PDA

View Full Version : water pressure and cracked jackets

uselessgrant
03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
got a 455 olds with cracked water jackets. if all else is ok can they be sealed up and run as is with an open cooling system?

Moneypitt
03-17-2007, 11:18 PM
got a 455 olds with cracked water jackets. if all else is ok can they be sealed up and run as is with an open cooling system?
My first guess would be NO...........Where are the cracks and how are you planning to seal them up?..............MP

uselessgrant
03-18-2007, 09:01 AM
they are on the outside of the block about 2'' below the top deck under the exaust manifolds.. jb weld the cure for what ails ya!:D truth be known i sealed up some mercruiser exaust manifolds whith jb weld and that was 5 years ago they are still on the boat and they don't leak.

Moneypitt
03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Anyone else ever seen an Olds crack there? If the cracks are external, hell go for it. You will be able to see the results............There have been some Olds motors very reasonable in the spam section. Guys switching over to BBC or FoMoCo........I would look around a bit........MP

sanger455
03-18-2007, 09:17 AM
if its to the out side jb weld it

uselessgrant
03-18-2007, 09:18 AM
i got one of those available if need be came out of a jet boat 500 bucks. really want to hang an outboard on it eventually thought i would try it since i have never had the boat in the water.

Moneypitt
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Was this block magged? Or just visable cracks? I would worry about other areas that you can't see..........Like internal!!...........MP

TahitiTiger
03-18-2007, 10:11 AM
never seen a block crack there. Give it a nice vee grind, and try that liquid metal. Worst that could happen is it leaks again. But also think, if it is cracked there, it could very possibly have cylinder damage as well.
Just food for thought.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-18-2007, 10:11 AM
really want to hang an outboard on it eventually
What in the world for? :confused:
Oh well, it IS your boat. :)

uselessgrant
03-18-2007, 10:16 AM
out boards don't take up interior space and they are more effecient that a bb jet. i want to see how this hull handles.

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
When we had our olds rebuilt 2 years ago it had the same cracks in the water jackets. I believe its caused by dirt and sand getting stuck in the water jacket then the moisture in the dirt freezes and cracks the block. If you pull the motor you could have the crack pinned. They drill holes along and put these special pins in the holes. I think JB weld would work but you might want to drill a hole at each end of the crack first to stop the crack from spreading.:idea:

uselessgrant
03-22-2007, 02:17 AM
tried to roll the motor over with a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley would only roll around about 270 deg. and then it would stop solid. I think i has some cylinder damage. time to find another one or get after my outboard idea.:idea:

uselessgrant
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
tore it down to the short block today. just had a little rust in some of the cylinders...got it to go all the way around now cylinders look ok , no ridge!:)