PDA

View Full Version : Bonneville Salt Flats

phebus
03-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Anybody been for the World of Speed? Been watching Speed Channel, and now I'm intrigued, and want to go check it out.

Run_em_Hard
03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
When is it??? Lived here my whole life and have never gone, sounds like fun though. I have been to the salt flats many times and the name describes the location.

Mandelon
03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Go rent a movie called the World's Fastest Indian. Cool story about speed running there.

OutCole'd
03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Rick, I've been twice and it is pretty cool. If you were interested, let me know, I'd go again.

phebus
03-16-2007, 07:29 AM
World of Speed-- Sept. 12-15, 2007

phebus
03-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Go rent a movie called the World's Fastest Indian. Cool story about speed running there.
Thanks, I'll check out Blockbuster later.

Run_em_Hard
03-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Sounds good...might just have to go.

2Driver
03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
"The Worlds Fastest Indian". It's been on Direct TV lately. Great movie.

Mandelon
03-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Its a plan. OP6C WORLD OF SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Baja Big Dog
03-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Rick...we will be there in Aug. Were runnin the world record holder for 1000cc motorcycles. The record is held by my bro's dad....208 MPH at 75 years old.
GSXR 1100 sleeved down to 1000cc, twin turbocharged, hilborn injected (nightmare!!).
Over 320 HP on the dyno, (tire hazed at 320, couldnt hold the back of the bike down!!).
Watch the movie as Outcoled said, Its amazing how realistic the movie is.
They broadcast the runs on FM radio, so you know whats going on.
Weather permitting they will run the short and long course, if so it is fun to watch, they let the licence runs and the slower classes run the short course and the big guns run the long course, makes for much better viewing. Dont be expecting to see a whole lot as the end of the long course isnt visible from the start line. Hook up with me before and I can take you to the finish line, its fun to see the cars doing 200 plus.
Dont make the rookie mistake, do no go commando...had a friend come over from England, the sun's reflection off the salt burned his little British balls!!!!
Make hotel reservations early, Wendover Utah/Nevada is close to the track (5 miles).
I think they charge $25 for the week, or $10 a day to get in.

OutCole'd
03-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Both races that I have gone to were a great time. I bring motorcycles to cruise around on all day. The starting line and the pits are about 3-4 miles apart, so transportation is key. A full ice chest, sun glasses, sun block & a hat, and you have a great time.

DaddyMack
03-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Awesome movie.. would love to make the trip!!!

havasurat27
03-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Cool stuff...big bucks! A good friend of mine holds the world record for the fastest Fuel Roadster 255mph.....also holds the record at El Mirage. They are nutz!

OutCole'd
03-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Cool stuff...big bucks! A good friend of mine holds the world record for the fastest Fuel Roadster 255mph.....also holds the record at El Mirage. They are nutz!
Who is that?

Baja Big Dog
03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Althouh the World of Speed would be good I would plan on making the SCTA
Speed week, Aug 11th through 17th. (Sat through Friday).
Alot more of the big guns want the SCTA records and I thini you will see alot more fast cars/trucks/bikes in August.
The world finals are October 3rd through the 6th. This sometimes brings out the really big guns going for the high speed records.
The best part is if anyone out on the west coast or you Vegas boys are going to Sturgis it is on the way home if you go through Salt Lake City to Ely.

Infomaniac
03-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Southern CaliforniaTiming Assoc. has a web site with lnks to everything.

OutCole'd
03-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Althouh the World of Speed would be good I would plan on making the SCTA
Speed week, Aug 11th through 17th. (Sat through Friday).
Alot more of the big guns want the SCTA records and I thini you will see alot more fast cars/trucks/bikes in August.
The world finals are October 3rd through the 6th. This sometimes brings out the really big guns going for the high speed records.
The best part is if anyone out on the west coast or you Vegas boys are going to Sturgis it is on the way home if you go through Salt Lake City to Ely.
That's when I have gone in the past was the August race. Problem with that is I always do a week long Havasu trip that weeks with about 4-5 other family's.

DaddyMack
03-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Oh .. good call!!!! :D

spectras only
03-16-2007, 08:47 AM
somebody over there should re-create this stunt for giggles :D
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15october02vincentmotors.html
The speed is amazing with the technology of the era .

Redneck
03-16-2007, 09:07 AM
they also race the cars by my dads house in El Mirage they are alot of fun to go watch

havasurat27
03-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Who is that?
Mike Brauer.....Brauer and Sons Racing.....If you don't know him you are missing out. What a character!

OutCole'd
03-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Mike Brauer.....Brauer and Sons Racing.....If you don't know him you are missing out. What a character!
Nope, I never met him. A friend has a Roadster, Bob Noice, Tim Confal drives it. Not sure what class, there are so many. I think there are running 300+.

RitcheyRch
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Ditto that.
Awesome movie.. would love to make the trip!!!

wolfie
03-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Lived here 5 years and so far haven't been out yet.. Unfortunately it during football season....the kid graduates next year so we'll be going after that.

Fountainduo
03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
We will be there in 09 running a 29 ford.....still being built. Steel body on duece rails. Hemi or flathead power. Still the air. The history there is amazing. Cant wait.......:)

Big Kahunaa
03-16-2007, 07:42 PM
i vote flathead

LandSpeedRacer
03-17-2007, 08:46 AM
For anyone who has been to Bonneville, you know what I mean when I say it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We went in '97 because that is where my son wanted to go for his 12th birthday. It was at the World of Speed. So we went and I was hooked. We met Juaqin Arnett, of Bean Bandit fame, and they welcomed us like family. They were filming a video of their attempts, and had just grenaded the last 392, when one of the crew noticed we were having a small celebration for my son, stopped what they were doing, got everyone in the pits together and sang happy birthday, giving him a shirt and a great memory. A few weeks later Juaquin sent me the documentary, complete with the happy birthday moments of everyone singing while a mix of oil, nitro and ground up aluminum leaked out of the streamliner. Great people.
I went home and started building my lakester, which was the old "Rat Patrol" Top Fuel Dragster with a B-58 Hustler drop tank for a body. Unfortunately, that car got chewed up and spit out in a nasty divorce, the only thing to survive was the engine currently in our flattie. When things got better, my son and I aquired the #904 Freeland and Corcoran 1948 Crosley Competiton Coupe. The car is currently under re-construction, and we are going for 300mph hopefully next year.
The coolest thing of all, we use our 1970 Sanger flattie to test our engine and multiple turbo combos, and the lure of Bonneville has indirectly got me into Hot Boating. And I believe the guys who run dry lakes are cut from the same cloth as hot boaters . . . . We all walk on the edge of the same razor blade.
LSR
FYI - keep an eye on the Black Rock desert north of Reno, there are going to be some attepts at 800 later this year . . . . the F-104 without wings and Breedloves old car driven by Steve Fossett and sponsored by Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Records, Atlantic, Galactic, etc etc

Phat Matt
03-17-2007, 08:49 AM
We walk on the edge of the same razor blade.
LSR
Nice quote. :)

superdave013
03-17-2007, 09:01 AM
This bike is going back! The major change is that the kid sitting on the gas tanks is now 53 years old! Total rebuild of the bike is going on now. It should be a hoot.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503Triumph_2-7_family.jpg

Baja Big Dog
03-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Super....you goin to SCTA?, We will have to hook up at Brian's and lie...

superdave013
03-17-2007, 09:07 AM
If that bike gets done in time I'll be going with it for sure. It's coming along very well. The guy sitting on it was a major influnce in the way I do things.