PDA

View Full Version : lexan windshield

sandwindersandcars
03-16-2007, 07:22 AM
anyone know who can cut and bend a small lexan windshield, mine is cracked on my 21'kachina jet.
preferrably someone in Az so i dont have to try to ship.
Thanks

Dan Lorenze
03-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Try these guys..... They're in Havi
http://finneys.com/marine.htm

squirt'nmyload
03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
we can cut it at our shop but i don't think they can bend it......i'll find out in a minute

squirt'nmyload
03-16-2007, 02:00 PM
can't bend it......but if you need any cut, just let me know ....i'm a auto glass installer but we have a full service glass shop:)

Xlration Marine
03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
AZ-AK Marine in Havasu. Local call Proto Plastics, west side of town. I think his name is Jeff. Or call Rick at "that shop" on washington. He knows the guy, new owner, might not be jeff. But call Rick.
Phone : AZ-AK Marine
928-680-0498
He just did mine, shipping wasn't bad.

sandwindersandcars
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
AZ-AK Marine in Havasu. Local call Proto Plastics, west side of town. I think his name is Jeff. Or call Rick at "that shop" on washington. He knows the guy, new owner, might not be jeff. But call Rick.
Phone : AZ-AK Marine
928-680-0498
He just did mine, shipping wasn't bad.
i think the shipping will be expensive, it will definately be oversize, the windshield is about 6'long and about 2 1/2' front to back, but only 5 or 6" tall.
still will require a 3'x6' reinforced box. heres a pic

sandwindersandcars
03-18-2007, 03:45 PM
can't bend it......but if you need any cut, just let me know ....i'm a auto glass installer but we have a full service glass shop:)
i think i will do that, i'll cut it at the bends so it can be layed flat so it can be traced, then after it is cut, i will make a small strip heating element to heat and then bend it in my sheet metal brake.
do you carry the dark smoked lexan 1/4 or 5/16 at your shop?
also, does anyone know where i can find the following windshield attaching clip

steveo143
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Finney's should have that one

Cas
03-18-2007, 04:18 PM
i think i will do that, i'll cut it at the bends so it can be layed flat so it can be traced, then after it is cut, i will make a small strip heating element to heat and then bend it in my sheet metal brake.
WHOA!!! Don't cut it! Use a heat gun to straighten it out....just don't keep the heat in one place too long.
I made my own from material I purchased at TAP Plastics.
Here's what I started with when I got the boat
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/lfront.jpg
and here's what I made, this was just a test fit, they weren't quite done yet. I used a heat gun and our wood burning stove to get it hot enough to bend. Once heated, it's like a wet noodle :D
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/rfront.jpg

sandwindersandcars
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
nice job, what trashed it in the first place?

Cas
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing it was the hot desert sun. I bought it from Jim Brock down in SoCal and I believe he was just the go between. He said he thinks the boat sat out in the sun for a couple of years. Most of the gel on the top didn't look very much better than the windshields.....lots of hours of color sanding and buffing.

squirt'nmyload
03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
do you carry the dark smoked lexan 1/4 or 5/16 at your shop?
also, does anyone know where i can find the following windshield attaching clip
i think they do...i'll find out tomorrow:)