PDA

View Full Version : The Hot Boat Editor

SHOTKALLIN
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
slips again.
I got my mag in the mail today. Usually I just flip through the whole mag to see the pics, then I read it in my spare time. Sound familiar? OK so I flip from the back this time for what ever reason and I see the Tom Papp tribute. Very nice pics. I didn't even read anything but the photo captions. Tom was not born in 1963. Come on Hot Boat....WTF? You cant even get the guys year of birth right on his tribute? Jeez! In Big Ass Numbers it says 1963-2007. Stevie Wonder could have seen this typo with his eyes closed.

Kilrtoy
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I know what happened, as it was explained to me today when I was there and trust me they are very sorry about this, The article does have the corect date of 1953, just the cover said 1963.

SHOTKALLIN
03-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I saw that too. I actually looked for the 1953 because I knew that Tom could not have been born in 63. I gave a hot boat dude at the boat show a really hard time about the editing of his Mag. I even asked him how must the editing job paid. He said HUH? I said obviously there is an opening, how much does it pay? LOL.

Kilrtoy
03-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw that too. I actually looked for the 1953 because I knew that Tom could not have been born in 63. I gave a hot boat dude at the boat show a really hard time about the editing of his Mag. I even asked him how must the editing job paid. He said HUH? I said obviously there is an opening, how much does it pay? LOL.
I agree , but after seeing what occurs every month in house, I can understand how things happen, Its not like HB is PEOPLE magazine or anything

SHOTKALLIN
03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm not expecting People mag.....but I caught this and I didn't read it. So are we to assume that hot boat goes to print without being read? Obviously it must.

HighRoller
03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
You expect a magazine with 2nd grade grammar skills to get actual research right? I'm surprised the article didn't read like this:
"Tomm Pape started his jet boat business in 1963. It's claim to fame was the Stelth hull in several versions. Both the 20 and 17 feet versions came with Chevrolet power and Berkly Jets. They drove real nice according to our testers, whose salaries were paid by the ads he bought in our magazine."
Hot Boat (The magazine) is a joke....A bunch of illiterate shills for the boating industry. And yes, I told the editor as much.

bordsmnj
03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
so.........***boat has a magazine?

wsuwrhr
03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
HR,
Don't throw a single grain of sugar on it will ya.
You expect a magazine with 2nd grade grammar skills to get actual research right? I'm surprised the article didn't read like this:
"Tomm Pape started his jet boat business in 1963. It's claim to fame was the Stelth hull in several versions. Both the 20 and 17 feet versions came with Chevrolet power and Berkly Jets. They drove real nice according to our testers, whose salaries were paid by the ads he bought in our magazine."
Hot Boat (The magazine) is a joke....A bunch of illiterate shills for the boating industry. And yes, I told the editor as much.

C-2
03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
You guys sound angry. Geesh.

SOCALDETAIL1
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I worked in the magazine business for 10 years, There are slip up's all the time. No worries, Im sure in the following issue there will be a note of correction. It happens all the time in every publication.

HighRoller
03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I worked in the magazine business for 10 years, There are slip up's all the time. No worries, Im sure in the following issue there will be a note of correction. It happens all the time in every publication.
Slip "up's"??????????????? Damn, another improper apostrophe........

HighRoller
03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
No. I'd call it an experiment for the grade school children of boat manufacturers to test their grammar skills. At least that's what it reads like.

wsuwrhr
03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Remind me when we meet up to bring you a few sugar cubes, bud
No. I'd call it an experiment for the grade school children of boat manufacturers to test their grammar skills. At least that's what it reads like.

SOCALDETAIL1
03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Slip "up's"??????????????? Damn, another improper apostrophe........
See there you go:)

Psycho Squid
03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I have had four photo shoot opp's with hot boat. The lie's and miss-prints It's cooler not to have your boat in hot boat anymore they will shoot anything. I didn't put 80K in Psycho Squid to have a bunch of Low Rider looking models photo with her. The same chick comes for the shoot,for five boats maybe she might change her suit to the color of your boat. I guess if your green to boating Hot Boat advice is cool. I Guess they could help launch my business since Performance Automotive and Marine is what I do...........I think per Tom Papp........I'll stick to word of mouth and Integrity. Thanks hot boat, Thanks for nothing. Tommy told me three things.........Don't get in the boating industry. Stay off of Hot Boat Forums..........Stay out of the mag. Good advice my $ .02
Squid

Kilrtoy
03-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I have had four photo shoot opp's with hot boat. The lie's and miss-prints It's cooler not to have your boat in hot boat anymore they will shoot anything. I didn't put 80K in Psycho Squid to have a bunch of Low Rider looking models photo with her. The same chick comes for the shoot,for five boats maybe she might change her suit to the color of your boat. I guess if your green to boating Hot Boat advice is cool. I Guess they could help launch my business since Performance Automotive and Marine is what I do...........I think per Tom Papp........I'll stick to word of mouth and Integrity. Thanks hot boat, Thanks for nothing. Tommy told me three things.........Don't get in the boating industry. Stay off of Hot Boat Forums..........Stay out of the mag. Good advice my $ .02
Squid
Well that was mighty impressive of you

Magic34
03-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Damn, tough crowd.

HighRoller
03-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Remind me when we meet up to bring you a few sugar cubes, bud
Uhhh....Please explain.........................

Magic34
03-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Uhhh....Please explain.........................
He is saying you dont sugar coat it.

SHOTKALLIN
03-14-2007, 12:22 AM
To err is human. But to fock up no brainer stuff like mistake a 36' boat for a 25' when you have a damn pic sittin in front of you? Better yet do a whole spread on the shockwave 29 magnatude and post pics of the 25 tremor? They have a damn pic sitin in front of them. Hell the Magnatude was even supposed to have twins. These are not simple mistakes. I'm sure a Jr. high school news paper editor could catch all these errors.

HighRoller
03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
They tried to hire the JR high editor. Salary requirement was too high.

HighRoller
03-14-2007, 12:27 AM
He is saying you dont sugar coat it.
Thanx. Never have.

yopengo
03-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Haters! :D

h2oski2fast
03-14-2007, 08:26 AM
And who the F*ck do you think you are?

EAZYKILLER2006
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
lmso still funny every time i hear that...

BoatFloating
03-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks hot boat, Thanks for nothing. Tommy told me three things.........Don't get in the boating industry. Stay off of Hot Boat Forums..........Stay out of the mag. Good advice my $ .02
Squid
So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.............

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I understand being upset with the mistakes, especially the tribute to Tom Papp but to those who are complaining about the magazine as a whole, nobody is making you read it. ;)
Lighten up folks! :D

Baja Big Dog
03-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Should'nt it read "BERKLEY" jets???
And maybe "STEALTH" hull???
Signed,
Your second grade teacher.

40FlatDeck
03-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Well that was mighty impressive of you
That sh*t is funny.:D

SHOTKALLIN
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I understand being upset with the mistakes, especially the tribute to Tom Papp but to those who are complaining about the magazine as a whole, nobody is making you read it. ;)
Lighten up folks! :D
I am not complaining about the mag as a whole....its a great mag. I just think that they can afford to pay an editor who passed jr. high school. alot of the errors I see are VERY EASY TO CATCH SOMETIMES THEY EVEN STAND OUT .

dragboat
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Why don't all of you lazy a** Haters get together and give the magazine business a try? I'm sure with your combined knowledge and experience along with your patience and charisma it would be a wild overnight success! I'm certain the giant ego and perfectionism of just one hater could do this job. From the publication and national distribution to scheduling the boats, talent, crew, weather, locations and copy for countless articles, EVERY MONTH, it would take only one. Well, it may take one more Hater to manage the staff and any professional or personal problems they may have, you know, like telling them how to live their lives as you know they should. Also scheduling deadlines, legal issues, taxes, accounting, business insureance, workmans comp insureance, building and grounds, the lease agreement, PR with the boat builders and the industry's parts suppliers. Well, maybe one more egotistical Hater to manage the add sales accounts, I'm sure the new boat adds would sell themselves with your staff running down their new $100,000.00 babies every month without exception. Thats three Haters, all you need now is someone with no tact. You need some that will loudly point out what thousands of other people noticed first and knew the difference but didn't care that a human made a mistake on planet Earth. The Hater you need to fill this position is one that is so insecure about his own ability in life that he really does feel it's his role in this life to try to convince everyone that he is smarter than anyone, especially you. This final opening is the ultimate position of the greatest importance---The on line bigmouth proofreader. :rolleyes:
And no.....I did not proofread :D :D :D

MR HARLEY
03-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey he didn't put 80 grand into his Macho Squid to have you tell him 2 out of 3 ain't bad :D
:D :)

Psycho Squid
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Why don't all of you lazy a** Haters get together and give the magazine business a try? I'm sure with your combined knowledge and experience along with your patience and charisma it would be a wild overnight success! I'm certain the giant ego and perfectionism of just one hater could do this job. From the publication and national distribution to scheduling the boats, talent, crew, weather, locations and copy for countless articles, EVERY MONTH, it would take only one. Well, it may take one more Hater to manage the staff and any professional or personal problems they may have, you know, like telling them how to live their lives as you know they should. Also scheduling deadlines, legal issues, taxes, accounting, business insureance, workmans comp insureance, building and grounds, the lease agreement, PR with the boat builders and the industry's parts suppliers. Well, maybe one more egotistical Hater to manage the add sales accounts, I'm sure the new boat adds would sell themselves with your staff running down their new $100,000.00 babies every month without exception. Thats three Haters, all you need now is someone with no tact. You need some that will loudly point out what thousands of other people noticed first and knew the difference but didn't care that a human made a mistake on planet Earth. The Hater you need to fill this position is one that is so insecure about his own ability in life that he really does feel it's his role in this life to try to convince everyone that he is smarter than anyone, especially you. This final opening is the ultimate position of the greatest importance---The on line bigmouth proofreader. :rolleyes:
.I would suck at the magazine business. ( To out spoken. ) That's why I do other things. If ya can't handle the heat, and do the job right.
Get the @!&# out of the kitchen. No one told them to start a magazine. With all the people........staff........big budgets.........hire more people then their is some Quality Control. :D :)

dragboat
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I would suck at the magazine business. ( To out spoken. ) That's why I do other things. If ya can't handle the heat, and do the job right.
Get the @!&# out of the kitchen. No one told them to start a magazine. With all the people........staff........big budgets.........hire more people then their is some Quality Control. :D :)
Hiring more people does not keep humans from making mistakes. I have 12 GOOD employees. I get that, I tell them I will never give up my right to be human, to make mistakes. Neither should they. No one should.

SHOTKALLIN
03-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I would suck at the magazine business. ( To out spoken. ) That's why I do other things. If ya can't handle the heat, and do the job right.
Hell, just hire one 10th grader. pay him to read the mag before it goes to print. Problem solved.:D

SHOTKALLIN
03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Hiring more people does not keep humans from making mistakes. I have 12 GOOD employees. I get that, I tell them I will never give up my right to be human, to make mistakes. Neither should they. No one should.
Mistakes? Just read the damn mag and look at the pictures before you push the print key. Problem solved. It is this simple. They have people at the mag that changed the format of the test articles because they felt they needed to improve something. I think the mag was just fine. If they want to improve it just read it before printing it.

Baja Big Dog
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the out drive today!!! I'm thinking hug is in order. I read through the thread and it sounds like only a few folks had any thing to say that would be negative, the mistake that the original poster pointed out is what I would consider rather LARGE, and If you took a poll Ill bet you find that most readers that are fans of the magazine would agree that this type of mistake is at the least "UNACCEPTABLE". Don't really think you can defend something like that with being overloaded with accounting, taxes, rent etc......
Don't hate all of us.
Hope your day goes better!!!!
P.S. Insureance???====Insurance...OPPS!

Miss Perfect
03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey he didn't put 80 grand into his Macho Squid to have you tell him 2 out of 3 ain't bad :D
Cracking me up Bilgie :D

dragboat
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the out drive today!!!
I'm thinking hug is in order. I read through the thread and it sounds like only a few folks had any thing to say that would be negative, the mistake that the original poster pointed out is what I would consider rather LARGE, and If you took a poll Ill bet you find that most readers that are fans of the magazine would agree that this type of mistake is at the least "UNACCEPTABLE". Don't really think you can defend something like that with being overloaded with accounting, taxes, rent etc......
Don't hate all of us.
Hope your day goes better!!!!
P.S. Insureance???====Insurance...OPPS!
No spell check needed, I knew what you meant.;)
And my day is going very well, thanks:D
This mistake: one small wrong number in a VERY BIG place of importance,
OOOOpppssss! My point is unless you've NEVER screwed up...Anything.....Ever....dont be a Hater. It's hypocritical and sh**
"Don't hate all of us." ?????????? I don't.....We're good. :D :rolleyes:
And if you want a hug go see rrrrr in Bench Racers. :D :D :D

hoolign
03-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Technically he should get a 33.33333 % refund on the work. :confused:

Psycho Squid
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Technically he should get a 33.33333 % refund on the work. :confused:Funny.......That's my race # 333 Because i'm only half evil ;)

bwillieb
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
.......I hope this thread doesnt cause ***boat so much shame that they close their doors:rolleyes: ...........I'd have to subscribe to Powerboat and trade my baseball hat for a Captains hat:sleeping: ...........