PDA

View Full Version : Solar Powered Attic Fans

fasthtm
03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
With hot weather approaching has anybody tried or have any knowledge of solar powered attic fans? I know there is a product called Solar Star, just curious.

bchbum
03-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Been thinking of installing one everyyear , but it's always mid-summer when I think of it . Don't want to be in the atic when it's 120+ in there .

TeamGreene
03-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Whatever you end up going with be sure to have some eve vents so that the fan can work properly.:)

wsuwrhr
03-19-2007, 05:48 AM
My new shop will have two.
Thanks for the post.
I have been toying with the idea, I wasn't sure what was out there.
Brian

YeLLowBoaT
03-19-2007, 05:53 AM
I've installed a several of them. They do work, but as was mentioned before. You must have good airflow coming in.( check your local codes as most have rules about where you can put them and if you need a permit or not)

2Driver
03-19-2007, 07:04 AM
your money. The rate of outflow will never keep up with the amount of heat that the attic generates. It's futile. You need heavy venting in the eves and gable ends to really make any difference or a swamper with upducts.

SummitKarl
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
With hot weather approaching has anybody tried or have any knowledge of solar powered attic fans? I know there is a product called Solar Star, just curious.
I would put your money else where,,, "like venting" this is what I do for my home designs in Havasu, good for those 120 deg days;)
the idea is to balance the flow from the eves to the ridge, eve vents are really the most important part, if you have a tile roof(either flat or "s") and jamica wrap= no eves use O-hagen tile vents as close to the end of the roof as possiable (yes the more vents the better), if you have eves then vent every piece of freeze blocking you see..thats the 2x4 between the trusses, make sure to get extended vents that push up through the insulation in your attic...otherwise your just venting the insulation, also look to see if you have Ridge line venting...if it's a tile roof then you should see a gap between the tiles at the ridge line, but by far the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to just add "turtle vents" about 2' down from the ridge line (on the back side of the house) and spaced about 12' apart, turtle vents are a 1' sq. flat covered vent.....maybe $15 each at home depot
anyways that's my .02

DaddyMack
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I have a buddy that uses a swamp cooler for the attic... it saves him a crap load of money on a/c during the summer... his electric bill is about 25% of what it should be for that time of year and the size of his house...:idea: