PDA

View Full Version : boat registration question.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Can you register an out of state boat in Az without a HIN# inspection? BL

phebus
03-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Inspection isn't necessarily needed (I was told it had to do with the HIN #), but the HIN# is definately needed.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-18-2007, 10:44 PM
So I could take any boat registration with a HIN# and registration papers from out of state and register it in AZ with no inspection?

BADBLOWN572
03-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I am not sure of a boat, but I have registered several offroad vehicles as well as trucks in the state of CA that were bought outside CA. Every time I went to the DMV, they said that if it was a title transfer, you would have to have it inspected. I am not 100% positive on a boat.

squirt'nmyload
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
So I could take any boat registration with a HIN# and registration papers from out of state and register it in AZ with no inspection?
i registered my boat from ca to az and i didn't have to have anything inspected......just took in the title to the AZ fish & game office and waaaalaaaa:)

Cole Sanger
03-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Just the boat should be no problem. The trailer is a different story.

Boatcop
03-19-2007, 05:36 AM
If the boat doesn't have a HIN, the Game & Fish Dept. will probably need to look at it. Especially if the model year is 1972 or newer. You'll have to take it to one of the AZGF offices. Kingman, Phoenix or Yuma.
Call 602-942-3000, press "zero", and ask for Watercraft Registration. They'll tell you what you need to do.

Moneypitt
03-19-2007, 06:18 AM
I know of one instance where the AZ F&G actually stamped a HIN# in an undisclosed location before registering a boat. Undisclosed even to the owner. I'm sure Alan can elaberate further on this practice.......Some boats made prior to 72 had plates attached with HIN#s and CG limits for HP and weight capasity, and some of them have been removed for resto and such, and never reattached. ........MP

HocusPocus
03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
getting the boat done is AZ is easy, but you should register the trailer in Ca or expect to eventually get stopped by the CHP.

Biglue
03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Just the boat should be no problem. The trailer is a different story.
Yep. Bought my boat in NV and when I tried to go get it registered, the boat was not a problem. They wanted to see the trailer tho.
getting the boat done is AZ is easy, but you should register the trailer in Ca or expect to eventually get stopped by the CHP.
What is the deal with AZ plates on a trailer in CA? I have heard multiple people say this and it doesn't make sense to me. Is it illegal to tow an AZ registered trailer in CA? I would have figured that you'd be ok as long as your registration was current. :confused:

HocusPocus
03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep. Bought my boat in NV and when I tried to go get it registered, the boat was not a problem. They wanted to see the trailer tho.
What is the deal with AZ plates on a trailer in CA? I have heard multiple people say this and it doesn't make sense to me. Is it illegal to tow an AZ registered trailer in CA? I would have figured that you'd be ok as long as your registration was current. :confused:
Ca wants their money.. a truck with Ca plates pulling an Az trailer is just looking to get pulled over, over the years i have been stopped twice and was told it was ok to have the boat in Az but the trailer had to be registered in Ca, if your a Ca resident. i also had a mini van i left at the havi house registered in Az and decided to bring it into Ca for some repairs. it was at my house less then one week when i got a letter from the CHP telling me i had 15 days to register it in Ca of face fines and possible jail time. i know im not the only one who has had this situation.

Biglue
03-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Ca wants their money.. a truck with Ca plates pulling an Az trailer is just looking to get pulled over, over the years i have been stopped twice and was told it was ok to have the boat in Az but the trailer had to be registered in Ca, if your a Ca resident. i also had a mini van i left at the havi house registered in Az and decided to bring it into Ca for some repairs. it was at my house less then one week when i got a letter from the CHP telling me i had 15 days to register it in Ca of face fines and possible jail time. i know im not the only one who has had this situation.
I could see how some may try to avoid fees if possible. But a week and they were already on your case. Kinda lame IMO.

acatitude
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
must have a lot of bored LEO around you for that to happen so fast/////

HocusPocus
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
must have a lot of bored LEO around you for that to happen so fast/////
the crazy part is i never even got stopped.. just got a letter in the mail. was told by the CHP that most are turned in my neighbors or relatives but mine was reported by the local school police. i dropped my kids off in the van once as i was on my way to take it in for service.
i do live in a small town so out of state plates do tend to stand out. :confused: