PDA

View Full Version : Tax Liens

H20 Toie
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
What the hell is the deal. instead of sending a bill for luxury tax on a boat do they just put liens against your house?
I never had a bill for luxury tax on my commander boat, but when i went to buy a new house there is a bunch of tax liens against the old house. WTF is it just easier to file liens then send out a bill?
That is the only thing that i can think of that i would have been filed by the county tax collector.

C-2
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Personal property tax and they are a general lien which attaches to any property, but mainly real property. If it was the State Franchise tax board - they tend to levy first, which of course is even worse.
And yes, they tend to lien first and ask questions later.
On a positive note (or negative, depends what side of the fence you are on), the State Controller is holding all current tax liens until social numbers are completely redacted from them. Great if you're the debtor or a deadbeat. Bad if you're a creditor.

C-2
03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I can probably get copies for you more efficiently and certainly quicker and cheaper than going to the county recorder in Norwalk.
Tax liens are reported seven years from the DATE THEY ARE SATISFIED. So the quicker the better.
PM if you can use the help. :)

Wheeler
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
What the hell is the deal. instead of sending a bill for luxury tax on a boat do they just put liens against your house?
I never had a bill for luxury tax on my commander boat, but when i went to buy a new house there is a bunch of tax liens against the old house. WTF is it just easier to file liens then send out a bill?
That is the only thing that i can think of that i would have been filed by the county tax collector.
Don't feel bad, I just got a tax bill, from San Bernardino county, for my plane and neither I or my plane, reside in California

HavasuSelect
03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Personal property tax and they are a general lien which attaches to any property, but mainly real property. If it was the State Franchise tax board - they tend to levy first, which of course is even worse.
And yes, they tend to lien first and ask questions later.
On a positive note (or negative, depends what side of the fence you are on), the State Controller is holding all current tax liens until social numbers are completely redacted from them. Great if you're the debtor or a deadbeat. Bad if you're a creditor.
When the IRS intercepts peoples taxes it takes them 6-8+ weeks to post it to the local child support agency. I've heard the real reson for this is that the IRS collects money on the interest while it sits in an account.

charlyox
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I got a tax bill on my boat that I sold after a divorce and told them I no longer owened the boat. It was only $298 but at the time that was a bit of money. I didn't know that the L.A. county runs a fiscal year on tax items. They slapped a lein on my pad and it was hell trying to get it removed.I know you did NOT get a statement but this is just my 2cents worth. Good luck.

C-2
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
When the IRS intercepts peoples taxes it takes them 6-8+ weeks to post it to the local child support agency. I've heard the real reson for this is that the IRS collects money on the interest while it sits in an account.
Bastards.
You have to remember, there's a whole lot of us, and few of them. I know when state refunds are garnished by the IRS, it also takes them 2-3 months before they can account for them. I think it's more of a red tape issue, than collecting interest.
And as I said before, the IRS is easy to deal with; it's the state who are mutha fawkers.
-------
A lien is a lien, it attaches to anything, not just ne hresidence. For example, if you own 24 properties, the lien attaches to all of them (in theory). I'm surprised his house sold without title insurance catching it. Perhaps he has a common name - that's usually the case - that or being once or twice removed from an address often times does the trick too, or it could have been in between ien status and the sale of real property.
H20TOIE - do a search for this topic, it has been discussed numerous times and several of us have put up some pretty useful information.
Dealing with taxes, after the fact, always sux arse.

Phat Matt
03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Hell, I paid mine twice in one year and they still put a lien on my house. They did it two years later too. I had my bank call them (cuz I paid online) and numerous phone calls to them did not help. I finally got a refund for the double pay but still had the liens. Then this passed year they pulled the money out of my bank and then gave me a lien. I had a hearing set up and finally explained my side of things and backed it up with paper work and they removed them as erroneous on their part. Only took two years and jacked with my credit during that time.
Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts! What movie? :)

HavasuSelect
03-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts! What movie? :)
Hot route HOT ROUTE! Red 7.:D