PDA

View Full Version : Bow eye hook loose WTF??

QuickJet
03-15-2007, 05:52 PM
How the hell is one to tighten the bow eye hook on a Cole Tr2??? I don't think anything bigger than a squirell would fit up there. I was thinking of using a real long extension (maybe a couple of them) and a swivel socket?? Anyone got any better ideas or is this my only option?
In my jet I was able to enlist the use of my son, who was 10 at the time, to do it, but not this time.

NUTHIN
03-15-2007, 06:04 PM
How the hell is one to tighten the bow eye hook on a Cole Tr2??? I don't think anything bigger than a squirell would fit up there. I was thinking of using a real long extension (maybe a couple of them) and a swivel socket?? Anyone got any better ideas or is this my only option?
In my jet I was able to enlist the use of my son, who was 10 at the time, to do it, but not this time.
how many times have I told you 5 gallons of gas doesnt last very long. If youde quit having people towing you in and jerking the eye hook like that..... you wouldnt have this problem now would you :jawdrop: :rolleyes: :D

QuickJet
03-15-2007, 06:10 PM
how many times have I told you 5 gallons of gas doesnt last very long. If youde quit having people towing you in and jerking the eye hook like that..... you wouldnt have this problem now would you :jawdrop: :rolleyes: :D
Ha ha ha...I did'nt get towed by the hook yah big dummy, I held the rope wakeboard style :D Seriously, I was going to have him tow me through the chanell until I saw the bow hook was loose. I got towed in but I drove that fvcker outta there :D :D
As far as the gas goes, I had no problem waisting it with a few hot laps (plus I had a five gallon jug sittin in my buddies boat just in case ;) )

NUTHIN
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Ha ha ha...I did'nt get towed by the hook yah big dummy, I held the rope wakeboard style :D Seriously, I was going to have him tow me through the chanell until I saw the bow hook was loose. I got towed in but I drove that fvcker outta there :D :D
As far as the gas goes, I had no problem waisting it with a few hot laps (plus I had a five gallon jug sittin in my buddies boat just in case ;) )
just do it the way all the shadetree mechanics do it... duh.. fiberglass around the eye dude;) :messedup:

77charger
03-15-2007, 06:27 PM
hope you have small kids send them up the bow!
On my flat i had it had a small hole in the bow with a snap in cap all youhad to do was remove the cap and get the socket with a long extension and retighten.
BTW it came loose alot from miles of towing the bouncing must do something bad.

79centurion
03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
At least you might be able to get to yours. On my picklefork there is no opening to it, and even if there was, the hook runs almost vertical.
Dan

dmontzsta
03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
yeah, get a kid who has some knowledge about what he is going to do. :)

QuickJet
03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
It would be impossable to send a kid into the bow of this thing. I'm gonna try a couple 4 foot extensions with a swivle on the end. With a little patience I think it might work. If it doesn't work I'm going to do what NUTHIN suggested and use some glue, gum, duct tape and fiberglass ;)

NUTHIN
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
It would be impossable to send a kid into the bow of this thing. I'm gonna try a couple 4 foot extensions with a swivle on the end. With a little patience I think it might work. If it doesn't work I'm going to do what NUTHIN suggested and use some glue, gum, duct tape and fiberglass ;)hell yeah thats what im talking about.... $hit be as good as new. dont know why peeps stress out on things. use some o that crap that seals the jet intakes water tite, itl be ahhight :messedup:

watergun4u
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
hey if your going to have it at ming this weekend, i'll try to get in there for ya, been in them before, with alittle wiggling, let me know
tye!:D

QuickJet
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
hell yeah thats what im talking about.... $hit be as good as new. dont know why peeps stress out on things. use some o that crap that seals the jet intakes water tite, itl be ahhight :messedup:
Jet intake??? what the fvck is that?? You jet guys have some weird shitt on and in your boats.
hey if your going to have it at ming this weekend, i'll try to get in there for ya, been in them before, with alittle wiggling, let me know
tye!:D
Damn Tye, I hadn't planned on going but that would almost make it worth the trip :D I think I'll post a pic of the little orfice I'm talking about. And NO!! NOT that orfice......:D

NUTHIN
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
wierd crap for sure. but that crap gets as hard as concrete man....:D i think some company named berkley or berkeley or something makes it. kool chit man. quick fix for ya. or hell better yet just yank that loose eye the hell out and make somethin different:D cut the bulkhead out and get in there and replace it dummy:rolleyes:

NUTHIN
03-15-2007, 08:36 PM
alright alright... pull down on the eye real hard and the latch lets loose, just lift up on the bow and the mold seperates. this is where i hid to drink crown when the ole lady was home...
p.s. im sorry i forgot to tell you that:D

Lefty
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
You can't get in there, unless your that Chinese guy from Oceans 11. I think the long extensions your best bet. I would just make sure to tape all the extensions together you don't want to lose one up there.

sc fab 1
03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
if you use the long extension idea, make sure to tape them together. it would be the $hits if one came off. :(

Lefty
03-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Is there an echo in here in here

QuickJet
03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Ha ha. I heard it too. :D
Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinatly going to black tape all the pieces together.
Hey NUTHIN, thanks for the idea of cutting a 12X12 hole in the bow for easy access but I think I'll try it my way first. I hope you understand bro. It's all good. :D

NUTHIN
03-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Ha ha. I heard it too. :D
Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinatly going to black tape all the pieces together.
Hey NUTHIN, thanks for the idea of cutting a 12X12 hole in the bow for easy access but I think I'll try it my way first. I hope you understand bro. It's all good. :D
good luck with that :rolleyes: :D

gn7
03-16-2007, 05:33 AM
wish i had a dollar for every small runabout that had a alumn. disk on its deck covering a hole just for this reason

MAXIMUS
03-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Just a thought. My good buddy has a tr2 that is as beautiful as yours. He cut in those bitchen flush bow lights that are kinda like eyes. Also installed a rear stick light mount on the back of the motor. Of coures we go boating a lot at night witch is a blast. With the lights in the bow you can remove them & reach in to repair your hook. The lights actually look really bitchen on the boat. Not for everybody but something I would do in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact my other gay lovers boat is a classic sanger bubble deck & he did the same thing. Looks & works nice...:)

steelcomp
03-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Isn't the bow eye double nutted...? Why don't you just thighten the outside nuts?
Or is it that you got no nuts at all???
:D :D

lucky
03-16-2007, 06:05 AM
:D hire one of those skinny illegles, if he get stuck oh well:D
hell no that would be an extra 90 lbs :D

lucky
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Just a thought. My good buddy has a tr2 that is as beautiful as yours. He cut in those bitchen flush bow lights that are kinda like eyes. Also installed a rear stick light mount on the back of the motor. Of coures we go boating a lot at night witch is a blast. With the lights in the bow you can remove them & reach in to repair your hook. The lights actually look really bitchen on the boat. Not for everybody but something I would do in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact my other gay lovers boat is a classic sanger bubble deck & he did the same thing. Looks & works nice...:)
Nice to have maxi back :) missed your posts - lmao

QuickJet
03-16-2007, 06:33 AM
You had me at "my other gay lover"

QuickJet
03-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Isn't the bow eye double nutted...? Why don't you just thighten the outside nuts?
Or is it that you got no nuts at all???
:D :D
:D Damn, that's a good one Scott. Nuts are cute but I have balls. Balls are bigger ;)
Oh, and it's not double nutted :(

smalls
03-16-2007, 06:42 AM
You have always talked about Navigation lights so you make night passes, Now is the time.
Pop a hole in the bow, tighten da eye and install your light.....

smalls
03-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Can you tighten it with a prop puller?

Flatbitchin
03-16-2007, 06:54 AM
I just had to replace my bow eye, First tried the extension but found that it didnt work. Then i had my 4 year old grandson climb up in the bow and my 6 year old grandaughter give it a strong arm tighten to finish it off. Thinking about opening a bow eye repair shop breaking the law w/ a little child labor. Gave them milkshakes when the were finished. Toooo easy.

QuickJet
03-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Can you tighten it with a prop puller?
Yup, sure could. Too bad I don't have one.

QuickJet
03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I just had to replace my bow eye, First tried the extension but found that it didnt work. Then i had my 4 year old grandson climb up in the bow and my 6 year old grandaughter give it a strong arm tighten to finish it off. Thinking about opening a bow eye repair shop breaking the law w/ a little child labor. Gave them milkshakes when the were finished. Toooo easy.
I know some venture capitalist that would help you get it started. Hell Kathy Lee did it :D

shirkey4750
03-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Used a swivel headed ratchet wrench taped to a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing to tighten my old Sanger hydro bow eye.

sc fab 1
03-16-2007, 09:22 PM
sorry bro! . read everything up untill your comment. My bad! :(

superdave013
03-16-2007, 09:25 PM
be glad yours is just loose.
I had a pal pull me out of the water once. He dumped the clutch in my little Ranger and those 4.56 gears just ripped that bow eye right out of the boat! :jawdrop:
So I try to slide up there with a disk sander to start the repair. Could not quite get to it so I exhaled and slid in a little more. Yup, I got stuck big time. Wife had to pull me out by my feet. I ended up sending a skinny friend up there 3 times. Once with the sander to rough things up, next with a small tub of resin and some fiberglass cloth (that was less then fun). Then the last time to put in the wood block and tighten up the nuts.

DMOORE
03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't worry about child labor, just hire midgets. At night you can rent them out for tossing contests in bars.:D
Darrell.

QuickJet
03-16-2007, 10:26 PM
be glad yours is just loose.
I had a pal pull me out of the water once. He dumped the clutch in my little Ranger and those 4.56 gears just ripped that bow eye right out of the boat! :jawdrop:
So I try to slide up there with a disk sander to start the repair. Could not quite get to it so I exhaled and slid in a little more. Yup, I got stuck big time. Wife had to pull me out by my feet. I ended up sending a skinny friend up there 3 times. Once with the sander to rough things up, next with a small tub of resin and some fiberglass cloth (that was less then fun). Then the last time to put in the wood block and tighten up the nuts.
That's some damn scarry shitt Dave. This hole is so small it eiviates any temptation from me slidding up there and tightening those things myself. Gonna break out the tools tomorrow and give it a try via taped extensions.
Plus I am very claustraphobic. Getting trapped in a small area like that would cause some serious hull damage due to my freaking out :eek:

Sangerboy
03-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Been there a couple of times. The bow eye broke on the Sanger(mainly due to wear and tear while towing on the road), I was able to get up in there but it was not easy, I paid my daughter Katelin ( she was about 13 at the time) to place the new support, backing and stainless nyloc nuts. Well worth the money. Couldn't do that now cuz during the restoration we added a deck support down the center of the hull so now even a 4 yr old would have trouble getting in there, I'm glad I made it as strong as I could then.
Ask eraser what you have to do when the entire bow is foamed, we had now choice but to cut a hole into the deck, he has some fine duct tape repair work now;) It broke because whoever rigged it missed the wood support with the back hole, it was only in fiberglass, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. So we repositioned it and just moved the bow eye holder forward on the trailer.
Speedin Ian and Dragboat Dad used extensions to replace the bow eye on their Cole. I think they rigged up some sort of ratcheting wrench.

fltflyn
03-17-2007, 04:54 AM
Couldn't you cut the hole in the bulkhead slightly bigger (depending how big a boy you are) and reglass the new cut ? Shouldn't lose to much structurel integrety. Just my .02.......

watergun4u
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Jet intake??? what the fvck is that?? You jet guys have some weird shitt on and in your boats.
Damn Tye, I hadn't planned on going but that would almost make it worth the trip :D I think I'll post a pic of the little orfice I'm talking about. And NO!! NOT that orfice......:D
dont use that sea going epoxy, it WONT HOLD A BOW EYE ,IT WILL crack out!take it from expereince!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bondsman
03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Call me at 916-803-4433. I'll explain how I fix mine and double nutted my bow eye from the inside. No cutting. John