PDA

View Full Version : 79 Sanger Picklefork Fuel Tanks

tittyman
03-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I just picked up a nice original 79 Sanger Picklefork..it's been in storeage for sometime..LS7, tunnel, dual Holly's, 12-1 compression. Everything is original including the interior. Even had the original tires..The pictures are how I found the boat. The gel coat is outstanding...I will post better pictures after it's cleaned up..I purchased it from the original owner..It's been covered up in his garage and not used..the question is there is a lot of crap in the tanks..pumped the gas out of the aluminum tanks..do I have to remove the tanks to get the rest of the crap out or does someone have some tips.

tittyman
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Denis...yes I am..I couldn't get down there to pick up the boat until this weekend..he held it for me..just waited for the weather to clear so I could get it..thanks for the contact..the boat is very clean..just has been sitting for a long time..got to get this crp out of the tanks..any tips other than removing the tanks...Jess

sanger rat
03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
You still got a windshield. I've only seen a couple of them. Don't break it.:)

atxwrangler
03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
there wasn't but about 3 to 4 hundred of those made i was told! very nice!:)

tittyman
03-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Sanger Rat..yes that's the original windshield and the origiinal splash guard..it even has the original carpet which looks like new..not even a scratch on the bottom of the hull..
So can I put some rags and wire together and get the crap out of the bottom of the tanks without removing them and then use a shop vac after the fumes are gone..I really don't want to pull the tanks..someone has to have some little trick from the past!!!

IMPATIENT 1
03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
are they that hard to pull out. i'm with dragboats, if you don't pull em, you'll definately have some fuel system trouble in the future and your gonna hate yourself when it does. most radiator shops can clean alum tanks to near new condition, it may dull the finish, but they'll be out and easy to polish at that point.i bought a boat with clean fuel coming outta the tanks, but i pulled em to be perfectly sure they were clean. nothing worse than a blower motor goin lean from a clogged filter/trashed regualtor etc.

tittyman
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
That's a good tip about taking them to a radiator shop and having them cleaned out..never thought that would have been the place..I'll check with the local guy here in town...the fuel filter looked like it was dry coated with varnish..
What are the chances the carbs need to be rebuilt right away..

sanger rat
03-18-2007, 06:39 PM
The tanks are not hard to get out. Pull the seats out, unhook every thing and slide them out towards the front of the boat. Are you leaving the back seat in?

IMPATIENT 1
03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
That's a good tip about taking them to a radiator shop and having them cleaned out..never thought that would have been the place..I'll check with the local guy here in town...the fuel filter looked like it was dry coated with varnish..
What are the chances the carbs need to be rebuilt right away..
come to think of it, i sent a alum tank that was painted(dirttrack) and when they cleaned it, the paint was still perfect on it. may not dull the alum after all?? be worth asking a pro radiator man. most radiator shops can clean steel tanks too, if they're rusty, they can reline the inside with a special coating,herd it helps when runnin alky.

IMPATIENT 1
03-18-2007, 08:55 PM
btw, sweet aaazzzzz ride! i'm still waiting to find my blown bbf cheyenne tunnel sitting in someone's barn for the past 15yrs.:D

73kona455
03-19-2007, 04:04 AM
i would get a pre oiler and pull the distributor put in the pre oiler and spin the heck out of it and make sure every thing gets oiled up good.. after an oil change of course.. after sitting that long the engine has to be dry..

pro53
03-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Eastwood products sells a gas tank wash.What a great find you have.One day I want one of those.Awesome boats.
http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=KK&srid=S7%2d2&lbc=eastwood&ts=custom&pw=gas%20tank&uid=64123825&&isort=score&w=gas%20tank%20cleaner&rk=1

tittyman
03-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Sanger Rat..yes I'm going to leave the back seat in..the interior is all original with no rips or tears..the wood frames are just like they came new from the factory..I was thinking about putting some kind of access panel above the rear transom. Something chrome or polished. Where we boat there can be a lot of crap in the water..I would like to have easy access to the hand hole cleanout..any suggestions..thanks..

sanger rat
03-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Don't cut a hole in that boat!:jawdrop: I've never had to use the clean out. I could never figure out why they but the back seat in there. Total weight capacity is only 450#.:confused:

460rogers
03-19-2007, 04:45 PM
If you are going to clean the tanks without pulling them use nuts and bolts
not gravel.Nuts and bolts can be fished out with a magnet.
Just pour in some cleaner like carb cleaner or superclean and drive around
with it on the trailer.That should clean the crud off the bottom.
Also a good way to show off your nice ride.
Just my .02

tittyman
03-19-2007, 04:47 PM
You think it will de-value the boat if I put a access panel in? Also the boat boat has a stock grate..any suggestions for future changes. I know your not crazy about the access panel (Sanger Rat) but I do have a lot of crap in the water here at the beginning of the year. Theres always small pieces of bark floating around even in the summer. My other boat has a Berkley "E" pump with the clean out outside..you still against a cool looking access panel or just don't like the idea..

sanger rat
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes you will de-value the boat if you cut a hole in it. But its your boat. For a loader I recommend a open center White lightening loader. http://www.performancejet.com/whitelighteningNEW.htm

tittyman
03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Sanger Rat...you know these Sanger Hydros..probably more than anybody on the boards..I will not cut a hole for access..looked at the grates..can you recommend one from CPPerformance or Hardin-Marine just to compare..going to pull the tanks out tomorrow..

TahitiTiger
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I would pull em and have em steamed. When I bought my Tahiti they guy claimed all 3 tanks never leaked. But I pulled em, and the rad shop did a preliminary fill, no leaks. After a good boil out, my left side saddle tank had a leak! So I had them weld it up.
And I had to literaly cut my tanks out, they were glassed into the hull :(, but well worth the effort.

sanger rat
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I havn't tried a Hardin-Marine loader. The main thing is not to have the loader hanging down below the keel. A loader is not used to scoop up the water it's for directing the water into the pump.

tittyman
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Sanger Rat...thanks for the tip on removing the tanks..did just like you said..remove the interior and slide them forward and they come out...took them to a rad. shop to have them cleaned...used a can of fuel and started the motor..one of the carbs (660 spread bore) just dumps fuel..any special tricks to rebuilding these carbs..never rebuilt a Holly before. Do I need to rebuild the entire carb or just replace the needle and seat..what do you suggest and how difficult is it..thanks again for your help..can't wait to get it in the water..Jess

sanger rat
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Sounds like it could be a needle and seat. But if I remember right that boat sat for a long time. Freshing up the carbs would be a wise thing to do. Run down to Barnes&Nobles and pick up a Holley rebuilding book and you'll be good to go.