kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to
become a teacher?"
He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those
who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be
honest. What do you make?"
Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, “You want
to know what I make?”
(She paused for a second, and then began...)
Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a
C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40
minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without
an I-Pod, Game Cube or movie rental... You want to know what I make.
(She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)
I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make
them apologize and mean it. I make them have respect and take
responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write. I make them read, read,
read. I make them show all their work in math.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know
in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe. I make my
students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live
in the United States of America.
Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given,
work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.
(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)
Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up
high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know
what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?
THERE IS MUCH TRUTH IN THIS STATEMENT:
"Teachers make every other profession"

LAND_LOVER69
03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh so true! The only thing teachers don't make is enough money!:)

Jesster
03-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I agree, my wife is a teacher. I just wish all teachers were like her. There are far to many that hide behind their union and do only what is necessary to get by. There are many of them that should be fired (which is almost impossible)so somebody that cares about the kids and can make a difference can take their place. I wont go into a rant and will leave it at that.
I respect the ones that go above and beyond knowing they wont get paid any extra for the effort, but do it because of the kids, and for the love of teaching. :)

little rowe boat
03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I have seen that many times. That is great, teachers are truly undervalued. They should be some of the highest paid workers in our society because they are intrusted with what most of us value the most our children.

lalhc
03-19-2007, 09:16 AM
My wife is a teacher and she works her ass off. She is way underpaid for what she does. It amazes me that a customer service rep w/no degree (for some jobs) makes about the same amount of money my wife does w/an undergraduate and Masters degree. It is even scarier in Havasu where the Librarians make more money than the teachers.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I have a copy of it hanging in my classroom. Thanks for posting it. It's one of my favorites.

RitcheyRch
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Nice to see everyone enjoyed it.

HM
03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I think it is bullshit. Teachers are overpaid.
I'd thought I'd just mix it up a little since everyone is holding hands and singing We Are The World. :D

silver surfer
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
You are right. We are overpaid....We only have to do these things...In a forty five minute period...with thirty five to thirty eight students...
Have expert knowledge of their subject area
Work in an inclusionary, non-tracked environment
Teach outside of traditional subject and grade level confines
Demonstrate a commitment to differentiating instruction and a willingness to adapt teaching to recognize alternative learning styles
Use cooperative group work and constructivist learning as primary instructional approaches
Assess student effort and learning through authentic assessment and portfolios as well as standardized tests
Collaborate in interdisciplinary planning and team teaching
Serve as a student advisor to a multi-grade, small student advisory group Attend professional meetings to support this work
Work closely with families to support the academic, social and emotional growth of students
Participate in regular professional development, reflective practice, peer coaching, and professional associations
Collaborate with faculty on curriculum development and instructional practice
Use technology inside and outside of the classroom
Consel students
Keep and maintain classroom discipline
Report suspected abuse
Constantly communicate with parents
Grade 180 parents a night..oh yeah we should do that during the normal day
Plan interesting lessons
An I think a few more things but I can't remember..oh yeah..we get paid ten months out of the year and spend the summer planning for the next year
Work the after school clubs
Spend 300-500 of our own money for classroom supplies
BUT....we do have the summers off!

HM
03-19-2007, 04:45 PM
You are right. We are overpaid....We only have to do these things...In a forty five minute period...with thirty five to thirty eight students...
Have expert knowledge of their subject area
Work in an inclusionary, non-tracked environment
Teach outside of traditional subject and grade level confines
Demonstrate a commitment to differentiating instruction and a willingness to adapt teaching to recognize alternative learning styles
Use cooperative group work and constructivist learning as primary instructional approaches
Assess student effort and learning through authentic assessment and portfolios as well as standardized tests
Collaborate in interdisciplinary planning and team teaching
Serve as a student advisor to a multi-grade, small student advisory group Attend professional meetings to support this work
Work closely with families to support the academic, social and emotional growth of students
Participate in regular professional development, reflective practice, peer coaching, and professional associations
Collaborate with faculty on curriculum development and instructional practice
Use technology inside and outside of the classroom
Consel students
Keep and maintain classroom discipline
Report suspected abuse
Constantly communicate with parents
Grade 180 parents a night..oh yeah we should do that during the normal day
Plan interesting lessons
An I think a few more things but I can't remember..oh yeah..we get paid ten months out of the year and spend the summer planning for the next year
Work the after school clubs
Spend 300-500 of our own money for classroom supplies
BUT....we do have the summers off!
Obviously they took away your sense of humor when you got credentialed because I was having fun.

Jordy
03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Am I the only one laughing about a typo in the title??? Apparently there's a spelling teacher that didn't make a difference. :D :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree, my wife is a teacher. I just wish all teachers were like her. There are far to many that hide behind their union and do only what is necessary to get by. There are many of them that should be fired (which is almost impossible)so somebody that cares about the kids and can make a difference can take their place. I wont go into a rant and will leave it at that.
I respect the ones that go above and beyond knowing they wont get paid any extra for the effort, but do it because of the kids, and for the love of teaching. :)
I agree with that 100%. There are 2 kinds of teachers, ones that do the job becuase they love it, and those that should not be there.

silver surfer
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
You can only survive with a sense of humor. That is why I said we get the summer off! I know you were just kidding, and if I took everything so literally I would have been in an institution for the mentally insane after my first year of teaching. It is just a surprise to some how much an effective and dedicated teacher really does in the course of a school day.

HM
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
You can only survive with a sense of humor. That is why I said we get the summer off! I know you were just kidding, and if I took everything so literally I would have been in an institution for the mentally insane after my first year of teaching. It is just a surprise to some how much an effective and dedicated teacher really does in the course of a school day.
I am glad that you did not take that seriously. A good rule to know about me is that I make up half the shit I say and the other half is not true. :D

THE Brutha's Wife
03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I have it posted in my classroom too:)

Debbolas
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
I have to print that out for my room :D

Sportin' Wood
03-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Am I the only one laughing about a typo in the title??? Apparently there's a spelling teacher that didn't make a difference. :D :D :D
I must have had the same one.:D