PDA

View Full Version : Churches Offer Sanctuary To Illegal Immigrants

RitcheyRch
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_074215557.html
Churches in a handful of US cities are preparing to launch a "sanctuary" movement to help illegal immigrants stave off deportation.
The Reverend Alexia Salvatierra is the executive director of Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, an interfaith association spearheading the plans. He says the New Sanctuary Movement is based on the sanctuary movement in the 1980s, when churches harbored Central American refugees who were fleeing wars in their home countries.
Salvatierra says they are in the process of identifying immigrant families to assist, but declined further details.
The New Sanctuary Movement's Web site lists Los Angeles, Chicago and New York as central cities.
Salvatierra says the full plan will be unveiled in several weeks.

Jyruiz
03-16-2007, 09:04 AM
That should be againts the law, f'n bull shit.

RitcheyRch
03-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Kind of like harboring a fugitive.
That should be againts the law, f'n bull shit.

yopengo
03-16-2007, 10:09 AM
That’s it I’m calling God and canceling my Bank of Jesus Christ credit card. :eek:
I know I will burn in hell for this. :D :D :D

BADBLOWN572
03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, an interfaith association spearheading the plans. He says the New Sanctuary Movement is based on the sanctuary movement in the 1980s, when churches harbored Central American refugees who were fleeing wars in their home countries.
Economic Justice? Realistically, the majority of the illegal immigrants who live in the United States do not contribute, financially, to the common goals. Most do not pay taxes, extort public resources, etc.
Refugees/War: Last time I checked, they do not execute you if you are deported and sent back to your home country. If it was a matter of life/death I would definitely support sanctuary, but it is not about that at all. It is all about extorting the system.
With that being said, I do support immigrants coming over LEGALLY, contributing to society, etc... It has to be within reason, but parameters could be setup. By claiming sanctuary in a religious facility, it would be like harboring a fugitive. :(

Redding Rat
03-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Also keep in mind that churches are tax exempt so not only are they against deporting "illegal’s" they are costing us more money in the long run

little rowe boat
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Not surprising, they give criminals sanctuary. Which is what illegals are. In Panama they gave Manuel Norriega sanctuary.

BADBLOWN572
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Also keep in mind that churches are tax exempt so not only are they against deporting "illegal’s" they are costing us more money in the long run
They are also a benefit to the community which makes it worth it. Also, look at the real estate that they consume. Would probably be less than 1/4-1/2 of a single % of the United States. Priests, employees, nuns, etc... They are all taxed on their income. It is just the church itself does not pay income, property, or other taxes.
Such a small % that it would be insignificant.

03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
You just cant trust a man named "Alexia".

Sportin' Wood
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Lets not forget who gives to the church. Last time I check my local Catholic church it had turned mostly sanish speaking.
<---------------------wants to imigrate to Baja:D

03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Lets not forget who gives to the church. Last time I check my local Catholic church it had turned mostly sanish speaking.
<---------------------wants to imigrate to Baja:D
I would'nt know I'm a recovering Catholic. Been clean for almost twenty years.

RitcheyRch
03-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Amen. :D
:devil: :mad: what part of not being here "LEGALLY" do these people not get, you want to become an AMERICAN CITIZEN, then do it properly and you won't be hassled !!! pretty god damn simple, oh , I forgot, that means you would first have to understand "ENGLISH" !!!! comprendo !!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Waist Deep
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, if they think it's safe at church, wait til they get up with a sore ass. They'll show them the Body of Christ! Well, at least part of it.

OCMerrill
03-16-2007, 04:35 PM
A Church that turns political can loose its Tax Exempt status in a big hurry. The IRS can then go after tax money for all years the church has been filing exempt status.
Basically...any church that breaks the law rolls the dice.

rrrr
03-16-2007, 05:00 PM
That’s it I’m calling God and canceling my Bank of Jesus Christ credit card. :eek:
I know I will burn in hell for this. :D :D :D
LMAO!!! :D

Sportin' Wood
03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I would'nt know I'm a recovering Catholic. Been clean for almost twenty years.
They booted me back in the 5th grade........I would not put out... Man I'm going to he ll for that!