PDA

View Full Version : welcome to 2008 6.4's

shadow
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
The cab has to come off ......................
For just about anything other than changing oil & filters. Hopefully we won't have problems like the 6.0 had.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2082-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2084-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5472DSCF2081-med.JPG

clownpuncher
03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Looks nice from the pics here as well as others on the web. I was gonna wait until 09 to get one, but, I opted for my new 07 Harley F250.
Maybe in a couple of years I'll step up and get one.
Any $$ idea on a loaded one? Maybe in a King Ranch and 4 X 4?
One other question for the Ford guru. I'm interested in getting an additional fuel tank in my current pick-up. I don't want on ein the bed, preferrably underneath or even on the passenger side under the wheel well area.
Any thoughs on that?
Thanks
ROC

clownpuncher
03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Also, I imagine that the 08's are engineered for semi-easy cab removal?

catman-do
03-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Ive seen a few on the freeway. Those trucks are lookig bada$$.

shadow
03-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Looks nice from the pics here as well as others on the web. I was gonna wait until 09 to get one, but, I opted for my new 07 Harley F250.
One other question for the Ford guru. I'm interested in getting an additional fuel tank in my current pick-up. I don't want on ein the bed, preferrably underneath or even on the passenger side under the wheel well area.
Any thoughs on that?
Thanks
ROC
Definately sweet trucks! Almost as quite as a gas engine,comfotable and plenty of power.
No telling if there will be problems wth the first year,we will just have to wait and see.This only the first one with a problem.
Fully loaded i belive they are pushng 60k:jawdrop:
as far as an additional fuel tank not sure,haven't seen any tucked up underneath,i'm sure there are some after market companys making them.
I'll ask around.

AZJD
03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
They look badass but it's still a Ford!

shadow
03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Also, I imagine that the 08's are engineered for semi-easy cab removal?
Yes<But still will be a pain in the ass for a Diagnoisis,plan on dropping it off and leaving it,if there is an oil leak or anything other than hooking up the laptop.

clownpuncher
03-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Fully loaded i belive they are pushng 60k:jawdrop:
I'm gonna need a job :(
as far as an additional fuel tank not sure,haven't seen any tucked up underneath,i'm sure there are some after market companys making them.
I'll ask around.
Thanks

CornWater
03-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes<But still will be a pain in the ass for a Diagnoisis,plan on dropping it off and leaving it,if there is an oil leak or anything other than hooking up the laptop.
Good way to screw the "do it yourselfer"...

shadow
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Thats a fact!

YeLLowBoaT
03-16-2007, 05:07 PM
even if you didn't have to pull the cab, there is not much a DIY could do anyways...

Trailer Park Casanova
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
The only thing worse than the 6.0 were the auto trannys hooked to them.
Our fleet lost all the trannys except one, and they were run way under GVW.
Removing the cab for service,, that ain't good IMHO, unless the engine is such a brutal beast ya have to un-cage it to get to it,, maybe a method to the madness.
We're going to wait and see.
Nice trucks the new SD F450,, but Fords track record,,,

phebus
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna need a job
Roland, did you end up going out on a medical?

CornWater
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
even if you didn't have to pull the cab, there is not much a DIY could do anyways...
You must know me.... :D :D

Burn504
03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
No telling if there will be problems wth the first year,we will just have to wait and see.This only the first one with a problem.
Umm... they already sent back over a thousand diesel motors for 08. Ford had to go to court to get them to honor the warranty.
Expect there to be a ton of problems with the new 6.4's and after the contract is up switch diesel engine suppliers.
**edit**
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/08/internationals-diesel-engines-headed-back-to-ford-plant/
its was problems with the 6.0's. But i still think Ford is going to more away from International in the near future. They almost cut them off before this last contract for 6.4's. It was kind of a last chance for Internationals contract with Ford.

shadow
03-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Removing the cab for service,, that ain't good IMHO, unless the engine is such a brutal beast ya have to un-cage it to get to it,, maybe a method to the madness.
I'm suprised to hear of so many tranny problems.Our trans man is usually always busy but dosen't seem to be working on the Torqshift tranny as much as others.:confused:
Removing the cab is ness due to the fact there is almost no access to the beast,yes it is a beast lets just hope it works out well for the customers.

Beer-30
03-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Maybe they outta look into a tilt front end like the larger trucks.
Maybe someone in the aftermarket will make a "Lambo front end" to go with the "Lambo doors". :idea:

shadow
03-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Umm... they already sent back over a thousand diesel motors for 08. Ford had to go to court to get them to honor the warranty.
Expect there to be a ton of problems with the new 6.4's and after the contract is up switch diesel engine suppliers.
Lots of rumors floating around with bits and pieces of stories.:idea:
You know how these stories get changed around as they go from person to person down the grapevine.
I don't belive everything i hear for now.

cc322
03-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Nice pics I have driven one and they are very quiet, the headlights are growing on me. IMO Ford SD Still the one to beat......41,000 on my V10 and not one problem. At the water department I work at we have a whole fleet of SD we only buy Ford and have never seen a problem with the TS tranny or 4r100, or the E4od. Now if they woould just up the HP on the 5.4.....6.2???? rumor has it:D
Yep the 6.4 are commin click on 3rd one from the right top row
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/videos.php?

bigq
03-16-2007, 06:00 PM
So did they make a little easy to take the cab off? I am stunned you have to do that.:eek:

Jordy
03-16-2007, 06:03 PM
So did they make a little easy to take the cab off? I am stunned you have to do that.:eek:
Yeah, you just push a button and the whole thing lifts up!!! Even better than the old cabovers with the hydraulic tilt!!! :D :D :D

clownpuncher
03-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Roland, did you end up going out on a medical?
I sure did. Lungs and knees, and they say even a little off kilter ;)
Still going through the long process, glad I ain't in no hurry.
It's been a great 21 years though:D

phebus
03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I sure did. Lungs and knees, and they say even a little off kilter ;)
Still going through the long process, glad I ain't in no hurry.
It's been a great 21 years though:D
I ended up with 23, and they officially retired me out in Jan '06. Long process is right, with no end in sight. It sure will be nice to have the whole retirement, comp issues settled, and i have no idea what to expect.

clownpuncher
03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
I ended up with 23, and they officially retired me out in Jan '06. Long process is right, with no end in sight. It sure will be nice to have the whole retirement, comp issues settled, and i have no idea what to expect.
Hang in there. Maybe we should meet up and have a beer to compare notes. that is....If you even like beer:D
Hey, I just hung out with one of your dudes today. Does the name Rob P. ring a bell. He's a big BC now
Sure like them 08 Ford pick-ups

riverroyal
03-16-2007, 07:16 PM
house were complaining about this
My fear would be cab removal and the damage done during R&R,scratched dents etc.You know its gonna happen
BY the way my 6.0 got new batteries under warranty monday,engine check light came on yesterday,back to ford next week:mad:

shadow
03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
house were complaining about this
My fear would be cab removal and the damage done during R&R,scratched dents etc.You know its gonna happen
BY the way my 6.0 got new batteries under warranty monday,engine check light came on yesterday,back to ford next week:mad:
Who's been the tech working on your truck at No County,Scott,Larry or Robert ring a bell?

riverroyal
03-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Who's been the tech working on your truck at No County,Scott,Larry or Robert ring a bell?
I will ask monday when it goes back,this will be week #3 on a monday im 1st in line.I already inquired with a lemon attorney,only thing stopping me is the banks exhaust and intake,he thinks it may blow the lemon deal because ford is so screwed on these truck,they have been finding all kind of reason to avoid buy backs.I did look hard at a 08 monday,they are nice

riverroyal
03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
its ken grody,not north count ford

bigq
03-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, you just push a button and the whole thing lifts up!!! Even better than the old cabovers with the hydraulic tilt!!! :D :D :D
the Getto Cabover???

shadow
03-16-2007, 07:35 PM
its ken grody,not north count ford
Ahhh! That explains it, i always thought you were going to Vista. If you get tired of Grody go over to No. County and ask for Scott Pond,Tell him you are my friend and i can always give him a call as well.

riverroyal
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Ahhh! That explains it, i always thought you were going to Vista. If you get tired of Grody go over to No. County and ask for Scott Pond,Tell him you are my friend and i can always give him a call as well.
ken grody has been great,serv writer is super,trucks just a bad lemon.

Not So Fast
03-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Some body please enlighten me, and I'm not knocking Ford OK, we all have out preferences and thats cool. A trusted Ford mechanic comes on here and states that if you buy a certain truck model in 2008 and have to have any thing done other that a routine oil & filter change that the CAB WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE TO BE REMOVED:confused: and you are OK with that and even more amazing to me is that anyone would consider buying one of these trucks what with the record I read about with their previous models having trouble after trouble. I just dont get it, sorry :confused: NSF

shadow
03-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Some body please enlighten me, and I'm not knocking Ford OK, we all have out preferences and thats cool. A trusted Ford mechanic comes on here and states that if you buy a certain truck model in 2008 and have to have any thing done other that a routine oil & filter change that the CAB WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE TO BE REMOVED:confused: and you are OK with that and even more amazing to me is that anyone would consider buying one of these trucks what with the record I read about with their previous models having trouble after trouble. I just dont get it, sorry :confused: NSF
NSF,you have a good point.
Keep in mind i am definately not talking bad about the 2008 6.4's.
The cab having to be removed for alot of repairs may not nessacarily be a bad thing "if" the repairs are not needed.
Lets hope they run strong and don't have the problems that gave the 6.0 a bad rap.
Of course there will be some with some needed repairs but compared to the
100's of thousands out there maybe repairs needed will be miniscule.;)

Baja Big Dog
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
**edit**
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/08/internationals-diesel-engines-headed-back-to-ford-plant/
its was problems with the 6.0's. But i still think Ford is going to more away from International in the near future. They almost cut them off before this last contract for 6.4's. It was kind of a last chance for Internationals contract with Ford.
With this type of imagine you should work for the comic book folks... Hoe do you get "a ton of problems" out of court muddy decisions not to ship engines to ford?
Do a search on the subject, it has been beat to death and your conclusions are unjustified.

Baja Big Dog
03-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Wow..I own a fleet of fords also, and have only one trans failure out of 10 trucks, and it was my truck, that piece of crap took a shit with only 210,000. I would never buy another one of those!!!:jawdrop:
Trailer Park, I would start looking into the driving habits of your guys... the drive it like you stole it theory will have a negative effect on equipment.

KineticoH20
03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I have 11k on an 06 6.0 and it has been flawless. Remember Ford sells more SD's than anyone probably put toether! So even though the 6.0's had some issues percentage wise it is still small. I have always been a GM guy but the fit and finish of the Ford is way ahead of the compitition.

AzMandella
03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm going to be looking at the 08's for a while.But right now my 99' 7.3 has had absolutely zero issues with the motor and only a transfer case rebuild at 110,000mi.I have not chipped it or any other mods as it's just as it came off the showroom floor.But I still put my full sized cabover camper on it and pull my boat up the 7&9% grades for 40 miles to the lakes with no problems.

Kachina26
03-17-2007, 09:59 AM
So, if the MIL comes on and the driveability guy has to start checking connections, doing pin drag tests and what not, he has to take the cab off? Nice. How much labor will you be charging for cab removal when it goes out of warranty? You know, say for rodent damage to a wiring harness. I'm so glad I'm runnin' choo choos now. Ya'll can keep that bullshiot.

03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
The day I purchased my 2003 F-350, FX4, 7.3l diesel, it DIED on the street while backing into my driveway (only 24 mi. on it) and never ran again. The Ford dealer said they found bolts in the oil pan and replaced the engine... runs good now...

Magic34
03-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Maybe we need to write Chevy a few letters asking for a truck to match the f450.

Beer-30
03-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Maybe we need to write Chevy a few letters asking for a truck to match the f450.
Uh, I believe you HAD one, at one point.:) And it had more rear leg room to boot.

Magic34
03-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Uh, I believe you HAD one, at one point.:) And it had more rear leg room to boot.
That was not an answer, that was a big question... Like why the hell would anyone want one?
The new F450 is sick. I sat in one on Prez Day weekend, and loved it. However, I mentally/emotionally cant deal with the crap that everyone talks about with problems. I already did that once with my 4500 and I had to go on anti-depressants for 12 months after having that truck.

Beer-30
03-18-2007, 07:13 AM
That was not an answer, that was a big question... Like why the hell would anyone want one?
The new F450 is sick. I sat in one on Prez Day weekend, and loved it. However, I mentally/emotionally cant deal with the crap that everyone talks about with problems. I already did that once with my 4500 and I had to go on anti-depressants for 12 months after having that truck.
Not meaning to thread-jack, but what was it (generally) that you didn't like about the 4500? I'll take a stab that the ride was a little bumpy when empty / not towing, but I haven't even ridden in one. Curious.

Magic34
03-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Not meaning to thread-jack, but what was it (generally) that you didn't like about the 4500? I'll take a stab that the ride was a little bumpy when empty / not towing, but I haven't even ridden in one. Curious.
All the custom stuff from Regency kept braking. The Duramax was way low on HP with what the truck weighed. It couldn't get out of its own way. The truck would collapse at the sight of sand. The lights would short out and kill the batteries every night. BTW.... The reason the Duramax has 2 batteries is because it takes that much power to start the thing. If youhave a dead battery, a jump box and battery charger hooked up at the same time wont start it. Gearing sucked too! The ride... What ride?

SUPERDUTYRHINO
03-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I will ask monday when it goes back,this will be week #3 on a monday im 1st in line.I already inquired with a lemon attorney,only thing stopping me is the banks exhaust and intake,he thinks it may blow the lemon deal because ford is so screwed on these truck,they have been finding all kind of reason to avoid buy backs.I did look hard at a 08 monday,they are nice
The exhaust will not stop a lemon law from going through, I just completed my settlement. I had a Banks exhaust and Airaid.
Tim

Trailer Park Casanova
03-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks
ROC
We're looking closely at them.
A nicely equipped F450 4x4 was quoted to us about $58K otd.
That was without the sunroof but with the factory video.
KR would be more $$
Wife said the KR seats were much harder than the standard Leather,, but damn they look cool in their Rawhide trim.
Ya gotta sit in the F450 and also check out the wheels in person to really appreciate them.
The head of the LADWP fleet (Mbrowns neighbor) said every F450 trans died except one, and died several deaths.
" We Put new trannys in, they spit them out".
"Our allisons just keep on running".
That's a huge fleet, I think (one of) the Southwests largest and they are all run way under GVW.
An eye opener.
We just don't wanna go through that anymore.
Love the truck,, but brother have we ever driven down this road before.
Tired of getting bit by this dog.
Would like to keep the truck way beyond the warranty period.
Starting to feel bad for Ford.

Magic34
03-18-2007, 08:01 AM
We're looking closely at them.
A nicely equipped F450 4x4 was quoted to us about $58K otd.
That was without the sunroof but with the factory video.
KR would be more $$
Wife said the KR seats were much harder than the standard Leather,, but damn they look cool in their Rawhide trim.
Ya gotta sit in the F450 and also check out the wheels in person to really appreciate them.
The head of the LADWP fleet (Mbrowns neighbor) said every F450 trans died except one, and died several deaths.
" We Put new trannys in, they spit them out".
That's a huge fleet, I think the nations largest and they are all run way under GVW.
An eye opener.
We just don't wanna go through that anymore.
Love the truck,, but brother have we ever driven down this road before.
Tired of getting bit by this dog.
Would like to keep the truck way beyond the warranty period.
Starting to feel bad for Ford.
Damn, that makes the 4500 look great and that is sad!