PDA

View Full Version : Class "A" non-commerical

Jerry
03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Hey just found out the other day I needed a Class"A" license to tow my 32 ft ball mount ?

rivrrts429
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
any tow-behind 10K + & any 5th wheel 15k +, GVWR

Beer-30
03-15-2007, 11:55 AM
IF there is a tag or plate on the (any) trailer that says it has a gvw of 10K or more - yes. Empty or loaded, a Class-A is required.
My case, for instance: I have a 3-axle 34' long boat trailer. Sure, it can handle 10K. There is no load rating sticker, just a VIN; so Class-C is all that is required.

THOR
03-15-2007, 02:24 PM
So let me get this straight. If you are pulling an 11,000lb travel trailer then you need a Class A? I have never heard this.

OutCole'd
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
So let me get this straight. If you are pulling an 11,000lb travel trailer then you need a Class A? I have never heard this.
You said that perfect, next time just say it to the coppers and you'll be fine.:D

THOR
03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
The CHP would have a field day pulling people over on there way to Glamis. I would say that 2% of the people have a Class A license.
If it isnt a commercial rig then you really dont need one.
F U OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

ELIMINAT THIS
03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
IF there is a tag or plate on the (any) trailer that says it has a gvw of 10K or more - yes. Empty or loaded, a Class-A is required.
My case, for instance: I have a 3-axle 34' long boat trailer. Sure, it can handle 10K. There is no load rating sticker, just a VIN; so Class-C is all that is required.
Here is the deal with that,if there is no gvwr tag on the trailer the chp will take the weight rating of the tires. example if you have 6 tires rated at 2000 lbs each they will rate it at 12000 lbs. :jawdrop:

Beer-30
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Here is the deal with that,if there is no gvwr tag on the trailer the chp will take the weight rating of the tires. example if you have 6 tires rated at 2000 lbs each they will rate it at 12000 lbs. :jawdrop:
Maybe if it was being used for commercial use. Transporting cargo and such. A boat trailer? Nope. A trailer house? Maybe the REAL big ones, but not many CHP are gonna worry about recreational vehicles.
Insurance may look into it if you had an accident that was weight related or pure driving negligence was mentioned.

ELIMINAT THIS
03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Maybe if it was being used for commercial use. Transporting cargo and such. A boat trailer? Nope. A trailer house? Maybe the REAL big ones, but not many CHP are gonna worry about recreational vehicles.
Insurance may look into it if you had an accident that was weight related or pure driving negligence was mentioned.
Im sure you will never have a problem with it just towing your boat...:D But im sure there is one chp in cali. that would give you a hard time.

Jerry
03-15-2007, 03:09 PM
The CHP would have a field day pulling people over on there way to Glamis. I would say that 2% of the people have a Class A license.
Here's the deal, A friend of mine got his ticket coming home from Glamis. The fine is $840. Lets just say they're gonna be ticketing pretty f$%k hard now:mad:

ELIMINAT THIS
03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
There was a thread at clamis.com or something like that a year or two ago.About a guy towing a trailer "Driving out of class" (thats what the chp calls it) lost control going down a hill and killed someone. If I remember right the guys insurance told him too pound sand.He lost everything inc. his wife over the deal.

Beer-30
03-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Here's the deal, A friend of mine got his ticket coming home from Glamis. The fine is $840. Lets just say they're gonna be ticketing pretty f$%k hard now:mad:
The ones I know WILL get stopped are the over-length units. I know a few Commercial Units that will watch for them to be over 65'.
40' diesel pusher + 28' double-stack enclosed trailer.

rivrrts429
03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
The bad part is that there is no difference when you go to the DMV to get your class A non-commercial & your class A Commercial except for the type of vehicle your testing with. You still need a medical card, still must do a pre-trip insp., retake your regular class C test, + your class A non commercial, and then drive! Might as well get your class A commercial if you can get your hands on a semi. Better yet, go by a freightliner.

Beer-30
03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I used to have a Class-A, but let it go when I quit driving commercially. I never renewed it, because I didn't want to deal with medical. Now, since I am a pilot and have to get an FAA medical every 3 years, I should just get may Class-A back in effect.

Dragboat Dad
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Class A non commercial test is no big deal, that just allows you to tow up to 15000. Commercial class A is more involved, you need a D.O.T physical and you do have to take alot of written and driving test. I did it because I wanted to pull doubles legally. I had to take the class C, class A, combination, triples and my M1. Then I took about a 45 minute driving test pulling a trailer over10,000lbs, you must test with a trailer 10,001 lbs or more. I had to have my non commercial A to be able to pull that big of a trailer for the commercial A test

Fiat48
03-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Which brings me to a question in Cali for pulling doubles.
Can you pull 2 tag trailers? One trailer being a 26 foot enclosed tag and the other being just a single jet ski trailer.
I have been doing this in Nevada....either getting away with it or I am legal. LOL. :D

Beer-30
03-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Can you pull 2 tag trailers? One trailer being a 26 foot enclosed tag and the other being just a single jet ski trailer.
I have been doing this in Nevada....either getting away with it or I am legal. LOL. :D
Sure you can. With a doubles endorsement on your Class-A license!

Fiat48
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I have the class A (Nevada) so no problem there. I was just unsure of 2 "tag" trailers. Seems I had heard the first towed vehicle had to be a 5th wheel.

ELIMINAT THIS
03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
The first trailer in the combo has to be a fifth wheel under 28'6" the second trailer can be a tag also under 28'6".:idea:

Fiat48
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Now that is what I heard. I just checked Nevada and assume 2 tags is legal as they show a pickup towing 2 tags on a brochure they pass out at the DMV.
Never could find the Cali law tho.

Dragboat Dad
03-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Eliminat This is right. After pulling doubles for awhile, I would never want to pull two tag trailers-- too much wiplash effect.

MKEELINE
03-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Class A non commercial test is no big deal, that just allows you to tow up to 15000. Commercial class A is more involved, you need a D.O.T physical and you do have to take alot of written and driving test. I did it because I wanted to pull doubles legally. I had to take the class C, class A, combination, triples and my M1. Then I took about a 45 minute driving test pulling a trailer over10,000lbs, you must test with a trailer 10,001 lbs or more. I had to have my non commercial A to be able to pull that big of a trailer for the commercial A test
So is that the combination of licenses that you need to be legal towing doubles( recreational). I've been looking at doing this for awhile but want to make absolutely sure that I'm 100% legal.

MKEELINE
03-16-2007, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Flying_Lavey;2446940]
And the thing about the insurance after a crash. That is absolutely 100% true. the instant you hook up to a trailer with a GVWR rating higher than the tow vehicle you are essentially driving without insurance. just about ANY accident at that point you would be at fault for.
QUOTE]
Wrong....you might want to check your facts
So what ARE the facts?

Mike67rs
03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
This is directly quoted from DMV's website. It applies only to travel trailers and livestock trailers.
How to apply for a noncommercial driver license
A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:
Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:
a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:
A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes.
Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver permit
To apply for a Noncommercial Class A permit, you must:
Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies are not acceptable.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)
Pay the application fee
Pass a vision exam
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
Pass the traffic laws and sign tests for the class of vehicle you currently have and also the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.
Once you have completed these requirements, you will be issued a permit. You can only drive with a person who has a California driver license in the same class as your permit and meets the age requirements.
Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver license
To obtain a Noncommercial Class A license you must:
Have completed all the requirements for a Noncommercial Class A permit
Call a DMV CDL office and make an appointment for a driving test (Cannot be made for the same day) (Noncommercial Class A driving test appointments cannot be made online)
Bring the Noncommercial Class A vehicle with you
Pass a pre-trip inspection
Pass a skills test
Pass a driving test
After you pass your driving test, you will be issued an interim license valid until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Verify your address before you leave DMV. Notify the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your photo license within 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. You will need to provide information from your interim license.

ELIMINAT THIS
03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
That was a good bedtime story......not much fact in it
Here is a fact for you.
1)Tow a trailer you don't have a license to tow.
2)Get in an accident.
1+2= You are about to get F U C K E D.:idea: :idea:

rivrrts429
03-16-2007, 04:14 PM
This is directly quoted from DMV's website. It applies only to travel trailers and livestock trailers.
How to apply for a noncommercial driver license
A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:
Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:
a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:
A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes.
Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver permit
To apply for a Noncommercial Class A permit, you must:
Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies are not acceptable.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)
Pay the application fee
Pass a vision exam
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
Pass the traffic laws and sign tests for the class of vehicle you currently have and also the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.
Once you have completed these requirements, you will be issued a permit. You can only drive with a person who has a California driver license in the same class as your permit and meets the age requirements.
Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver license
To obtain a Noncommercial Class A license you must:
Have completed all the requirements for a Noncommercial Class A permit
Call a DMV CDL office and make an appointment for a driving test (Cannot be made for the same day) (Noncommercial Class A driving test appointments cannot be made online)
Bring the Noncommercial Class A vehicle with you
Pass a pre-trip inspection
Pass a skills test
Pass a driving test
After you pass your driving test, you will be issued an interim license valid until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Verify your address before you leave DMV. Notify the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your photo license within 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. You will need to provide information from your interim license.
WELL PUT!!!

Xlration Marine
03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
A former co worker was pulling his 5th and his bass boat, duramax. Any way the cop said because of the "length" he would need a class "A". He went and jumped through the hoops and now he has a tractor and flat bed making 5K a week. I have an A, but I tell you this government is a joke. Do you really need a class A to drive a truck, think about. Do you really need to know how to land a jet or even take off. Shit no all you have to know is how to point it. I would have to say that these idiots that we trust our lives with are making it more difficult for us to have our freedoms. And they screw up throw more tax dollars at it, oh and raise tax's to throw more money at it. So the next time you are cruising to the lake, look at that tractor trailer. Does he really have a licence? Not like it's posted on the window.

THOR
03-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Okay, all I want to know is this. Can anyone here tell us what the law is regarding towing a non commercial vehicle meaning an RV/toybox? Theoretically, if you tow a 30'+ toybox that weighs 10K lbs or more then you need a Class A from what I hear in this thread. To the contrary, I am not getting one at work (just to spite my boss) because I dont feel like the extra insurance and not being able to go to traffic school.
I see many diesel pushers towing a 30' boat and none of those guys have Class A licenses. Also, I would have to guess that 90% of the families going back and forth to Dumont and Glamis dont have them either.

Dragboat Dad
03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
When I started researching what kind of license I needed to pull doubles, I couldn't get the same answer from anyone at the DMV or the CHP. I finally got a phone number for the commercial drivers license division of the DMV. That is were I found out I would need a class A with a doubles endorsement. If you call the 800 number for DMV appointments, they can give it to you. I got my class A about 4 years ago so maybe it's different now