lot cheaper than bringing the boat back every week so they can perform trial and error at your expense. Guessin games are too expensive for me when it comes to racing engines... My $0.02...

SANGER-RICH
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
:D When a customer gets to sit in on the dyno of their motor it is a huge education like Wayne stated.
Where in our area Tony do you get a motor dyno tested
:D

MikeF
03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
If you are racing in a class that has rules where you are limited to what you can do to an engine........it's imperative to dyno and imperative to do everything you can legally do to squeeze all out of the engine to make the most power where you need it.
If you are running in a class where tuneups are on an edge trying to make everything the engine can......imperative to dyno leading to absolute correct settings on all parameters of fuel flow and spark timing. Boost adds to the equation.
Pro Stock (and the late Pro Stock truck.....which actually had better efficency #'s) are the top of all motorsports as far as designing it right for the most power.
There are parameters for every (any) size engine that need to be met to make the most power at whichever rpm you want to make it at........w/o the correct sizes.......you'll be down on power and it will not work as it "possibly" could. (we are speaking N/A here ;) )
As always......God is in the details! :D

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Here is my take;
This is bar far the best post regarding dynoing motors. Art seems to be hung up on the Bragging number from a dyno. The dyno in the short run and long run will save huge $$$. You keep going to the cost of the dyno Art. It's $500 to make sure you are ready to get after it at the races. You load the gun at the shop. The big bragging numbers are great for drag motors dialed kill. With the different fuels available you need to be dead nuts on with your jetting and timing or you will grenade a motor.
Joey Grose does build and dyno our motors Bob. He does not have the capability to dyno the K motors but all of our drag stuff like the ski flat motor and Pro Gas Flat motors are run extensively on the dyno. We had 25 pulls on the ski Flat motor before it went out at the NJBA Finals last year. He had a new combination in the motor and got after it on the dyno. It all paid off as the boat set the SKi Flat record @ 7.52 That is with a 457ci pinch head chevy and 750 dominators.
Sanger Rich, you have Bailey Brothers right in your backyard. Joey is in Lodi.
Fiat, My problem is not with the Way Art does things, rather the way he slams dynoing as a waste of time and money.

FLYTE RISK
03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Ya know, I myself will chine in. We all know dynos depending on the builder SLASH owner of the dyno and engine being bult can produce most any number they promise. My limited experience is as my friend Anthony stated it is cheap insurance to know is it my tune up or is it the 2 inches I moved the prop forward or maybe the new carbs. I am running or, or, maybe the new propellor! My point obviously, we all know the guy walking around bragging about the dyno #'s and we have all beat the guy who had more than our GUESSTIMATED horse power, however that guy knows his numbers so what are mine? Fact is I have never dynoed a motor but I have put the money away to do it this time, see no need to waste the time otherwise!!!:) :)

WILDERTHANU
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Fiat, My problem is not with the Way Art does things, rather the way he slams dynoing as a waste of time and money.
Now really, who honestly believes that.

cyclone
03-13-2007, 06:58 PM
If a person is smart enough and open minded enough to learn and utilize to his advantage the information generated from a dyno session....it can be an extremely valuable tuning tool and the 500-800 dollars spent are worth every penny.
Example..my current motor made 80hp more on the 30th dyno pull than it did on the first dyno pull because we were tested, tested, tested. parts, valve lash, cam timing, ignition timing, fuel curves..everthing was tweaked in the name of finding more power and.....improving drivability at the rpm i cruise my boat at when its not at the track. Aside from maintaining the valve lash and keeping an eye on the jetting during extreme weather changes..i've havent had to do much to the motor after putting it into the boat.
If learning how to make more power with your own engine is not important or you like to drop the engine in the boat after its built and mess with it at the lake or race track the the dyno might not be for you. The dyno is not just to brag about how much power the motor makes unless you are writing a magazine story to sell the reader on a particular engine combo or you want your friends to know how much power your motor makes right before they drive by your ass.
Is the dyno perfect? nope. but in the right hands and with the right people dissecting the information it can make the difference between winning and losing or having a frustrating first day at the lake with your new boat motor. my two pennies in the bucket.

haulina29
03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I would like to read what BBT thinks about dyno time........... :D

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
My problem is not with the Way Art does things, rather the way he slams dynoing as a waste of time and money.
Ok Tony, enough is enough read my posts I did not slam dynoing or said it was a waste, it does have it's benefits if you're experimenting with stuff, but I can't justify paying $500 just to tell me I have the wrong pill in the injector, the plugs tell me that!.. Over and out!....

steelcomp
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
When I first started boat racing I was totally against dynoing. I thought it was pointless and a waste of money. Fast forward to today and I think you are crazy if you dont dyno a new motor or altered motor.
Word. :D
Some see the light, some don't. It's been said before, there are two kinds of dynos...the kind used for numbers, and the kind used as a tool. A dyno, as a tool, can't be compared to, and it's value can't be measured, IMO. When you're measuring trends, there's no better way than the dyno. Big numbers are what's so, but they're also so what. I've seen more than one engine that had lower peak output on the dyno (compared to other competitive engines), but you couldn't touch it on a track. I've seen customers totally screw up a good engine because it didn't make as much power as the "next guy's" engine. :cry: Then they go out and, after screwing it up, bitch because it didn't perform. Had they left it alone, they'd have been setting records. (This is on Cup level racing, believe it or not!!)
IMO, a dyno is just another one of a true engine builder's tools...and is as important and necessary as his torque wrench.
Little story. When I dynoed my 467, I got a little careless. I had set my float levels on the bench when I did the carbs. I've been setting up Holleys for 30 yrs, and can get the floats close enough on the bench to run the thing with out adjustment. Once running, I'll go and check the levels, but they're usually within a 1/4 turn or so. This time, I thought I'd set them on the dyno before we ran the engine...get 'em all perfect, 'n shit. :notam: Well, I had never used those stupid clear plugs on the side of the bowl, and consequently, got the float levels WAY too low...which I should have figured, since I had to screw the needle/seats way down. I didn't pay attentipon to this, and on the first pull, the carbs went dry, and thanks to the quick reactions of Steve Brule' and Dave Ebbert, they saw the A/F ratio shoot to like 20-something to 1, and immediately shut down. I knew exactly what had happened, and went out and re-set the levels the old fashioned way, and everything was fine. Less experienced operators may not have seen this in time, nad reacted as quickly, either. Point is, had I taken the boat to the lake and did this, the motor would have been scrap in seconds. That dyno session, regardless of what it cost, saved me about 20G right there. We went on to pick up about 50 hp trying things that you would never see the results of at the track, in as little time, with as little effort. It didn't matter what the motor made, just that it made as much as it could for what it was, and that I wasn't leaving anything on the table. As it was, it made awsome power, and I was real happy, but that was an after-effect, not really the goal.
Just my .02

Jetboatguru
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Ok Tony, enough is enough read my posts I did not slam dynoing or said it was a waste, it does have it's benefits if you're experimenting with stuff, but I can't justify paying $500 just to tell me I have the wrong pill in the injector, the plugs tell me that!.. Over and out!....
No need to get upset Art. Just having a discussion on Dynos. I admire your expertise and look forward to racing you on the track.

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 07:37 PM
No need to get upset Art. Just having a discussion on Dynos. I admire your expertise and look forward to racing you on the track.
It's all good brutha, feeling's mutual!..:D

Morg
03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
IMO, a dyno is just another one of a true engine builder's tools...and is as important and necessary as his torque wrench.
Now just when I was starting to like you Steel.
The funny thing about the whole dyno thing is we all pretty much agree. It can be used to test different combinations & components to get more out of a motor. Or it can be used for advertising & to brag on the boards. Hell I did learn something from a dyno recently, I heard running less oil will give you more HP, 5 hp per quart if I remember correctly.
But being I am not a "True" engine builder. I really should not be posting anything on this thread anyway.

78Eliminator
03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Morg, just face it...........you are just some "primered injected wannabee"
:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Morg
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Have you noticed whenever I post, the whole thread takes a turn to bench racers.
Maybe I should take this whole thing a little more serious, or maybe not.

78Eliminator
03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Have you noticed whenever I post, the whole thread takes a turn to bench racers.
Maybe I should take this whole thing a little more serious, or maybe not.
Take it where you want to take it without regard to outside opinion.

GofastRacer
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Now that is funny,lol...:D

Morg
03-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I just want to know who the hell is running around in a primed injected circle boat, saying he is me & how much he wants to go circle racing.:idea: :) :idea:

steelcomp
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Now just when I was starting to like you Steel.
Whew...glad I nipped that in the bud!!! :D :D
I think you know what I meant, bud. :)

steelcomp
03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Maybe I should take this whole thing a little more serious, or maybe not.One could never tell.:) :D

downunder race fan
03-14-2007, 01:17 AM
http://www.libertyspeed.com/psi_dyno.htm
a quick video of a dyno run of the big engine from the Australian boat LIBERTY. this engine hasn't been used that much as no body can catch the boat with the small engine in it !! small engine is 366ci and 1600hp

DAVEY B
03-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I heard running less oil will give you more HP, 5 hp per quart if I remember correctly.
But being I am not a "True" engine builder. I really should not be posting anything on this thread anyway.
So if we run 6 less quarts of oil in the super stock we could gain 30HP!!!:D
I'm calling Dave.

Morg
03-14-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm calling Dave.
*Thats what I heard. Dyno's don't lie.
*All warranty's null & void.
With that said, believe me if I had a dyno in the garage I would never leave the house & my neighbors would like me less than they do now.

WannabeRacing
03-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Dyno at their house? Now WHO would do that???

Boatshu
03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Ok...I don't post a lot, really to busy most of the time but I will throw my two cents in. The advantage in the dyno is split into a couple of things, first if I was buying a SS motor I would want to get one from somebody that did a lot of dyno time on other people's motor's. That way I get to use all those pulls that went late into the night finding the extra 20-30 HP that could make a different in a stock class.
We always dyno'd new K motor's but it wasn't to find any extra HP it was to make sure when we went to the race everything was perfect, changes were either the jet or sometimes a pulley but we alway knew we were ready when we hit the water. We did dyno during the winter to test some new parts but with K motor's they all make a lot of power ( some too much ). I've won races with 1100 HP motor's beating 1600 HP motor's and I've seen 1600 HP motor's kick everybody's butt. Driver, boat set-up and prop go a long way in winning races but if you have the money...I'd Dyno it everytime. Oh and Gordy's motor's are fast for a reason....experience and the Dyno.

gn7
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
you can always spot one of tony's threads, starting hate and discontent though out the land.

Wildchild80
03-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm calling Dave.
That oil we use is expensive too!!!
more money to spend on beer

77charger
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
I use to not favor the idea but after having motors dynoed for drag boat i found it very useful.If it werent for a dyno we would have had to miss the IHBA race in san diego we got motor very late thur night early fri morn from joey grose and dropped it in and left for the races at 4:30 am friday.There is no way we would have had time to go and test elsewhere instead motor was ready to run(we did have a plug wire go bad on sat but fixed for sunday)
As for a lake boat dont think it is needed and will stick to my opinion.

MAXIMUS
03-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Dynos are for fags & midgets!:jawdrop:

gn7
03-15-2007, 05:43 AM
so then I would have to assume that you actually OWN one then,prolly a SUPERFLOW

steelcomp
03-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Dynos are for fags & midgets!:jawdrop:
Hater!
Fag!
Midg...OK...check that one. :eek:
:D :D

the real k-boat king
03-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Dynos are for fags & midgets!:jawdrop:go blow yourself maxi, and dyno's are a waste of time, to hard on engines don't bother with it we learn nothing we were faster in the olds days without dyno's.:D

the real k-boat king
03-15-2007, 08:38 AM
hey maxi did grich dyno your first engine on friday night at bako and the second one on saturday, they both ran real good, good thing we dont run gn or we would have won that to.

lucky
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
hey maxi did grich dyno your first engine on friday night at bako and the second one on saturday, they both ran real good, good thing we dont run gn or we would have won that to.
he just guaged the horse power by clamping his super fly ass cheeks together around the fly wheel - the pointer rose when the motor was w.o.t or should i say W (o) t ??? you be the judge .. I heard rumors that he liked the way the motor felt at half throttle :D :devil:

MAXIMUS
03-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes you might have with that awesom display of GN's finest! But that is just because you are such a stud muffin!:D I am very dissapointed in the performance of both those engines to say the least. The blown deal did not last as long as I had hoped & the injected one obviously wasn't put together properly...:( Could I call you to possibly build my next motor. I have heard yours will last much longer than my shit did!:) By the way I would like a lot more power than I had last time. Maybe you could dyno the shit out of a new one to figure out how to achieve this & then give me what is left over...:)

78Eliminator
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
he just guaged the horse power by clamping his super fly ass cheeks together around the fly wheel - the pointer rose when the motor was w.o.t or should i say W (o) t ??? you be the judge .. I heard rumors that he liked the way the motor felt at half throttle :D :devil:
That is some funny shit right there.

78Eliminator
03-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe you could dyno the shit out of a new one to figure out how to achieve this & then give me what is left over...
That is really funny. "Yeah, we got your mill working nats ass. About 80 hours of dyno time and she held up like a champ. The bill is in the mail (because I am too ashamed to hand it to you in person). You might want to take a look at the bottom end before you take it out to the lake tho......" :D :D

MAXIMUS
03-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Gorgy you have had plenty of time to come up with an answer! Ok go! ??????????????? Gorgy???? Gorgy????? GOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRGGGGGGGYYYYYYY......:cry: :cry: :cry: I love you man!:)

gn7
03-15-2007, 04:13 PM
The king has left the building

MAXIMUS
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
yea...:( I really do love that little shit head...:messedup: lots of bang for the buck! :220v: :D

MAXIMUS
03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
The king has left the building
Speaking of kings there captian kangaroo... did you get the big red bus ready for parker??? Or are you bitches scared! Tell Billy grich needs his guard rail back!:crossx:

fc-pilot
03-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Gosh dang! I spend two weeks at an over-priced resort and look what happens.
Paul

VDRIVERACING
03-17-2007, 12:36 PM
I finally shelled out the $$$ to dyno late last summer, and no klaplooie! I don't know of anything thats going to tell you the motor is about to let go, but dynos at least let you know your rig is oil tight, healthy(at least at the moment) and doing what you expected it to so you're not hammering it into a moment of weakness:( . I hope my luck is on the upswing, and am inspired by the incredible runs 305 and 24 have had in the past couple years.
I will see you at Parker, and if I'm trailing the field note that it will be strategically planned (for safety purposes:rolleyes: )

MAXIMUS
03-19-2007, 05:11 AM
I finally shelled out the $$$ to dyno late last summer, and no klaplooie! I don't know of anything thats going to tell you the motor is about to let go, but dynos at least let you know your rig is oil tight, healthy(at least at the moment) and doing what you expected it to so you're not hammering it into a moment of weakness:( . I hope my luck is on the upswing, and am inspired by the incredible runs 305 and 24 have had in the past couple years.
I will see you at Parker, and if I'm trailing the field note that it will be strategically planned (for safety purposes:rolleyes: )
You might just learn a little bit following those circle jerks around...;)