PDA

View Full Version : Pet owners worried about pets' lives after recall

RVRGIRL
03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Pet owners worried about pets' lives after recall
By Angie Holdsworth
ABC15.com
A nationwide recall of cat and dog food has sent a wave of panic among Valley pet owners.
For one Valley dog owner, the recall may have come too late.
Jeff Burnton of Phoenix fed both of his dogs canned food under the label Natural Choice.
Burnton's dogs both stopped eating earlier in the week. While one dog recovered a few days later, the other dog, Nikky, had to be put to sleep after suffering kidney failure.
Nikky's death comes as pet food manufacturer Menu Foods is recalling dozens of brands of wet cat and dog food. Burnton found the food he fed his dogs on the recall list.
Nationwide, there have been 10 deaths tied to the food already.
The food is distributed to various stores and is sold under different labels.
Many veterinarian clinics report they are swamped with calls from concerned people wanting to know what they should do.
Vets recommend if you did give your pet the food, watch for signs of unusual behavior, vomiting, and fatigue. Also, if they appear to be drinking too much, or if they are not drinking or eating at all, take them to a vet as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, Burnton's vet at the Scottsdale Ranch Animal Hospital says tests are being done on Nikky to determine if the dog had any other health problems that may have contributed to her death. Dr. Richard Stolper says it's possible she may have had Valley Fever, but says the prime suspect is the pet food.
For a full list of the pet foods that are being recalled, go to http://www.menufoods.com/recall/.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recalled Dog Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Bruiser
Cadillac
Companion
Demoulas Market Basket
Eukanuba
Food Lion
Giant Companion
Great Choice
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Iams
Laura Lynn
Loving Meals
Meijers Main Choice
Mighty Dog Pouch
Mixables
Nutriplan
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Ultra
Nutro
Ol'Roy Canada
Ol'Roy US
Paws
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Publix
Roche Bros
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Shep Dog
Springsfield Prize
Sprout
Stater Bros
Total Pet
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recalled Cat Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708
Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Best Choice
Companion
Compliments
Demoulas Market Basket
Eukanuba
Fine Feline Cat
Food Lion
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Iams
Laura Lynn
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Meijer's Main Choice
Nutriplan
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Nutro Natural Choice
Paws
Pet Pride
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
Sophistacat
Special Kitty Canada
Special Kitty US
Springfield Prize
Sprout
Total Pet
Wegmans
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie

Trailer Park Casanova
03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
In the past, we've opened cans full of mold.
So:
Switching to Purina seem'd to have eliminated that issue, and Purina is the only petfood they'll eat anyway.
We look for the little red checkerboard on the labeling,,, and seem to have excellent luck.
But their Mighty Dog product is on the voluntary hit list so that throws that idea out the window.

Warlockjer
03-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Kinda scary, Thanks for posting!

maxwedge
03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
That sucks to hear. Hope everybodys pets are ok.
I've been feeding my dog this for the last several months with great results. She seems to like it and and no upset stomach/vomiting, which was a problem in the past with Iams & Nutro.
http://www.naturesrecipe.com/images/logo.gif
http://www.naturesrecipe.com/default.aspx

Danhercules
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Its the wet food for now. Dry is OK. The Mighty Dog in the puches is on the bad list. Stay with the cans. For now, no wet food for my animals. Cat food too!!!

Cole Trickle
03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
We only feed our dog dry Nutro.
Hopefully dry won't show up on the list.:confused:

CBadDad
03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Purina One for both the dog and the cat.
I used to buy the high end stuff (Science Diet & Eukanuba - both on the list) but got tired of having to make a seperate trip to the pet store for food when I was already at the grocery store. Looks like it worked out in my favor. That doesn't happen often.

hava life
03-20-2007, 05:49 AM
We opened Scraps Dog Bakery last May in Lake Havasu for this very reason. There is a lot of food that is not human grade which means they are not regulated on the ingredients that they use in the food. Some of the plants that manufacture dog and cat food use grade B and below which means floor sweepings,animal digest, and by-products that would be thrown away, instead some manufactures put this trash in the so called dog food. There is a lot of good dog food and the best thing to do is read the ingredients on the label. Come by the store if you haven't yet we are next to Shooters and you can walk to the store from the new condos in the channel and bring your pet if you want. This is not spam we care about what people feed their pets.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-20-2007, 06:28 AM
So it turns out my dogs ate the poisoned food. :( I called their Vet immediately and we went thru all the signs and symptons, all of which my dogs have none, thank god! But the vet once again told me not to feed them wet food but one of our dogs is old and only has a couple teeth so she suggested the following recipe for homemade dogfood. Its healthy and good for them.
boiled chicken
brown rice
shredded carrots
peas
So I will now start making my dogs their food. :rolleyes: They are my babies and worth it. :D

hava life
03-20-2007, 06:52 AM
We have been making ours with ground turkey,rice, and peas. Our dog loves it and I have it sometimes as well. The turkey combo has a real good taste to it I just add soy sauce:)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-20-2007, 06:55 AM
We have been making ours with ground turkey,rice, and peas. Our dog loves it and I have it sometimes as well. The turkey combo has a real good taste to it I just add soy sauce:)
Another good recipe! Thanks!
I am happy to know that I am not the only one who cooks for my dogs. ;)

hava life
03-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I started making this mixture over 10yrs. ago for my last dog when he was getting old and not eating. The first time I ate it was when my brotherinlaw was over and I had just made it, mixed it in a dish and he thought it was lunch so he got a plate and had some for lunch. I was having a good laugh because he did not know I made it for my dog, but he went back for more. I had to try it because he was saying how good it tasted, since then I have been having some every time I make it now.

HM
03-20-2007, 07:29 AM
My wife brought up a good point this morning.....What about all the old people that eat cat food?

Baja Big Dog
03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
In a past life I worked for a large Industrial Automation company, I worked with many companies that manufactured food products.
I took two things with me when I left the company:
1---Never eat hot dogs!!!
2---Never feed your dogs, dog food!

Trailer Park Casanova
03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
This food issue must be real.
Lots of sick dogs in our neighborhood.
Was going to take the cat in for shots and they called and re-scheduled,, they're full of sick dogs.

hava life
03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I have always fed my animals dry food and I will mix my home cooked special food in with it. The only time I will put canned food in the with the dry would be if I don't cook the recipe that I have and then I use Canidea or Natural Balance. I have been using Canidea or Natural Balance dry food a year before we opened the pet store and our pets love it. Like I said earlier read the label on the food you use, wet or dry and you will be surprised on what some food has in it. I use to feed my rot what I thought was good name brand food and then we met the founder of Scraps 2 years ago and I was surprised of some of the ingredients in the different name brand food. It's all on the label so take a look at what the ingredients are and if you are not sure you can look it up on line or come by the store. Take the time to research what you feed your pets there is a big differance.

Miss Managed Assets
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I have always fed my animals dry food and I will mix my home cooked special food in with it. The only time I will put canned food in the with the dry would be if I don't cook the recipe that I have and then I use Canidea or Natural Balance. I have been using Canidea or Natural Balance dry food a year before we opened the pet store and our pets love it. Like I said earlier read the label on the food you use, wet or dry and you will be surprised on what some food has in it. I use to feed my rot what I thought was good name brand food and then we met the founder of Scraps 2 years ago and I was surprised of some of the ingredients in the different name brand food. It's all on the label so take a look at what the ingredients are and if you are not sure you can look it up on line or come by the store. Take the time to research what you feed your pets there is a big differance.
Thank god it's only canned. We feed Eagle Pack Holistic dry. Solid Gold, Canidae, Wellness, Natures Variety, natural balance, and innova are the some of the other foods I would feed. And yes read the labels, wheat, corn, by products etc. you need to watch for.

Wet Dream
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Over te last week or so, our female retriever was throwing up after eating. It wasn't every mealtime, but more like every other day. Then this comes out yesterday. We thought this had to be it, but we don't feed her wet food. So, now we're going to have to take her to the vet and run all of the tests. I hope this is something easy.

Troy McClure
03-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Over te last week or so, our female retriever was throwing up after eating. It wasn't every mealtime, but more like every other day. Then this comes out yesterday. We thought this had to be it, but we don't feed her wet food. So, now we're going to have to take her to the vet and run all of the tests. I hope this is something easy.
Funny (sad?) My dog was doing the same thing, but I feed her a little wet with each meal. Purina, not on the list but think I'll omit it from her food till this blows over. I'll be taking her to the vet too. :confused:

hava life
03-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I think you should look at the food you are feeding your dogs. What I have noticed is the dogs that are not eating good or have upset stomachs are doing much better when the owners come into our store and we put them on a good brand of food. I am not a vet or against major brand dog food. Take some time and read the ingredients on the bag of food you are feeding your pet. If you do not know what the ingredient is research it. You will be surprised on what some brands have in it. Your pet relies on you for its food. Take some time and research what you are feeding your pet. We have people call or come in our store wanting a certain type of food but we will not carry it due to what is in the food, some people think we should carry the brand they feed thier pet but we show them the ingredients and explain to them the good and not so good ingredients. There are plenty of good types of food for your pet just take some time and research if you are around come in our store and we can help. Not one of our brands we sell is on the list wet or dry.

Miss Managed Assets
03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.finditinlakehavasu.com/scraps.html:)
I saw it while we were leaving last trip, plan on stopping in next time were up.

Riverless
03-21-2007, 09:49 AM
i feed my dog pet promise, and, no, they are not on the recall list, as is stated on their website. my dog loves this food. i use solid gold for his dry and mix a little pet promise wet in with the dry for breakfast. for dinner he just gets the solid gold dry.
http://www.petpromiseinc.com/
thanks for the dog food recipes too, i'm kind of liking that idea more and more.

hava life
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
There is a good amount of different food that is good for your pet, take your time and read the label. We always care about what we eat and your pet can not pick the food they want to eat. Pet food has been around for a short time compaired to how long pets have been pets, we changed thier food from eating what they were eating to eating what we want them to eat. Like the many people say they are a pack animal and we are the pack leader. They can only look to us to help them.

hava life
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/391933
Here is a helpful source