PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne Hydro in Hot Boat

72 superlite
08-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Does anyone out there know the people with the red flamed hydro in the latest issue? Says they hang out at CFW. They say that they have never heard or seen of anyother Cheyenne V-drive hydros. Not sure how many were made total, but I have pictures of one in front of Cheyennes shop, and I know were one is sitting up here, never been rigged and is in primer ready for paint. I talked to Harlin Orin about the one up here and he said he helped Cheyenne do the bottom, they were looking at making it competitive in TFH but it was Too heavy.

V-Drive Tom
08-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Cheyenne had two hydro molds that I can remember.
The one that I think you are refering to is the mold that they bought from Gene Deaver. It's a 19ft hull. Deavers hulls came about by him cutting up a DiMarco, adding a little take out a little here and there, to make the new plug. The 19ft boat was the first one and was very successful as a fuel boat.(Jimmy Wright and the Nitro Fever 212+215 back in 1981-82)
"Billy The Kid boat in 1981 was the first BGH to go over 170 MPH, with a 170.77. That was also one of the same 19ft Deaver-Cheyenne hulls.
They also had a hull that looked like a
large sponsoned HONDO or Brendella. Frank Dade drove that boat over at Chowchilla in the early 80's.
The 19ft boat worked good.GO use it.
After those, Deaver made a 18.6ft mold and then a narrower smaller one. ALL worked GOOD... :) TOM..
PS,Deavers first record setting fuel boat was a DiMarco Hull. Blood SWEAT and NITRO 206 MPH.

V-Drive Tom
08-23-2003, 03:10 PM
I have not seen the new issue so I can't answer your real question.... :D TOM..

Big Proppa
08-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Go over to the dragboats.com site and under race boats for sale in the classifieds is that very same boat from the issue ( Pretty Sure)
link over to his e-mail or maybe even his phone number
never mind here ya go
http://www.***boat.com/hbcove/43/2/images/DSCF0272.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/hbcove/43/2/images/DSCF0266.JPG
Sellers Name: Theron Davis
Can be contacted at:
7076881536 Ad Placed on - 8/21/03 // Last Updated on - 8/22/03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1986 CHEYENNE HYDRO. 496ci Chevy. Littlefield –871 blower. Enderle birdcatcher w/80A gas pump. Casale 10 degree box w/35 gears and whirlaway. Stellings prop. 1/8in prop shaft w/safety collars. Billet outboard steering. Custom built road trailer. Beautiful boat, no stress cracks, and never raced. $18,000 For more pictures see Hot Boat Magazine http://www.***boat.com/hbcove/43/2/index.htm
See more ads from this seller?
[ August 23, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Big Proppa ]

72 superlite
08-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info Tom, the one up here I was refering to is a friends and he is looking to sell it. He got it in lieu of some $$$ owed to him. It is the Deaver copy. I just wanted to let the folks with this one know there are others around. Tom what do you suggest for a prop on a '72 Sanger superlite 1 " runnerbottom. I've got a mild bbc, 10 degree casale, 18 percent gears. Its just a lake toy. Just wondering what you would suggest?

V-Drive Tom
08-24-2003, 12:57 PM
72superlite, Because you have a light boat and it is a runner bottom, you can run a prop that would work on todays race boats. The reason you won't be able to is that you don't have enough HP for your gear ratio. If you lower the gear you will be able to handle an 11or11 1/8x16.
If you leave the 18's in it you better stick to a 15 pitch. 11 1/4 DIA. If you are not taking off racing from a real slow speed, then you can handle a little more DIA.
That just starts to scratch the surface about a prop for you on the little bit I know about your boat. Call me if you like. I may have a good prop for you for about $500. smile_sp TOM..