PDA

View Full Version : Boatgonewild throws driver in rough water

boatgonewild
03-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Thats right making hot lap turning left, hit some chop I didnt even see.
Boat gets scurly, pitched me maybe 10 12 ft in air and out about 20 ft.
As am in the air Im thinking about my sons, and this isnt my time, I hit the water in a dive, and went deep , so if the boat was coming apart,or rolling I didnt want it to hit me.
Time for me to slow my rolllll........:sqeyes:

Moneypitt
03-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Thats right making hot lap turning left, hit some chop I didnt even see.
Boat gets scurly, pitched me maybe 10 12 ft in air and out about 20 ft.
As am in the air Im thinking about my sons, and this isnt my time, I hit the water in a dive, and went deep , so if the boat was coming apart,or rolling I didnt want it to hit me.
Time for me to slow my rolllll........:sqeyes:
Deep with a lifejacket on??? No? What if you were knocked out?
And of course you were clipped to the KILL switch so the boat stopped, right?

vishus
03-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Damn dude,
you O.K.? don't like hearing about someone getting wet! Remember, you can always get a new boat, a new you doesn't happen...
what lake? roller from a tuna boat?
later,
sid

purrfecttremor
03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Please post pics of your boat so we can stay the hell away from you....LOL

460 jus getn it
03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
The hell you doing that you got pitched. I have been in some shit there, but nothing that has made it to where i almost got pitched.

dmontzsta
03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
The hell you doing that you got pitched. I have been in some shit there, but nothing that has made it to where i almost got pitched.
Its hard to pitch you! :) I dont think Tony could do it in the K boat.

lucky
03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
gain wait light ass :)

460 jus getn it
03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Its hard to pitch you! :) I dont think Tony could do it in the K boat.
Lmao, you never know. That thing pitched tony like a rag doll.....LMAO

460 jus getn it
03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
gain wait light ass :)
Huh.....:D :D :D :D :D

boatgonewild
03-19-2007, 11:11 AM
The more I think about this, the more i understand the safty that I should have been taking. Mike posted last week about putting a kill switch in. I should have put one in, be wearing my jacket. I just thank god I was by myself. I think about the countless rides I have giving, all wanting to go fast.
But to explain more on what happened, just a strong turn left, powering out of it , hit rollers, boat caught air, and planted sideways..... see ya
Everything happens for a reason, teaching me Im not bulletproofand that its so easy to lose site of SAFTY

squirt'nmyload
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
dude....glad your ok.....i know it can get nasty out at saguaro when everyone is out there

Goad
03-19-2007, 12:44 PM
now that we know youre ok......hows the boat? did it roll? or just pitch you and keep upright?
theres 2 things in life i am deathly scared of......being pitched from a boat or being in a rollover accident in a car and landing/stopping upside down. (dont ask)
thank god I have yet to experience either.

QuickJet
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
When "going deep" you could end up hitting rocks and shitt on the bottom of the lake. Easy way to end up in a chair.

Muldoon
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
It is scary as hell being high in the air and inverted frantically trying to spin around to see the boat you love. praying it is in one piece and that it is not going to do anyone harm.
Sobering experiance. So many rides given. So many chances taken. It could have been worse.
Glad to hear you are ok

68_ROGERS
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Glad your okay man

cave
03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Glad your OK bro! We all learn from our mistakes. Lucky for you you were solo. You can ask Mike & Ty about me. I always wear my life jacket and I'm the slowest boat out there. All it takes is 1 bad roller or drunk boater to ruin your day.
From time to time I go out there I ask myself who will take care of my family if I were to be paralized or killed. Insurance is not always insurance. Saguaro & Bartlett have a few spots where the wave action from the both shores force the wakes back into each other. If your on the crest and dont know it till its too late your phucked.
Glad your safe.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
One thing to know is DO NOT TURN AT HIGH SPEEDS!!!!!! Unless you have a ss boat and they are prone to flipping. I stuffed 3 feet of the nose of my Kachina last year. I had the diverter on full tilt and caught a few rollers. When the hull came back down, it caught the outer strake and stuffed the nose violently! After that I pay very close attention! I also wear polarized sunglasses. THis will allow you to read the water. Have fun but please be safe. We need everyone of the eastside crew to hang out together NOT visiting peeps in the hospital;)
_SPITTER

AzMandella
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
So did you learn your lesson.I Hope the rest of you are paying attention.What the hell is the use of a life jacket?What do you all think"Hell I can just grab it and throw it on while I'm flying through the air" yeah right.Also if you were wearing a good pair of polarized sunglasses instead of a pair of 10$ 7-11 or Cirkle K cheepies you probably would of seen the roller.I have a pair of Prscription Ray Bans and can see every little ripple perfectly.I don't mean to sound harsh but I've been around V-drives and jets all of my life and have seen people killed in stupid situations.And the #1 stupid thing you can do is to not wear a lifevest.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
<------ will be wearing his when hauling azz;) If Im only going 25 or so then I will work on my tan:D

boatgonewild
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Your right, Ive seen the things AZ is talking about with my dad growing up. Its a scarey feeling swimming to the surface, trying to find the boat. A guy can really think about alot a shit in those 10 sec, Didnt have any shades on , windy eyes
As we live and learn.........

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
What part of the lake did it happen?
I can almost bet that it was the first left, or second left, or the first right near lighthouse rock :idea:

boatgonewild
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
right after the light house where the caynons narrow on your way back to marina, what was even worse was I lost my reg glasses and couldnt see shiiiiit driving home. So I cant say I saw the looks on those 3 guys faces, but I could hear em...

squirt'nmyload
03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
right after the light house where the caynons narrow on your way back to marina, what was even worse was I lost my reg glasses and couldnt see shiiiiit driving home. So I cant say I saw the looks on those 3 guys faces, but I could hear em...
ahh man, that area gets horrible:sqeyes:.....i had the boat aired out of the water there once...hit a roller just right and took flight....scared the shit out of me and i stopped..... there was a pontoon boat full of people that were floating nearby and they were cheering at us when we stopped

AzMandella
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
<------ will be wearing his when hauling azz;) If Im only going 25 or so then I will work on my tan:D
Yeah and while your working on your tan and some guy comes up jazzin it,what are you going to do.Yell out,"Hey wait till I put my vest on".Yeah right!Youl nail it.Keep your vest on at all times.You can work on your tan on the beach white boy.:D

Moneypitt
03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
What 3 guys??? I don't remember reading about 3 guys?...........MP

boatgonewild
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
When I got back into the seat trying to act like nothing much really happened, 3guys in a metalbar boat slowed down and started saying how they never saw anything like that.... I just wanted out of there....

76 Bonneville
03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
When I got back into the seat trying to act like nothing much really happened, 3guys in a metalbar boat slowed down and started saying how they never saw anything like that.... I just wanted out of there....
This is a great reminder for all of us. I'm going to have my 16 year old son read this. He hasn't had any of those (on the edge) boating experiences yet. Were going to build our Rogers as our family hotrod and I've seen my uncles Rogers 4' in the air and hitting the water backwards at about 50 twice. Ive spun my Advantage out twice before taking back and having a fin dropped in. It's kind unusual to look down your deck and see your wake at the same time,while waiting for your pump to drop back into the water. But thats nothing as violent as what you went thru. You are a lucky man, all we can do learn from our mistakes and make sure nobody gets caught up in our shet. Respect The Water every pass is different.

minnesota_duane
03-20-2007, 03:11 AM
As long as we are admitting stupid mistakes. Last summer I took the kids to the lake. They wanted to swim so I took my 20' Hawaiian out alone and was dickin' around had the nozzle full up blowing a rooster. Was going pretty fast (55-60) when I came to a wake from another boat. I brilliantly decide to make a hard right to avoid it, that's when I learned it doesn't turn so well with the nozzle up. I hit the wake sideways the boat comes out of the water and I am looking just about straight down at the lake out of the left side. And thinking ahhhhhhhhhhh f--- I'm going over, no life jacket on, hope I don't hit my head! I got lucky and all I got was sore ribs and really wet inside the boat. Moral of the story? Don't be an idiot, it could kill you.

Xlration Marine
03-20-2007, 03:55 AM
HHmm this reminds me of one trip to Bartlett. My wife was if the front of the boat. This was the first one that I built, running a 235 rude. Well we were clipping along at 65 or better. Going past the rocks in the back, were the (no jet ski) sign was at. The boat was trimmed out and ridding high in the nose, yes with the wife in it. We made the turn heading up the river. All of a sudden there it was, and nice 4' roller. I didn't even see a boat around, well other than the one off to the side fishing. We hit that bad boy doing 65. I was looking at the lady in the fishing boat, she was looking at us. Her mouth was so far open a large mouth bass would have looked like a minnow. Any way, my wife was a good 8' in the air, me about 6'. We landed with style and I never backed out of it, boy was she pissed. After that she sat on shore until it was out of my system. We did run into some zero gravity on the last outing, that old girl knows how to hold on.:D :D

cave
03-20-2007, 04:23 AM
That streatch is where it gets real rough. The water there bounces off the edges back into each other. I've seen them meet and crest 3ft. You need to read the water there and keep your head on a swivel. Wake boats and sea flees love that narrow. I slow down when I go through that narrow.

Shark Attack 065
03-20-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm glad your OK and no one was hurt ! I have come on here and said it before and will say it again .... DRESS FOR THE CRASH NOT THE RIDE, something you CAN live by also get a kill switch in there !

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-20-2007, 06:16 AM
Yeah and while your working on your tan and some guy comes up jazzin it,what are you going to do.Yell out,"Hey wait till I put my vest on".Yeah right!Youl nail it.Keep your vest on at all times.You can work on your tan on the beach white boy.:D
Nawww........
I have a different boat now and need to respect it. No vest=No fast driving;) I can always put the vest on and catch their azz :D

boatgonewild
03-20-2007, 06:16 AM
I was a kid about 15, and my dad let me take the boat out at will, he told first hand experience is how to learn. Its part of respecting the water.
Anyways just bought a tri haul kinda like when the first cobalts came out, Right by shore, getting ready to pull my little brother , I thought I Had the motor trimed down into the water, No it was trimmed completely up, I hit the trottle the front of the boat did a straight up wheely, My friend was riding in the front walk through bow, he rolled straight back over the windsheild I grabbed him with one arm, and with the other pulled the trottle back, the boat just did a big wash out. I didnt even ask mike if he was ok, my first look was to my dad, he shogk his head a little and gave me thumbs up. Then he told me a story of pulling his buddy waterskiing lake ming early 60s and he fell, and a drunk boater ran over his friend, He jumped in to get him prop split his head wide over, He had to pull his dead friend from the water... This story was hard to tell, really hard.:( :(

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Now how did Iknow that:D
I know that lake like the back of my own hand. THem damn rollbar boat fukk it up all the time. Driving around wit 500 gallons of water all the time :mad:

jetboatperformance
03-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Glad your OK & the boat still works !! Wear a vest ,get a kill switch and wear some good goggles or sunglasses,Its not always a given that you can swim after getting dumped and a bug in the eye is a bitch ! Tom
BTW The Sweetie in your avatar will have to wear one of those "old school" life belts ! a vest just wont work there:jawdrop:

Goad
03-20-2007, 10:01 AM
now that we know youre ok......hows the boat? did it roll? or just pitch you and keep upright?
so....hows the boat?

boatgonewild
03-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Just like me not a scratch on it, just fine, but bounced the 12 sub loose....

Moneypitt
03-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Just like me not a scratch on it, just fine, but bounced the 12 sub loose....
A million dollar, gazillion watt stereo system, and no $15. kill switch!!!

boatgonewild
03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Lets here from you moneypit flawless boating record, never made a mistake, at least I owned up to it . Knowing the shit I m taking over this... I didnt know God could tpye....

Moneypitt
03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Lets here from you moneypit flawless boating record, never made a mistake, at least I owned up to it . Knowing the shit I m taking over this... I didnt know God could tpye....
I've never been tossed out, came close a few times. I did have on a jacket, I did have a kill switch, and I was listening to the engine stereo........You had choices, just like everyone else. Owning up to it doesn't change anything, well except maybe your future choices.........If I'm hard on you it's because you're still here to hear it, AND THATS A GOOD THING!!!!!!! I've lost a few friends in boating accidents, even though they had on all the safety stuff required by APBA and even more. Just don't want your experience to go by without a few of your choices changing. Safety rules are there to live by, even when you make your own........MP

Red Lickin
03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Squirt how did the beast run last weekend?

squirt'nmyload
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Squirt how did the beast run last weekend?
burned 45 gallons of gas with no major issues :)......very little steam coming out of the drivers side header......2 cylinders are are running REAL hot....the only 2 pipes that are all blue...water lines are not clogged.......i think i have a problem:D

DeltaSigBoater
03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
When I worked at Mission Bay Aquatic Center I was taking a morning lap in one of the 17' Whalers we used to tow kids (I was the only one in the boat).
Coming back around to the Take Off/Landing Beach area in Sail Bay I hit a wake from another boat while turning. Boat got about 2-3 feet of air on about a 45* angle. Came down hard and threw me out of the chair to the other side of the boat while it went into a 180. All this happened in a less than 3 seconds.

Red Lickin
03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
burned 45 gallons of gas with no major issues :)......very little steam coming out of the drivers side header......2 cylinders are are running REAL hot....the only 2 pipes that are all blue...water lines are not clogged.......i think i have a problem:D
have you taken the plugs out yet and seen what they look like? are they front two or back two?

squirt'nmyload
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
have you taken the plugs out yet and seen what they look like? are they front two or back two?
i havn't yet...........the front two...one of which you took out at pleasant

Red Lickin
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
i havn't yet...........the front two...one of which you took out at pleasant
Pull out the front plugs on both sides #1 and #5 and see if they are different to one another

squirt'nmyload
03-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Pull out the front plugs on both sides #1 and #5 and see if they are different to one another
ok......give me a sec :)

67weimann
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
So is this considered a thread hijack???:D

Red Lickin
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
So is this considered a thread hijack???:D
no i don't think so

squirt'nmyload
03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
doesn't look good...i sent you a p.m.

67weimann
03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
no i don't think so
lol...how's it going Frank?

BrendellaJet
03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
We all need to remember this can happen at any speed, well just about.
Out on elsinore a few years ago a buddy of mine and I were coming to a slow after a high speed pass, I turned slowly and drove in a loop, as I completed the loop I began accelerating(still at a slow speed tho)I was in a funny situation where I ended up parallel with the rollers created by this maneuver and the boat swapped ends in nothing flat. Scared the bajeezus out of me.

AzMandella
03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I think what Moneypit is saying is you need to set your priorities straight.You spent a lot of time putting a stereo in and making it look nice but not one thought about safety.Which should have been the first priority.

Bigern
03-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Well at least your ok. I think everyone needs a little reminder once in a while that safety comes first, we have all had to learn to control vessels on the water, but some times there are things you can't control.

boatgonewild
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I knew this would raise alot of issues, I know I`ll here more , but If it helps saving someone this year,or just makes you think alittle more its worth it to me Moneypit and AZ Mandella you boys are the old school of wisdom.. to dispute you would be a insult...