PDA

View Full Version : TV guru's

djunkie
03-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new tv and my g/f has a hookup on these plasmas. Are they any good? I was kinda set on a LCD Sony but I can get this 50" Visio Plasma for around $1,200. Is that good deal? How does this compare to what else is out there?
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=5

Kilrtoy
03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I take it, there is a ship coming in tonight:D

djunkie
03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I take it, there is a ship coming in tonight:D
You want one? :D :D

Kilrtoy
03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
You want one? :D :D
You gonna hook a brother up like that, SWEET

djunkie
03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
You gonna hook a brother up like that, SWEET
If I was getting one for free I wouldn't be on here asking opinion on them. :D Unfortunately we don't steal out of containers like some think. Hell we never know whats inside those dam things.

THATJEFFGUY
03-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new tv and my g/f has a hookup on these plasmas. Are they any good? I was kinda set on a LCD Sony but I can get this 50" Visio Plasma for around $1,200. Is that good deal? How does this compare to what else is out there?
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=5
How many can you get ?? I'm interested ! A buddy of mine has one of these and I like the quality...can't beat the price either !

djunkie
03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
How many can you get ?? I'm interested ! A buddy of mine has one of these and I like the quality...can't beat the price either !
Not sure. I'll have to ask her.

djunkie
03-18-2007, 01:57 PM
You don't actually expect us to believe that bullshit, do you? :D :D
No, but I don't care. I just wanna know if the tv is good or not? :D :D

Racey
03-18-2007, 02:32 PM
If I was getting one for free I wouldn't be on here asking opinion on them. :D Unfortunately we don't steal out of containers like some think. Hell we never know whats inside those dam things.
50 chinese

Jyruiz
03-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Good panel, made by LG, below average electronics. $1200.00 is what they should retail for.

Parker Dreamin
03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
If you were thinking of Sony LCD you should stick with that idea..
I have the Sony SXRD 50" and it is awesome...
Ya, stealing out of a container... too funny bud.

hoolign
03-18-2007, 07:20 PM
This thread is just begging for Bilge to chop you into A mission impossible get up ..breaking into containers... er ..slipping through the cracks :D

Todd969
03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
We almost bought the Visio 42" LCD at Costco today. Good price for a back patio tv.
Shouldn't you buy a house before a BIG tv anyway?:D :) ;)

djunkie
03-18-2007, 10:25 PM
We almost bought the Visio 42" LCD at Costco today. Good price for a back patio tv.
Shouldn't you buy a house before a BIG tv anyway?:D :) ;)
Ya I know. Truth is, my g/f is gonna buy it. So when I finally buy a house its going in it when she moves in. Saved myself $2k+. :devil: :devil:

djunkie
03-18-2007, 10:27 PM
If you were thinking of Sony LCD you should stick with that idea..
I have the Sony SXRD 50" and it is awesome...
Ya, stealing out of a container... too funny bud.
Ya I was actually looking a little smaller. But that is defianetly a nice tv. I went to Costco today and looked at these plasmas and they didn't look bad at all. I think it will be fine for a while.

Jesster
03-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I recently put the 42" Vizio Plasma in my office and it is a nice TV for the money. If you are looking for the best quality this isn’t the TV to buy, I would stick with the Sony. But if your GF is paying for it that’s the same as a free TV so yeah it’s a good one for free. :D I am building a TV cabinet with a TV lift for the bedroom and was thinking of putting the Vizio 42 plasma in it. It all depends on pricing when I am done with the cabinet.

djunkie
03-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I recently put the 42" Vizio Plasma in my office and it is a nice TV for the money. If you are looking for the best quality this isn’t the TV to buy, I would stick with the Sony. But if your GF is paying for it that’s the same as a free TV so yeah it’s a good one for free. :D I am building a TV cabinet with a TV lift for the bedroom and was thinking of putting the Vizio 42 plasma in it. It all depends on pricing when I am done with the cabinet.
I was really set on the Sony until she told me she was getting this for her place. Shes gonna move in with me when I get a house so we'll just use that for a while I guess. Saves me some cash. Plus it can't be as bad as the 20 year old tv I have right now. :D :D

socalmoney
03-19-2007, 04:15 AM
I would buy Samsung over Vizio. You can't beat this deal on a 42" Samy. I would jump on this before they are all gone.
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-hps4273-42-plasma-tv-42-atsc-ntsc-16-9-stereo-sound-hdtv/q/loc/111/203324992.html

Jesster
03-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I would buy Samsung over Vizio. You can't beat this deal on a 42" Samy. I would jump on this before they are all gone.
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-hps4273-42-plasma-tv-42-atsc-ntsc-16-9-stereo-sound-hdtv/q/loc/111/203324992.html
That is a great price and a much better TV, but is only a 42. That is tempting to me though as I dont want a 50 in my bedroom. :D

Kilrtoy
03-19-2007, 08:27 AM
SO what did you get us last night

Cole Trickle
03-19-2007, 08:35 AM
I was really set on the Sony until she told me she was getting this for her place. Shes gonna move in with me when I get a house so we'll just use that for a while I guess. Saves me some cash. Plus it can't be as bad as the 20 year old tv I have right now. :D :D
That TV won't work for crap when you move out at 45 anyways;)::D:devil:

djunkie
03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Too late. She already bought the tv today. No biggy to me. Its her money and she was set on this thing. At least I get to use it. :D :D

djunkie
03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
That TV won't work for crap when you move out at 45 anyways;)::D:devil:
Don't hate ya fag!!!!!:D :D

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 10:03 AM
If it is going to be used for HD, it will look better, if not, then your 20 year old TV will look better. DVD's will also look better in the plasma if hooked up correctly.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 10:07 AM
If it is going to be used for HD, it will look better, if not, then your 20 year old TV will look better. DVD's will also look better in the plasma if hooked up correctly.
Shes got Digital cable so it does have hd channels.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Shes got Digital cable so it does have hd channels.
Not necessarily, the box has to be for HD, then HD has to be added to you cable package and the right connection on the box and TV have to be used. Lots of folks with digital cable boxes that don't do HD out there.

Cole Trickle
03-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Not necessarily, the box has to be for HD, then HD has to be added to you cable package and the right connection on the box and TV have to be used. Lots of folks with digital cable boxes that don't do HD out there.
Give him the break down on cables;)
Add another couple hundred to the deal. She also needs a Home theatre in a box so watching the 50" TV is cool.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Give him the break down on cables;)
Add another couple hundred to the deal. She also needs a Home theatre in a box so watching the 50" TV is cool.
I should talk to his GF, I think she would understand it a lot better.:D

Cole Trickle
03-19-2007, 10:23 AM
LOL...I have her email and cell phone # if you need it;):D:devil:

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Trust me I'm trying. She justed emailed me and said she hasn't ordered it yet so I still have a chance to talk her out of it. I really want the Sony LCD. I may have to go halves with her in order to seal the deal. :mad:

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Trust me I'm trying. She justed emailed me and said she hasn't ordered it yet so I still have a chance to talk her out of it. I really want the Sony LCD. I may have to go halves with her in order to seal the deal. :mad:
I would only go with LCD technology if the set was going to be placed in a bright room, lots of windows and stuff. From what I gathered around here though, nobody is really into good picture quality.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:12 AM
How about this one?
http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001382&pos=1&ViewAll=28&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3316&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&ec=&topnav=

2Driver
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
I am brand loyal to Sony except when I compared the LCD side to side with the Samsung. We got the 46 Samsung LCD for $2700 on sale at Tweeter. Great pic, brighter and about $500+ less. Also, LCD has no screen glare like the Plasma which was really important as the room is pretty bright.
Stuff made for Costco and Walmart is well, stuff made for Costco and Walmart

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
How about this one?
http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001382&pos=1&ViewAll=28&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3316&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&ec=&topnav=
I see a lot of LCD's there, but the one that I would go with would be the Sharp Aquos. Sharp has implemented there LCD technology very well, closes thing to a plasma, and better than some plasmas out there. Even the non Aquos is pretty good.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I am brand loyal to Sony except when I compared the LCD side to side with the Samsung. We got the 46 Samsung LCD for $2700 on sale at Tweeter. Great pic, brighter and about $500+ less. Also, LCD has no screen glare like the Plasma which was really important as the room is pretty bright.
Stuff made for Costco and Walmart is well, stuff made for Costco and Walmart
Not true, it is the same stuff with a different name for price matching purposes. Now, they do take out some features at times, but it is still the same electronics. And some stuff is the previous model with a name for Costco, Sams, Walmart.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I see a lot of LCD's there, but the one that I would go with would be the Sharp Aquos. Sharp has implemented there LCD technology very well, closes thing to a plasma, and better than some plasmas out there. Even the non Aquos is pretty good.
Ya that link sucked. I was trying to show you the 42" Sharp LCD for $1,799

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Not true, it is the same stuff with a different name for price matching purposes. Now, they do take out some features at times, but it is still the same electronics.
Not to mention Costco has the best return policy on electronics that I have ever seen. We had a tv at the river house that we bought there. 2 years later the screen develpoed a green line trhough it. Brought it back to Costco and the exchanged it with NO questions asked. Just told me to pick out another and it was a done deal.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Ya that link sucked. I was trying to show you the 42" Sharp LCD for $1,799
Thats the Aquos, very nice LCD, if I was going to own an LCD, that is what I would go with.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Thats the Aquos, very nice LCD, if I was going to own and LCD, that is what I would go with.
I'm working on her right now. I looked at that tv yesterday in Costco and I thought it looked the best along with the Sony. And its quite a bit cheaper too.

phebus
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Juan, for a tv mounted outside under a covered patio, would an LCD set be the best choice due to ambient light?

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm working on her right now. I looked at that tv yesterday in Costco and I thought it looked the best along with the Sony. And its quite a bit cheaper too.
One thing when comparing TV's at the stores is, they never have all the setting the same, so some look better than others. Once both are properly setup, it is easy to see which one produces a better pic. Some stores will also use different connections to make a certain set more diserable that month, depending on what there inventory is and the bonuses they get from certain manufacturers. Even the worst calibrated set on display will looks 10x's better at home once properly setup.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Juan, for a tv mounted outside under a covered patio, would an LCD set be the best choice due to ambient light?
Yes, but I would not spend a lot of $$$ on one that was going to be outside. If you do get one and need help setting it up out there, LMK, if I am out there I will give you a hand, not that you would need one. An outside TV needs to be claibrated different for its environment.

Havasu1986
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Rick I have a 13" t.v. outside. Don't spend alot of $$. Its hard to see in the daytime even under a covered patio. Its nice at nite though. I keep it covered when not in use.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Rick I have a 13" t.v. outside. Don't spend alot of $$. Its hard to see in the daytime even under a covered patio. Its nice at nite though. I keep it covered when not in use.
Phebus is a baller. He'll just buy a new one every year. :D :D

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
If it is a tube (CRT) TV, then you really only have a mirror during the day. An LCD would be better as it does not have a reflective screen. Unless the sun is directly on the LCD, then there wont be any problems.

Havasu1986
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
If it is a tube (CRT) TV, then you really only have a mirror during the day. An LCD would be better as it does not have a reflective screen. Unless the sun is directly on the LCD, then there wont be any problems.
Its probably a tube. It only cost like $200. I had to replace a speaker because of being outdoors the repair guy told me.

Jesster
03-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Here is a great deal but it is a 42 Samsung HPS4273 42" Plasma HDTV 899.00 at buy.com. Not a 50 but some here may be interested. 10,000:1 contrast.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Here is a great deal but it is a 42 Samsung HPS4273 42" Plasma HDTV 899.00 at buy.com. Not a 50 but some here may be interested. 10,000:1 contrast.
I've finally got her mind going. Now shes looking for deals on the SHarp LCD. I really want an LCD instead of a plasma.

shueman
03-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Lots of good deals out there on LCD's with 720p.....perfect for HD/Digital.. :cool:

whiteworks
03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
vizio, best bang for your buck. bought one 3 months ago. no problems

Nord
03-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I have the Vizio 37. I will be completely honest in telling you that there customer service is good and all, but for a few hundred more, I could have got a better pic. I won't agree with the best bang for your buck in this case. I would say "you get what you pay for" applies here.
That being said, I would definately check the pic quality to the same size from other brands when your at Costco. If the T.V is far from where you are sitting, than go with the Vizio :)
~NORD~

riverracerx
03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone buy this one yet?
http://www.vizio.com/media/products/large/VM60P(2).jpg

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Anyone buy this one yet?
http://www.vizio.com/media/products/large/VM60P(2).jpg
Those are made by Vizio as well, good panel (made by LG) with better electronics than the regular Vizio plasmas. Close to the Samsung, Phillips league, but below the Panny, Pioneer, Fujitsu.

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I have the Vizio 37. I will be completely honest in telling you that there customer service is good and all, but for a few hundred more, I could have got a better pic. I won't agree with the best bang for your buck in this case. I would say "you get what you pay for" applies here.
That being said, I would definately check the pic quality to the same size from other brands when your at Costco. If the T.V is far from where you are sitting, than go with the Vizio :)
~NORD~
Yup, but I would not mind one for the back yard.

Dan Lorenze
03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I have the Vizio 50" plasma in our bedroom and the Sharp Aquos 42" (LCD) in the family room.. I must say for $1200 the Vizio is a great buy, I'm totally happy with it. One thing that the Vizio has over the Sharp is the audio, Sharps speakers (on the 42") blows ass... The Vizio sounds way better and offers a much better sound quality overall... Most people aren't concerned with the audio since most will use surround systems. The Sony's are nice units but IMO not worth the price...