PDA

View Full Version : My Sister's House Caught Fire - Twice

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:08 PM
What a Friday night/Saturday Morning:sqeyes: after going to bed around 11 Friday, we get a call at 2:30am thinking it was a crank call, then they call back and it was my sister telling me her house was on fire. We jumped up and ran around the corner seeing the army of fire trucks. She has three girls who live with her, all we could think of was them. Luckily they all got out OK. The fire was in the garage with no other way in except the roll up door, which would not work because the wire burnt from the fire. The cut the new door out and put the fire out. The fire was started from an old extra fridge, burned to a crisp in-side out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P3170552.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P3170557.JPG
I asked if they ever seen that before, which they had not.
Fire department all was good went over the cause, then left.

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:10 PM
We took my sister and her girls to my house, I went to bed around 4:15am. We get a call 15 minutes later it is going again:sqeyes:
we get around the corner in within minutes we had this:sqeyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P3170559.JPG

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Amazing how fast it gets going:sqeyes:
My family is OK, that is the best part;) their house can be replaced

Mrs. casean
03-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow I am soo sorry to hear this happened! But SO Glad to hear all got out safe and are ok! Nice to have family near by to help out when in need! I hope they can get their life back together in a house soon!!!

Jyruiz
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Glad nobody was hurt. So, what started the second fire?

raff
03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Rich, glad every one is ok, like you the house can be replaced but family can't
hope it all works out for you guys.

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Glad nobody was hurt. So, what started the second fire?
From the looks of it the original fire was not 100% out.
The captain told me he they tried to keep water damage to a minimum, which may have been the problem. Fire flamed back up from items in the center of the garage:sqeyes:
They gutted the garage after the second fire and soaked everything, house is wasted:mad:

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:36 PM
My Brother In-Law watching it burn:mad: Good thing they the FD is 3 minutes away
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P3170560.JPG

phebus
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry for your sister. Unfortunately, a rekindle occorred because the fire was never full extinguished. It's a political situation, because in order to determine the fire is out, you have to open up the walls, and cause a lot of damage that is never completely understood by the homeowner. The safe and proper thing to do would have been to forget about the politics, and start pulling drywall. The modern way is to have a thermal imaging camera that you can scan the walls and ceiling with, and find any unseen hot spots.

JetBoatRich
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry for your sister. Unfortunately, a rekindle occorred because the fire was never full extinguished. It's a political situation, because in order to determine the fire is out, you have to open up the walls, and cause a lot of damage that is never completely understood by the homeowner. The safe and proper thing to do would have been to forget about the politics, and start pulling drywall. The modern way is to have a thermal imaging camera that you can scan the walls and ceiling with, and find any unseen hot spots.
They had the camera, looked at the roof and walls:sqeyes: never looked at her center of the garage where she had soccer uniforms, that is where it restarted

phebus
03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Monday morning quarterbacking, but they should have overhauled the entire garage. I've had my share of screw ups, so I feel I can comment, because yes, my shit does stink.
I'm just sorry for the loss of property, but thankfull for no loss of life, or injuries.

Trailer Park Casanova
03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Ahh geeze Rich, so sorry to read this.

SHOTKALLIN
03-18-2007, 10:39 PM
THANK GOD NOBODY WAS HURT! I think i'll go unplug my extra fridge now.

JetBoatRich
03-19-2007, 03:25 AM
THANK GOD NOBODY WAS HURT! I think i'll go unplug my extra fridge now.
I was looking at mine the same way:rolleyes:

Jetaholic
03-19-2007, 03:27 AM
IMHO, the whole "trying to keep water damage to a minimum" sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I would think water damage would be an eazy fix compared to more fire damage from a re-ignition. Getting the fire completely out and extinguishing all hot spots should have been priority one, not "keeping water damage to a minimum". By not fully extinguishing the fire they have also endangered the neighbors and neighboring houses around them and increased the chances of other houses catching fire, rather than just water damaging one of them.
Sorry for their loss. Thankfully there were no fatalities and no one was hurt. Hopefully they are able to pick up the pieces and move on soon.

RitcheyRch
03-19-2007, 04:18 AM
Rich, so sorry to read this. Glad to hear that everyone is safe.

photo chick
03-19-2007, 04:39 AM
Wow my biggest fear is a house fire. So glad everyone is ok. Please let us know if she needs anything to help her get back on her feet!!!

FORMER RAIDERETTE MRS ELIMINATED SPRINTER
03-19-2007, 04:50 AM
:( Rich I'm so sorry to hear this let us know if there is anything we can do tell your sister and brother in-law if they need anything just call just glad everyone is ok

Debbolas
03-19-2007, 05:48 AM
:jawdrop: So sorry to hear this Rich....I'm glad everyone is ok

CBadDad
03-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Oh no...rekindles are a huge mistake. I won't second guess the fire crews, but that is their/our worse nightmare. From the first pic, it looks like they even used foam. They're trying to do what's right, keep damage to a minimum and next thing you know the whole place burns to the ground. Believe me, someone will have some explaining to do. It happens, not very often, but it happens.
Sorry to hear of your sisters loss. Glad no one got hurt or worse.

JetBoatRich
03-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Oh no...rekindles are a huge mistake. I won't second guess the fire crews, but that is their/our worse nightmare. From the first pic, it looks like they even used foam. They're trying to do what's right, keep damage to a minimum and next thing you know the whole place burns to the ground. Believe me, someone will have some explaining to do. It happens, not very often, but it happens.
Sorry to hear of your sisters loss. Glad no one got hurt or worse.
When the Captain came and talked to me and my brother in-law his words were very apologetic and realized a mistake was made:sqeyes:

Mr. C
03-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok.
How old are the girls?
I have a daughter(17) who just put some clothes in bags for goodwill. I don't know if she still has them but if you need me to i will call the wife and find out.
Good Luck
Mike

a catered life
03-19-2007, 06:45 AM
jbr so sorry to hear the sad sad news...i'm glad to hear everyone was safe as the lose of life would not be as easy to get over as a lose of a tv...if there is anything we can do just let me know.....if the need cloths, shoes, or anything let me know we would be happy to take the girls shopping...you have my numbers and please use them i've got the kids this week and they would love to help out with anything:D

a catered life
03-19-2007, 06:48 AM
I was looking at mine the same way:rolleyes:
keep it full of beer :idea: and if it starts a fire maybe the huge amounts of beer will put it out...at least thats my backwards kind of thinking:confused:

little rowe boat
03-19-2007, 06:53 AM
A rekindle is every fire crews worst nightmare. There is nothing worse than getting dispatched back to the same address and then seeing a large header, you get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. A rekindle is a mistake but believe me it's not a careless one. Firefighters never leave the scene of a fire until they BELIEVE the fire has been thoroughly extinguished, unfortunately they/we are not always correct.
I am happy to hear that your family is safe.

Mrs.Racer277
03-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Very sorry to hear about the family lose of their home....Good to hear they are all safe. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know.
Dia

JetBoatRich
03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok.
How old are the girls?
I have a daughter(17) who just put some clothes in bags for goodwill. I don't know if she still has them but if you need me to i will call the wife and find out.
Good Luck
Mike
The girls are 10, 12 and 15. They seem to be OK for now. Their insurance has them at a hotel for now, it will be several months before they are home again:sqeyes:
Thanks everyone for the replies, we will keep you posted

All-Star
03-19-2007, 07:40 AM
I have a daughter that just went through a growing phase. If you need clothes... let me know and I can gather them up for your nieces.

topless
03-19-2007, 07:59 AM
I too have clothes of my daughters if they need them. So sorry to hear this. Let us all know what we can do.

Jetaholic
03-19-2007, 08:10 AM
And in time of need...
Hot Boat comes through once again!!! :)

Dream Chaser
03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear about that glad everyone is ok. I have the day off today think I will replace all the batterys in the smoke alarms.

blackcloud75
03-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Glad everyone is O.K......Sorry for the loss
"Dear Chief................................"

Danhercules
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
IMHO, the whole "trying to keep water damage to a minimum" sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I would think water damage would be an eazy fix compared to more fire damage from a re-ignition. Getting the fire completely out and extinguishing all hot spots should have been priority one, not "keeping water damage to a minimum". By not fully extinguishing the fire they have also endangered the neighbors and neighboring houses around them and increased the chances of other houses catching fire, rather than just water damaging one of them.
My folks house cought on fire with I still lived there. My Dad was doing a plumbing repair. Truned off the torch and saw some flickering. The paper behind the shower caught on fire. The Fire dept got there and put it out. It reached the attic. They said another few min and the who attic would have ingnited.
They did a good job. BUT...................
The job they did, did MORE damage than the fire. I understand it had to be done, but I am just saying the water damage and the venting tore the house up. It was a trip walking though the house after. ALL ROOMS were gutted. Almost every item was in the middle of the room with tarps on em. They were lighting movers. Pictures, furniture, computers, tv's, ect. all in the middle of the room with tarps. None of that got water damage. But the picks to the celing and holes in the roof tore the house up.
I commented to one of the Firemen on what I saw. He told me, Life first, then Property, then the Fire.
The funnest part was my Dad, he was in shock, he looked at the Captian and asked him, "What did you do to my house?" The Cap understood that he was in shock. Heck. my Dad tried to blame me!!!! LOL

JetBoatRich
03-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Sorry to hear about that glad everyone is ok. I have the day off today think I will replace all the batterys in the smoke alarms.
Put one in the garage:rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
03-20-2007, 05:07 AM
I dont have any clothes to donate but is there a way to donate money?

shueman
03-20-2007, 05:29 AM
So sad.... let's us know how we can help...

lawbreaker2
03-20-2007, 06:15 AM
WOW, hope all is ok.:jawdrop:

Jetaholic
03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I dont have any clothes to donate but is there a way to donate money?
Well I suppose with all the water damage this could be a "Sunk the house" thread. :D :D :D
Just kidding. Hope all is well with them and that they are able to recover quickly from this.

Baja Big Dog
03-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Too many firemen on the fourm...no comment!!!!
SO glad all is well!

Desert Rat
03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Rich we're just around the corner, let us know if we can be of help.

little rowe boat
03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Too many firemen on the fourm...no comment!!!!
SO glad all is well!
Read back some have.

JetBoatRich
03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the offers, they are sorting things out still. So far the insurance company has been helpful

RitcheyRch
03-21-2007, 04:10 AM
Thats good to hear. Like said before, let us know if they need anything that the insurance company is not providing.
Thanks for all the offers, they are sorting things out still. So far the insurance company has been helpful

Throttle
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
I have not been on the boards much lately and have missed this... this is a disturbing story... a rekindle, like said previously is a nightmare at best... Sorry to hear about the loss, please let us know if there are any needs that we might be able to help with... glad to hear that everyone was ok...

JetBoatRich
03-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Nice article in the local paper yesterday, my sister's family wanted to thank the two boys walking by and may have saved their lives. Normally we would have thought they were trouble makers at that time of the night, they were heroes this night
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/sister_fire.jpg

CARLSON-JET
03-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I like the parts where John Says "I would like to talk to the boys first, lest their parents didn't know they were out so late". I wonder if their parents read the paper.
The impact of the young mens actions are almost to great to describe.
Rich, I hope your sister and her family are made whole again. That is a terrible thing when ones home is destroyed by fire.

RitcheyRch
03-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Very nice article.