PDA

View Full Version : Boat accident in Havasu

BigDoug
03-16-2007, 06:57 PM
My buddy was waching the chaos at site 6 and said a boat was haulin ass up river and made a sharp left turn where the fisherman hangout and rolled over, pitched both people out. that's all i know, does anyone else have any info ?..........................sorry no pics.

lalhc
03-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I heard a bunch a sirens around that time from the Islander RV Resort.

Chicken Ship
03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes it is true! I had just launched my boat was heading out of the no wake zone when it happened. The boat was about 30+ in length I believe it was a Sunsation. The guy was hauling ass made a sharp left hand turn at a high speed and the boat did one complete roll ejecting a woman and man. I was the first one there! The woman was in distress complaining of neck and arm pain. My buddy and I pulled her onto the bow of my boat, the driver kept saying is she ok as he swam over to my boat. We pulled him aboard took him over to his boat, that was now a couple hundred yards away. His boat had damage to the right rear and the bilge pump was pumping water out the side. I left him at his boat and took her to the docks. As there were plenty of people around willing to help him out. She kept saying she did not want to go to the hospital but the paramedics were already on the way. She told them she was ok and would take herself to the hospital. But when they tried to help her up she said the pain was too severe in her neck. Make the long story short they put her on a back board and took her away
Someone else towed the boat to shore where the driver was met by other paramedics where he refused treatment. When the sheriffs department arrived they gave him a field sobriety test and made him blow into a breathalyzer. He blew a .07 he got busted for an OUI. I was told if there is an accident and you blow a .01 you will get busted for an OUI.

mikefd024
03-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Dang!!!! .01 most people on the lake, on weekends are at least that...The Police and the Sheriffs could be a having a field day if they really want to. I wonder if that is really true...:idea:

djunkie
03-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Yes it is true! I had just launched my boat was heading out of the no wake zone when it happened. The boat was about 30+ in length I believe it was a Sunsation. The guy was hauling ass made a sharp left hand turn at a high speed and the boat did one complete roll ejecting a woman and man. I was the first one there! The woman was in distress complaining of neck and arm pain. My buddy and I pulled her onto the bow of my boat, the driver kept saying is she ok as he swam over to my boat. We pulled him aboard took him over to his boat, that was now a couple hundred yards away. His boat had damage to the right rear and the bilge pump was pumping water out the side. I left him at his boat and took her to the docks. As there were plenty of people around willing to help him out. She kept saying she did not want to go to the hospital but the paramedics were already on the way. She told them she was ok and would take herself to the hospital. But when they tried to help her up she said the pain was too severe in her neck. Make the long story short they put her on a back board and took her away
Someone else towed the boat to shore where the driver was met by other paramedics where he refused treatment. When the sheriffs department arrived they gave him a field sobriety test and made him blow into a breathalyzer. He blew a .07 he got busted for an OUI. I was told if there is an accident and you blow a .01 you will get busted for an OUI.
Man I hate hearing these stories. Good job on stepping up and helping.

DMOORE
03-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Dang!!!! .01 most people on the lake, on weekends are at least that...The Police and the Sheriffs could be a having a field day if they really want to. I wonder if that is really true...:idea:
No kidding. One beer and your involved in a minor accident. OFF TO JAIL YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just nuts.
Darrell.

Chicken Ship
03-16-2007, 09:36 PM
The sheriff’s officer told me this. When the guy that towed the big boat in asked what the legal drinking limit was.

AzMandella
03-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Gee go figure.This is exactly why I stay away at spring break. I think they ought to rename it "Amateur Break" or "Amateur Week"

Chicken Ship
03-16-2007, 09:43 PM
The boat that rolled was still on the shore next to the fishing dock ramp, at site six, when I came off the water at 9:00. I am sure it will still be there in the early morning, if someone wants to get pictures. I think the woman said they were from Colorado and they launched at the Nautical Inn.

YeLLowBoaT
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
No kidding. One beer and your involved in a minor accident. OFF TO JAIL YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just nuts.
Darrell.
I see that as a good thing.

mikefd024
03-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Must have been a crappy driver obviously, how the hell do eject out of a 30' boat. That must have been a hell of turn....

DMOORE
03-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I see that as a good thing.
So if a guy has ONE beer, and happens to be in an accident, (not necessarily his fault) he should go to jail? Uh...OK.
Darrell.

BadKachina
03-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Kinda like this Sunsation from last year?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26666&d=1174111175
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26667&d=1174111190

Redneck
03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
was it a dual drive if so wonder if he lost a drive?

YeLLowBoaT
03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
So if a guy has ONE beer, and happens to be in an accident, (not necessarily his fault) he should go to jail? Uh...OK.
Darrell.
Can you really tell me that 1 beer does not effect some ones judgement and reflexs?

Ultracrazy
03-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Darrell.
Yep.........

Deano
03-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Can you really tell me that 1 beer does not effect some ones judgement and reflexs?
yep

YeLLowBoaT
03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
yep
If you really beleave that. next time you go under the knife, tell the doc to have a beer before he does the surgery.

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Driving a boat and performing surgery are quite different...wouldn't you say? I would!

YeLLowBoaT
03-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Driving a boat and performing surgery are quite different...wouldn't you say? I would!
you just said it does not effect judgment or reflexs... so which is it?

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Within the legal limits of affecting your ability to do the right thing.....yes. Illegal...no, sorry. I'll drink "one" beer and do 175 mph down the lake any day.....sorry.

YeLLowBoaT
03-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Within the legal limits of affecting your ability to do the right thing.....yes. Illegal...no, sorry. I'll drink "one" beer and do 175 mph down the lake any day.....sorry.
actually the .08 is just a number...They can still charge you with if you have a lower BAC if they deem that you were intoxicated.
Some ppl can drink a 6 pack and are fine, others get messed up on just one...
Rather you like it or not, if your in a wreck and you have any booze in your system you are going to pay for it, might not get a DUI/OUI, but in civil court any half way decent lawyer will have a field day with you.
if you really think having one beer with not mess with your reaction time... grab a stop watch( the older round works best)... try to stop exactly on the min sober, then every 15 mins after you have had a beer... or have some one drop a ruller and radom and you try to catch it and see how far it drops. I think you will have your eyes opened.

raff
03-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I'll drink "one" beer and do 175 mph down the lake any day.....sorry.
Let me know what day that is so I can stay off the water.

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Civil schmival.....lets have a beer and go for a ride. I just drove my rhino home after having about 55 beers.....that was only after the Goose ran out....I made it okay:D
My reaction time was Puuurrrrrfect.
I'll be in church at 9 sharp...see ya there.;)

eliminatedsprinter
03-17-2007, 12:53 AM
One beer is more like .06 to .10 .
.01 is much less than even one beer. Virtually nobody has any measurable cognitive or motor affects at all from .01. Even the most severly ETOH sensitive folks don't show effects until .02 or .03....

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Let me know what day that is so I can stay off the water.
Better keep the boat in the garage.......j/k, lighten up fellas. I guess I need to go to the "what are you drinking tonight thread"
On a serious note. It's a damn shame to hear about a boat rolling over...sober or not! Good night, or morning, whatever.......

Ziggy
03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Civil schmival.....lets have a beer and go for a ride. I just drove my rhino home after having about 55 beers.....that was only after the Goose ran out....I made it okay:D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Deano
03-17-2007, 01:03 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That was a joke....except the church part.:)

Ziggy
03-17-2007, 01:16 AM
That was a joke....except the church part.:)
I figured so but one never knows on here anymore........ :)
And my reaction might be slightly skewed because I had an aquaintance who once thought that way :(

shueman
03-17-2007, 04:27 AM
My view on this:
That stretch of lake in front of Site 6 is quite narrow. There are boats coming out, going in, and manuevering around at various speeds; the water gets pretty torn up. IT'S NO PLACE TO BE A SHOW-OFF AND EXECUTE A POWER TURN AT SPEED.
We fish those docks quite often on week-end evenings and it's AMAZING to watch boats passing at speed BETWEEN boats idle in the water. Just nutz.
I would not be suprised to see a NO WAKE ZONE in the near future.

LHC30Victory
03-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Hey, maybe it was a (dangerous :eek: ) stepped hull and the guy didn't know how to turn those at speed :idea:

shadow
03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Hey, maybe it was a (dangerous :eek: ) stepped hull and the guy didn't know how to turn those at speed :idea:
Nope Ted, i think it's just the meat heads in 30ft boats!:D

BigDoug
03-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Im not understanding this .01 thing at all and what is deemed "legally drunk"
Let's put this in perspective for a moment shall we.......im 6'3" and 295#s and don't drink at all.....................if i decided to have a beer today while im in the chanell and get pulled over, do you think i'll get through the test or will my judgement be impaired slightly ?.......................this story is the sole reason why i don't drink !!..................plus beer taste nasty to me !! :D
But i do like the strawberry margs at Havolina cantina cause it taste like a slurpee (sp)..........i steal sips from the wife.....hehe :D

Todd969
03-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Im not understanding this .01 thing at all and what is deemed "legally drunk"
Let's put this in perspective for a moment shall we.......im 6'3" and 295#s and don't drink at all.....................if i decided to have a beer today while im in the chanell and get pulled over, do you think i'll get through the test or will my judgement be impaired slightly ?.......................this story is the sole reason why i don't drink !!..................plus beer taste nasty to me !! :D
But i do like the strawberry margs at Havolina cantina cause it taste like a slurpee (sp)..........i steal sips from the wife.....hehe :D
Isn't that normal for you:D Launching an hour, see you out there.:)

Chromegorilla
03-17-2007, 06:55 AM
What about this Sunsation fomr last year.... and my friend didn't get a BUI....:jawdrop:
I'm not taking away from the fact the driver was drinking, but the boat, in my opinion is pretty "tall" for it's length. Giving it a high metacentric center. Which puts massive amounts of pressure on the sides of the hull during a hard turn.
More than couple have spun out with...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0003.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0004.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0005.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0006.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0007.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/0008.jpg

Boatcop
03-17-2007, 06:56 AM
When the sheriffs department arrived they gave him a field sobriety test and made him blow into a breathalyzer. He blew a .07 he got busted for an OUI. I was told if there is an accident and you blow a .01 you will get busted for an OUI.
This is not true. If an Officer told you this, he doesn't have an understanding of the boating laws or the law in general. The following a direct quote from State law:
1. If there was at that time 0.05 or less alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, it may be presumed that the defendant was not under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
2. If there was at that time in excess of 0.05 but less than 0.08 alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, such fact shall not give rise to any presumption that the defendant was or was not under the influence of intoxicating liquor, but such fact may be considered with other competent evidence in determining the guilt or innocence of the defendant.
3. If there was at that time 0.08 or more alcohol concentration in the defendant's blood, breath or other bodily substance, it may be presumed that the defendant was under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
Paragraph 1, 2 or 3 of this subsection shall not be construed as limiting the introduction of any other competent evidence bearing on the question of whether or not the defendant was under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
The same law that says that some one IS presumed to be impaired at .08% or above, says that they ARE NOT presumed to be impaired at 05% or below. Whether an accident occurred or not is not a factor.
A preliminary test of .07% is not admissible. The only test that is admissible is one that is done on a certified evidentiary device, usually located at a Station.
The PBT units can read anywhere from .02% above to .02% below the actual level. They are only used as part of the whole FST procedure to determine if alcohol is causing the impairment, or whether some other substance (drugs) is involved. That way we know what evidentiary test to conduct (Blood, breath, or urine).
A person can be found impaired from above .05% to .07% based on other evidence of impairment (driving pattern, performance on FSTs, etc)
No one will ever be arrested, or found guilty of OUI at .05% or below. (Except commercial boat or vehicle drivers, or pilots where the level is .04%), but any alcohol in a persons system will be exploited to the max in civil litigation, regardless of whether they were charged with OUI.

BigDoug
03-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Alan, i knew you were going to show up !!............thanks for the input :D

steve d
03-17-2007, 07:13 AM
Boat Cop...............
Do you remember the incident at needles bridge area where the fella just opened his beer as he floated down the river and two girls on pwc's ran into his pontoon boat.
The litigation was astronomical and in the end it was not pretty.
If not I will give it my best.

DAVEO
03-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Iam really suprized that some people dont care that being under the influance of any substance that will impair your reflexes endangers more than the people in your boat. Im not saying Ive never done it but I quit drinking 15 years ago and Im happy I dont have to deal with this. I hope everyone is ok and will recover fast.
Remember booze heat and HP = disaster.
Please be safe out there.

Lightning
03-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Daveo - Where is RWC do you live. I went to high school at Sequoia.
On another note, boating and beers don't mix - I'm sure RD has some input on this..

Lavey29
03-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Is this also applicable to boat accidents where there is injury to someone in your boat or the other boat or will any alchohol reading even if it is below the .05 get you hooked? Basically, does an injury during a boating accident change the standard for what is considered impaired or not?
This is not true. If an Officer told you this, he doesn't have an understanding of the boating laws or the law in general. The following a direct quote from State law:
The same law that says that some one IS presumed to be impaired at .08% or above, says that they ARE NOT presumed to be impaired at 05% or below. Whether an accident occurred or not is not a factor.
A preliminary test of .07% is not admissible. The only test that is admissible is one that is done on a certified evidentiary device, usually located at a Station.
The PBT units can read anywhere from .02% above to .02% below the actual level. They are only used as part of the whole FST procedure to determine if alcohol is causing the impairment, or whether some other substance (drugs) is involved. That way we know what evidentiary test to conduct (Blood, breath, or urine).
A person can be found impaired from above .05% to .07% based on other evidence of impairment (driving pattern, performance on FSTs, etc)
No one will ever be arrested, or found guilty of OUI at .05% or below. (Except commercial boat or vehicle drivers, or pilots where the level is .04%), but any alcohol in a persons system will be exploited to the max in civil litigation, regardless of whether they were charged with OUI.

Jetaholic
03-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm sure RD has some input on this..
RD Sux...:D

Hardly Satisfied
03-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Glad to see that you were there to help and no one was killed

Phat Matt
03-17-2007, 07:44 AM
One beer is more like .06 to .10 .
.01 is much less than even one beer. Virtually nobody has any measurable cognitive or motor affects at all from .01. Even the most severly ETOH sensitive folks don't show effects until .02 or .03....
Maybe if you are a 60lb little girl who hasn't eaten in 2 days.

lalhc
03-17-2007, 07:45 AM
That section of the lake around Site 6 is quite dangerous especially in the afternoon for boaters traveling West. The sun is right in your eyes, you have people fishing in boats right around the point, and boaters and jet-skiers are pulling in and out of Site 6.

HTRDLNCN
03-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Without knowing all the facts I cant comment on this exact situation but if the captain was already on shore for a bit and then he was tested it wont hold up in court if he has any kind of an attorney. All he has to say is he had a stiff drink once he was on shore and away from his boat to calm him down.

Phat Matt
03-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Without knowing all the facts I cant comment on this exact situation but if the captain was already on shore for a bit and then he was tested it wont hold up in court if he has any kind of an attorney. All he has to say is he had a stiff drink once he was on shore and away from his boat to calm him down.
Actually I think there is a time stipulation involved with drinking and boating.
Boatcop?

rrrr
03-17-2007, 08:25 AM
My view on this:
That stretch of lake in front of Site 6 is quite narrow. There are boats coming out, going in, and manuevering around at various speeds; the water gets pretty torn up. IT'S NO PLACE TO BE A SHOW-OFF AND EXECUTE A POWER TURN AT SPEED.
We fish those docks quite often on week-end evenings and it's AMAZING to watch boats passing at speed BETWEEN boats idle in the water. Just nutz.
I would not be suprised to see a NO WAKE ZONE in the near future.
I think this is more important.....the guy hauls ass through a launch site and crashes.
Shows a complete lack of brains and qualification to even drive a boat of that size.

77charger
03-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Its that time of year again all the drinking and driving "i never drink on the water etc.etc"But i dont want to drive thru an on the water checkpoint cause it causes a delay,Breathilyzers at the dock would back up traffic and so on.So all those who think .01 is guilty i bet you drive 55 on the freeway too while towing or the speed limit all the time not one mph over too.glad boatcop can clear it up on the .05 issue
Wheres rd on this.

HTRDLNCN
03-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I think this is more important.....the guy hauls ass through a launch site and crashes.
Shows a complete lack of brains and qualification to even drive a boat of that size.
yup,,they should have charged him with reckless endangerment...
Much rather have a knowledgable seasoned skipper that had a beer
cruising by than a sober inexperienced hothead showing off his new 1000hp toy.

Boatcop
03-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Is this also applicable to boat accidents where there is injury to someone in your boat or the other boat or will any alchohol reading even if it is below the .05 get you hooked? Basically, does an injury during a boating accident change the standard for what is considered impaired or not?
Did you miss the part in my post that said: "Whether an accident occurred or not is not a factor."
The only thing different about an accident OUI, is that we don't need to actually see the person operating, nor need a witness to them operating. The person's statement that they were operating is admissible in the case of an accident where any person is injured.
Actually I think there is a time stipulation involved with drinking and boating.
Boatcop?
It used to be an "Affirmative Defense" that a person who is above the limit at the time of test "might" have been below at the time they were actually driving. The law now says within 2 hours of operating or being in actual physical control.
If more than 2 hours has elapsed before testing, and we want to spend the money, the prosecutor can bring in an expert to retrograde the BAC back from the time of test, based on the weight of the individual, the test result and the time of accident or their operating the vessel/vehicle. The absorption or metabolization rate of alcohol in the average human body is .015% per hour. So a person who tests at .06% 4 hours after driving would have had a BAC of .12% at time of operation. (.015% x 4 = .06% + .06% = .12%). That evidence is admissible, if testified to by a court recognized expert in alcohol effects on the human body.
It is true that impairment of judgment, motor skills, hand/eye coordination, etc. begins at BAC levels as low as .02%. Things like heat, rocking of the boat, vibration, glare, noise, dehydration, and other stressors of boating enhance the effects of alcohol, so a person is actually more "impaired" on a boat that they would be while driving a motor vehicle at the same BAC.
Simple answer to all these questions is to STAY SOBER while behind the wheel. Why is that so hard to understand?
As I pointed out before, the BAC levels are used for criminal prosecution. In a civil court, if you are sued as a result of an accident, ANY BAC is admissible. Civil juries take a dim view of people driving boats or vehicles while drinking, and usually impose huge punitive judgments against thtem.

H20 Toie
03-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Must have been a crappy driver obviously, how the hell do eject out of a 30' boat. That must have been a hell of turn....
If it's a step boat it doesn't take much to eject someone from a 30' or bigger boat. If the drives and tabs are in the wrong postion when you go into a turn someone is going for a swim, they do not handle the same as a straight bottom and getting ejected is a lot more common then you would expect. That is one of the reasons Tres Martin has a boat class just for Step boats and Cats not for straight bottom boats.

LHC30Victory
03-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Nope Ted, i think it's just the meat heads in 30ft boats!:D
thanks D. I knew I could count on you :D

LHC30Victory
03-17-2007, 10:25 AM
If it's a step boat it doesn't take much to eject someone from a 30' or bigger boat. If the drives and tabs are in the wrong postion when you go into a turn someone is going for a swim, they do not handle the same as a straight bottom and getting ejected is a lot more common then you would expect. That is one of the reasons Tres Martin has a boat class just for Step boats and Cats not for straight bottom boats.
At least someone got my point!!!

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
:eek: wait till havasu makes the channel a "no dinking" zone :eek: that is a grumbling in the political arena of havasu???:eek:
Like thats really going to help anything other than the locals going out of business and city tax revenue loss. I think it would also promote drunk driving. If someone can't party in the channel, then they need to go out on the lake and do it. That sounds logical, not.
There are far more idiots driving boats around that are more dangerous to everyone than a guy that had a beer or two and is an experinenced boater.
I've been driving boats on the lake since I was a kid. I've never been in an accident. I avoid idiots, sea doos, and boats making turns in front of me all the time.
The guy that rolled that sunsation is a jackass. Those boats have BIG steps in them and don't turn well. He doesn't know how to drive and would have rolled it sober or not. They should put him in the idiot tank, not drunk tank!

Quality Time
03-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Those boats have BIG steps in them and don't turn well.
and you have experience on one?
The Dominator SS & Innovator (which was what was posted on pare 2 & page 1 respectively) have steps that traverse from port to starboard. As with any step hull, you have to drive them different as H2O Toie pointed out. The Dominator has a step that only reached the first chine and is a pad bottom which is what I have.
Bottom line know your equipment before you start pushing the limits.

Deano
03-17-2007, 12:41 PM
and you have experience on one?
Yes, I'm not bagging on the boat at all. I didn't mean to come off that way. I love sunsations and almost bought one a few years back...nice boats for sure.
Like you said. Know your equipment before you start pushing the limits. The boat has steps in it and needs to be treated as any other V boat with steps...They run loose and fast.

mikes280
03-17-2007, 01:33 PM
drunk or not that is about the 6'th sunsation that has gone over in two years that i have heard about and i watched one all but go over with a driver in it that knows how to run a boat. this guy may be a ass but there is something going on with this hull and these people are just lucky they are still around.

Chromegorilla
03-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Bottom line know your equipment before you start pushing the limits.
I agree... but for my friend, his 32SS spun out while running 50 in a gradual right hand turn. Both passengers ejected. Just ask the water patrol that was behind him when it happened....
Spinouts happen.... for what ever reason. But there have been more than a couple 32SS's that have spun and BROKE as a result. The pictures I posted SHOULD NOT be the result of what happened in that spin out.
My friend had a 288 before this one. he loved it. I enjoyed that boat as well. When he bought the 32SS I was even more impressed. I really liked the boat. But I'll never buy one now. not after seeing the result of his spinout. The boat shoud be able to survive it.

Chromegorilla
03-17-2007, 01:38 PM
drunk or not that is about the 6'th sunsation that has gone over in two years that i have heard about and i watched one all but go over with a driver in it that knows how to run a boat. this guy may be a ass but there is something going on with this hull and these people are just lucky they are still around.
You lost focker?....:D NortechJ can tell ya all about this one mike.... he knows the story...

DaddyMack
03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Well said BC.... was going to chime in... but you beat me to it... basically you are guilty .08 or above... between .05 and .07 they have to prove your are impaired... below .05 not impaired.
civil is different... but the govt. doesn't deal with that.. that's if someone else or their property is damaged.

mikes280
03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
You lost focker?....:D NortechJ can tell ya all about this one mike.... he knows the story...
no not lost i read more over here then post but i do enjoy this board have to come here to see JBB's pics:D

H20 Toie
03-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I agree... but for my friend, his 32SS spun out while running 50 in a gradual right hand turn. Both passengers ejected. Just ask the water patrol that was behind him when it happened....
Spinouts happen.... for what ever reason. But there have been more than a couple 32SS's that have spun and BROKE as a result. The pictures I posted SHOULD NOT be the result of what happened in that spin out.
My friend had a 288 before this one. he loved it. I enjoyed that boat as well. When he bought the 32SS I was even more impressed. I really liked the boat. But I'll never buy one now. not after seeing the result of his spinout. The boat shoud be able to survive it.
They happen becuase your props get aired out(from the steps) when you go into a turn and you lose control and people go flying. No boat is going to hold up well to a roll over or even a spin, there is way to much pressure put on the side of the boat for it handle, look at what happens to the $500k+ boat when they spin some of them completley come apart.
Turning a step boat at 50 is way more then enough speed to get into trouble.
The same goes for a cat, how many of those have crashed in the last few years? Everyone that buys a step boat or cat should have to take Tres class, It was a big eye opener for me.

Havasu1986
03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't understand this step vee problem. I have a 98' 25' Eliminator Eagle with a 2 step bottom, if thats what you call it. I have never have had a problem or worry about turning at any MPH. Is it because of the shorter boat or less H.P. I have a 502 and the max is 65 mph.:confused:

Chromegorilla
03-17-2007, 06:06 PM
No boat is going to hold up well to a roll over or even a spin, there is way to much pressure put on the side of the boat for it handle, look at what happens to the $500k+ boat when they spin some of them completley come apart.
A boat should hold up to a spin at 50MPH.... I have had more than a few people in the industry tell me this.... and these are people whose opinions are pretty widely respected... hell I know of one manufacturer that tries to spin their boats during testing just to see A. What does it take to spin each particular hull B. What are the results after the spin.
A rollover..all bets off as designers/aval architects can't don't design for that....
but your right....props get aerated from the steps and lose their bite on the water.... ass end goes round....
Take a look here.... http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13519 Some of these guys really know their chit..... most agree the damage should not be expected.

Chromegorilla
03-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Everyone that buys a step boat or cat should have to take Tres class, It was a big eye opener for me.
I agree... his classes are invaluable. Kudos for attending.

GBarron97
03-17-2007, 06:18 PM
It amazes me how so many people that are regular boaters have no idea what one beer can do to your equalibriam and your reaction time.

Screemy1
03-17-2007, 07:15 PM
he he he.... for real though.... it is common to drink and drive, car, boat, whatever.... It is a risk though.... if you crash your car and have a .01 you can be charged.... like when you are at work, you have an on the job accident.... they test for drugs and alcohal... but people still do it... Risks are in life.... just be safe, have a good time, and know your limits.... if you have an accident and know the risks.... everything is good.... these laws are to help keep people safe... police can tell when somebody is under the influence.... like the guy refusing treatment..... If you feel fine after a beer or two... so be it, I can drink plenty and "feel" safe.... I choose not too because I find being a sober person whil out amongst possible drunks on the water... I want to be top notch for my family and any other boater out there.... Don't get me wrong, I will drink 1-3 drinks and drive my car.... but I do not do it on holidays knowing that there is more risk.... not a full proof plan... But I am as careful and realistic as possible.... Yes, I had some scary driving intoxicated in cars and motorcycles.... I am glad I survived the single care free days. I am married and have a son.... so my priorities have change and I still have fun with out drinks.... but you never know the situation somebody is in.... Please be careful and watch your booze.... And 175MPH... he he, you may do it with a beer in ya, but would you do it sober during spring break crowds.... Have fun out there....

OCMerrill
03-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I never read what the driver of the boat said happened. Hearsay at this point I think.
I would hesitate to pass judgment on this guy until all the facts are known.
He could have lost steering, turned hard to avoid lice? Thought he saw something, miss judged, Who the hell really knows.
I had a rudder clevis pin shear on my flat bottom going about 75 mph in front of Echo Lodge about 20 years ago. Its a real good thing flats don't turn real well on the gas and I had a velvet-drive trans to slam reverse or I would not be here to type this. My one and only boating shit dropper. I plan to keep it at that.
My point is...shit happens. Sometimes called freak shit...get my point. Kudos to the good Samaritan stepping up to help.

H20 Toie
03-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't understand this step vee problem. I have a 98' 25' Eliminator Eagle with a 2 step bottom, if thats what you call it. I have never have had a problem or worry about turning at any MPH. Is it because of the shorter boat or less H.P. I have a 502 and the max is 65 mph.:confused:
With a twin step it puts air under your boat which helps with speed, if you go into a turn and the air hits the prop then the boat will not turn, say your in a left hand turn and as you go to straighten out it is still turning left, what is most peoples reaction? they would turn the wheel more to the right, then when the prop does get in contact with the water you have now turned the drive so much that jerks the whole boat and in a split second everyone is swimming.

Garrddogg
03-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Has anybody got any pics of the boat ?????

Havasu Carrera
03-17-2007, 08:39 PM
yup,,they should have charged him with reckless endangerment...
Much rather have a knowledgable seasoned skipper that had a beer
cruising by than a sober inexperienced hothead showing off his new 1000hp toy.
Well Said!!!

DEMOMAN
03-17-2007, 08:52 PM
I never read what the driver of the boat said happened. Hearsay at this point I think.
I would hesitate to pass judgment on this guy until all the facts are known.
He could have lost steering, turned hard to avoid lice? Thought he saw something, miss judged, Who the hell really knows.
I had a rudder clevis pin shear on my flat bottom going about 75 mph in front of Echo Lodge about 20 years ago. Its a real good thing flats don't turn real well on the gas and I had a velvet-drive trans to slam reverse or I would not be here to type this. My one and only boating shit dropper. I plan to keep it at that.
My point is...shit happens. Sometimes called freak shit...get my point. Kudos to the good Samaritan stepping up to help.
Well said, until the facts are all out this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, could have been mechanical failure etc.

bLoWn N Rayson
03-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Hey do any of you guys know of a boat like mine that hit the Needles bridge a while back? I heard sum people got killed I just heard it was a 23 ft Raysoncrash.. oh.... *craft....:rolleyes:

02HoWaRd26
03-18-2007, 08:12 AM
rayson if your talking about 2 years ago, not sure what the boat was but I do know that 2 of the guys killed worked at the railroad I work 1 in barstow and the other in san berdu!!!

DAVEO
03-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Daveo - Where is RWC do you live. I went to high school at Sequoia.
On another note, boating and beers don't mix - I'm sure RD has some input on this..
I live in redwood shores off holly street.

Phat Matt
03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey do any of you guys know of a boat like mine that hit the Needles bridge a while back? I heard sum people got killed I just heard it was a 23 ft Raysoncrash.. oh.... *craft....:rolleyes:
It was a Renegade.

Tres
03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
We are going to Lake Havasu!
The week proceeding the Desert Storm Poker Run, Tres Martin and Brad Schoenwald will be at the Nautical Inn at Lake Havasu holding class. The Performance Boat Class has seats available for the Thursday, 26 April session and with the first two Ultra High Performance Courses (UPC) filled only four seats remain available in the last UPC. The Performance Boat Class is designed to develop the skills and abilities required to safely operate performance boats capable of speeds up to 75 MPH. The Ultra High Performance Course is designed for both V-bottoms and Catamarans at speeds to 80 MPH and beyond. Registration is available immediately by contacting Tres Martins Performance boat School at 352.620.8737 or online at

bLoWn N Rayson
03-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Thats what i thought... it was the same hull though cuz Renegade sold the Mold to Johnny at Raysoncraft then he f**ked up my fuel filler by moving it to the back... Oh well time to bust out the good old Miller Tig and weld a new stainless pipe that has enough of an angle to actually get gas in there.... Its funny because it takes me about half an hour to fill the boat now...

Boatcop
03-19-2007, 05:39 AM
From this mornings Havasu News:
The Mohave County Sheriff's Office reports a single boat accident near Site Six on Friday. It was around 6:35 p.m. when the operator of the 32-foot Dominator Sunstation, Chris Rezek, 43, of Durango, Colo., made an abrupt turn to portside (left), flipping the boat and ejecting both him and his passenger, Terry Pulsifer, 37, of Durango, Colo.
“The boat did not sink and passers-by brought both the victims to shore,” said MCSO Lt. Randy Johnson. “Pulsifer was transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center where she was treated and released for what are believed to be minor injuries.”
Rezek was charged with OUI, operating a boat with a blood-alcohol content greater than .08 and failure to control speed to avoid an accident. He was booked into Mohave County Jail.