PDA

View Full Version : Ajustable Ride Plate

76 Bonneville
03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sure some of you could give some info on this plate setup. This is the first one that i have seen. Bought the Rogers on Ebay last Oct. - had all kinds of surprises.:idea:

jetboatperformance
03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
76 i'd personally like to se more pics ,thats some very interesting engineering Thanks Tom

Squirtcha?
03-16-2007, 07:47 PM
That is an interesting setup. I've seen some "on the fly" adjustable rideplates before, but this one looks to be a better setup. With all the screws and various fastners I'd question the strength of it. There's a lot of force at work on that plate. Then again it looks like it's been on there for a while, I reckon it can take it.
I assume it's operated via a pedal, a handle, or both?
Is that bowl on upside down?

76 Bonneville
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
76 i'd personally like to se more pics ,thats some very interesting engineering Thanks Tom
It sounds like it's new to you too. I've been around jet boats since i was a kid in the early 70's and this is a first for me. Thats the best pic that i have right now. You can see they had it hooked up to a steering cable, from there it went to a old SuperWench motor under the seat w/ a switch mount under the dash. Motor works but the cable is froze, CP Marine had some short cabled rack & pinions on sale. might have to order one.

snake321
03-17-2007, 04:36 AM
I'd like to see where it pivots back at the intake..

Squirtcha?
03-17-2007, 05:28 AM
I'd like to see where it pivots back at the intake..
Good point. I'd like to see the shoe setup as well. Kinda surprised to see all that engineering on the rideplate and a fixed nozzle (no diverter).
Also........... being that it's controlled via an electric motor, it seems like it would be hard to adjust it the same way each time. With a lockout handle you'd know it was right when you hit the notch.

4trax
03-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Here ya go
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26657&d=1174101403

old rigger
03-17-2007, 06:49 AM
I talked to Roger the other day and we shot the bull about a lot of boat stuff, but this didn't come up. lol. They did do an adjustable grate that was hooked up to a down pedal like on a v-drive. I wonder if he ever saw or knew about this.
Gonna call him again next week, I'm gonna bring it up. That set up is pretty cool. I would think if it worked, you wouldn't need a diverter. :)
Lets see some more pictures of your boat and fill us in on the ebay deal. Where was it for sale? By the way, Roger and I talked about his old molds and he told me that someone has popped a mold off of a 19 TR and is selling the again. Thought that was kinda cool too. Great hull.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Very intersting setup, and it does appear that the bowl is on upside down. I do think a diverter would still be an asset, gonna be really intersting to see how it runs/works in use.:idea:
And Welcome. :)

old rigger
03-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Very intersting setup, and it does appear that the bowl is on upside down. I do think a diverter would still be an asset, gonna be really intersting to see how it runs/works in use.:idea:
And Welcome. :)
The bowl is not on upside down. You can see the boss's for the oil fills on the top side where they should be.
It looks like the pump at one time had a cradle for the ride plate, hence the ss allen head bolt pluging the hole at about 5 o clock in the picture.

FOURQ
03-17-2007, 08:51 AM
The bowl is not on upside down. You can see the boss's for the oil fills on the top side where they should be.
It looks like the pump at one time had a cradle for the ride plate, hence the ss allen head bolt pluging the hole at about 5 o clock in the picture.
yep thats what I see as well

76 Bonneville
03-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I talked to Roger the other day and we shot the bull about a lot of boat stuff, but this didn't come up. lol. They did do an adjustable grate that was hooked up to a down pedal like on a v-drive. I wonder if he ever saw or knew about this.
Gonna call him again next week, I'm gonna bring it up. That set up is pretty cool. I would think if it worked, you wouldn't need a diverter. :)
Lets see some more pictures of your boat and fill us in on the ebay deal. Where was it for sale? By the way, Roger and I talked about his old molds and he told me that someone has popped a mold off of a 19 TR and is selling the again. Thought that was kinda cool too. Great hull.
When you talk to Roger ask him if he remembers Howard Lund, he's my uncle. In 72/73 he bought a 18' Cyclone honey dew yellow/lime green metalflake trim and lime green interior. I was 12 at the time and visited Rogers shop a few of times. That started the whole jet boat thing for me.I've had 5 jet boats but this is my first Rogers(still have 3) Bought the boat in Pomona last Oct. 4400.00, didn't know what I was getting. As i walked up to the boat I noticed it had a magnetto / ss impeller/nozzel insert/ Gil headers and a rail kit. Got it home and found rusty fuel tanks, so I ran it out of a gas can and it started right up.Also has roller rockers and dome top pistons(does this mean 12/1 comp.?) Name on the boat is Super Squirt may be someone has seen it around. The trailer is an Allen, it still had the old keystone wheels on it and upolstered steps very ghetto.

76 Bonneville
03-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Good point. I'd like to see the shoe setup as well. Kinda surprised to see all that engineering on the rideplate and a fixed nozzle (no diverter).
Also........... being that it's controlled via an electric motor, it seems like it would be hard to adjust it the same way each time. With a lockout handle you'd know it was right when you hit the notch.
The ride plate has a typical mount -4 screws. Check out the length of the plate, it's 5'' longer than a standard one. This allows it to bend with little effort. From a neutral position it moves down about 1". When I redo this setup a steering wheel mount may be in order. This boat probably wont see the water until next year. I recently talked to Salvador @ OC Boat Repair to schedule new gel next winter.

Rondane
03-17-2007, 09:25 AM
right on rigger, smokin's sight is pretty bad, he just doesnt realize it. :D

old rigger
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I recently talked to Salvador @ OC Boat Repair to schedule new gel next winter.
Good choice. I was there last week and the season is just breaking loose, so waiting til this winter is smart. Known him for 33+ years now, best around. imho.:)
"ask him if he remembers Howard Lund, he's my uncle"...I will.

76 Bonneville
03-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Good choice. I was there last week and the season is just breaking loose, so waiting til this winter is smart. Known him for 33+ years now, best around. imho.:)
"ask him if he remembers Howard Lund, he's my uncle"...I will.
Salvidor regelled my 89 Advantage 2 yrs ago and Raul @ A-1 did the interior. Bought it from Harry when they were in Anahiem - Great Guy - Sad what that family has gone through.:( Here are some pics of Salvidors work).

SmokinLowriderSS
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
On closer look, you're right OR, and thx. I thought I saw the fill bosses on the bottom corners in that area. Miss-ID'd that plug-bolt.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
right on rigger, smokin's sight is pretty bad, he just doesnt realize it. :D
Nice add-on by the POS troll who spent 2 yrs on the board lying about owning a boat. Way to help out there fukstik. :devil:
By the way, that thing in the picture is called a "jet drive pump", and the thing it is attatched to, is called a "BOAT".

old rigger
03-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Salvidor regelled my 89 Advantage 2 yrs ago and Raul @ A-1 did the interior. Bought it from Harry when they were in Anahiem - Great Guy - Sad what that family has gone through.:( Here are some pics of Salvidors work).
lol. I was GM for Harry when your boat was built. I was there from '87-'90. :) We would use Raul from time to time but our main guy then was Stan Stratton.

76 Bonneville
03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
lol. I was GM for Harry when your boat was built. I was there from '87-'90. :) We would use Raul from time to time but our main guy then was Stan Stratton.
Old Rigger - I sure we've met then. I would come up every 2 or 3 days to take pics of the progess. Have pics of Jeff standing next to the deck mold w/ my graphics masked off. That was just before Pringle took my drawing of the deck graphics and ripped them up in front of me - Harry had warned me to stay away from him:) it was pretty funny - Pringle did a great job.My boat was suppose to be in the 89 L A boat show but Harry said because of the deck graphics he didn't want to show it. It was the first time they had run the fades down the deck,under the stripes at the base of the house and over the house to the gauges.When I ordered it in Dec. 88 Harry, Byron and another gentleman who I believe use to race a Horizon help set me up.I dont know if you remember but there was a 20' Bonneville Classic (orange) that you guys had built floating around the shop unrigged. The story I got was that Roger had pulled his mold back? I have brochures of that hull both as an Advantage and a Rogers w/ price list in different stages. Back to Rogers - what ever happened to the molds besides the one that Advantage has? I even thought of splashing my 19. Out of respect for Roger I would have to have his blessings on that. Do you think he ever meet with me and maybe autograph these brochures I have. It would be quite an honor. Thanks for all of your industry insights Old Rigger. Ron

old rigger
03-17-2007, 02:48 PM
The other salesman you remember was Chuck Collins. He was quite a character and I have some very funny stories of he and Byron 'fighting' over the salesman territory. Chuck raced, back in the day, a K boat. Big balls to drive one of those.
I don't remember the 20 you mentioned, probably because I'm color blind. Roger and Harry had words, but Harry bought the molds from Roger so there was no passing them back and forth as I remember. I worked for Roger when the molds were sold to Harry then followed them to Advantage a years or so later. Harry bought the 18 bubble, the 20 b-ville and the Dragstar. Roger kept the 18 flat deck (with the better 18 bottom), 19 TR, 20TR outboard and his 21. He sold everything a few years ago to some guy, and I hear that a few of them were sold off again. I don't know that for sure though, just a rumor.
I'm sure if I saw you again I'd remember you. I ran the side of the shop where we geled, assembled and rigged. Lyle ran the shop across the street. After I quit, I came back a few years later, after the move to Havasu, and I would rig all the 20's in the old fiberglass concepts shop that Jeff was running.
Pringle was a blast, I miss working with him more than any other from that shop.
Roger has a heart of gold and I'm sure would love to sign whatever you wanted. :)

76 Bonneville
03-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Old Rigger, Thanks again this is a blast for me. Anytime I can talk boats w/ someone I love it, and as it turns out its a small very community. Let me know if you ever have a lite day, I'll buy you lunch and maybe we set something up with Roger for the next time i'm in Havasu. I'm just down the road in northern San Diego. :D

76 Bonneville
03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey Tom, Camera was at work so I couldn't get you any updated views until today. Switch is under the dash / rack steering cable and super wench motor is under the seat. From there the too long cable makes a couple of donuts under the pan and through the water lines before it exits to the plate adjustment arm. Interesting concept, not sure what would be the best way to set it up. Maybe a ram w/ push buttons on the wheel or a pedal like the V-Drive boys. Anyone else out there with something like this?

desrtrat256
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
very nice restos