PDA

View Full Version : Any NHRA insiders or JFR employess with info on Medlen's condition

EXTRMBT
03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Medlen involved in Gainesville testing accident
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/19/2007
Eric Medlen
Funny Car racer Eric Medlen was injured Monday when his Funny Car crashed during a testing accident at Gainesville Raceway. Medlen suffered undetermined injuries when his entry crashed heavily into the rightside guardwall. He was transported via ShandsCair helicopter to Shands at the University of Florida medical center.
The six-time NHRA tour winner, who participated in Sunday's 38th annual ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals, was being treated in the surgical intensive care unit at Shands. He was listed in critical condition while being further evaluated by medical personnel.
Medical staff will provide a condition update at midday on Tuesday according to John Force Racing sources who emphasized that, at the present time, Medlen is not permitted to have visitors, phone calls, cards or flowers.
“Eric's extended family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers,” said Kelly Antonelli, spokesperson for JFR. “At the same time, we would ask that you respect the family's privacy at this time and allow the medical staff to do its work.”
A former crewman on boss and teammate John Force's championship-winning Funny Cars, Medlen began his own driving career in 2004, winning a race his first year. He won three more times in 2005 and two times last season in a Funny Car prepared by his father, John Medlen.

Baja Big Dog
03-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Man that sucks!

Bense468
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
No bueno...I was just read up on that on Nhra.com

abraman1326
03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Damn, what looked like a good start to the weekend for JFR has turned tragic. Didn't 2 of his team cars hit the wall yesterday as well? I know Ashley did. I hope all is ok, and when anyone know's anything they will post it up. This is tragic!!!
BRA

Havasu1986
03-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Is this guy John Forces son in law or am I thinking of someone else.

brad22
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
From the pics it looks like that was a pretty violent crash. My thoughts are with him and his family including the Force racing team. Hope to see him next race. :(

Bense468
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Is this guy John Forces son in law or am I thinking of someone else.
No you are thinking of Robert Height. This is Eric Medlen (been driving for force for a few years. took Tony Pedregon's spot.

RitcheyRch
03-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Doesnt look good. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

boatnam2
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
man dont look to good,never a good sign when they dont tell you how there doing.

Taylorman
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Where did you see pictures of the crash. I sure hope he is ok. I looked around the net and could not find anything.
No you are thinking of Robert Height. This is Eric Medlen (been driving for force for a few years. took Tony Pedregon's spot.
Who is Robert married to? Does John have another daughter?

blown dough
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I will see if I can find out, my neighbor is a crew cheif for one of the NHRA drivers.

boatnam2
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
what happened to the pics?

Taylorman
03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I will see if I can find out, my neighbor is a crew cheif for one of the NHRA drivers.
Who is your neighbor?

98 Vector 21
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
No good for sure!

Havasu_Dreamin
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Who is Robert married to? Does John have another daughter?
Yes, an older daughter, older than Ashley that is, that is not featured on the TV show.....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Eric's vitals are good. The doctors had to put him in a coma to reduce brain swelling. They literally drilled a hole in his skull. He was in surgery 7 hours.
Thats all I have.

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Eric's vitals are good. The doctors had to put him in a coma to reduce brain swelling. They literally drilled a hole in his skull. He was in surgery 7 hours.
Thats all I have.
thanks for the news

Washed Ashore
03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
I live in Oakdale,where Eric is from,lots of rumors,none good:( I hope the best for Eric and the Medlen family
Jeff

boater72
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
what happened to the pics?
I deleted the pic's as this is a lot worse than what we thought. Eric is fighting for his life right now...

TAF
03-20-2007, 05:38 AM
I deleted the pic's as this is a lot worse than what we thought. Eric is fighting for his life right now...
I think we all realize that it was the right thing to do by taking the pics down in respect for the families and friends. I hope and pray for things to improve for him.:(

Taylorman
03-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Anyone here anything?

MKEELINE
03-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I believe there is supposed to be an update on his condition around noon on www.NHRA.com. During Sundays eliminations the funny cars seemed to be having alot of trouble with the track, 3 different cars hit the wall.

boater72
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
3-20 - 12:09 PM - Funny Car driver Eric Medlen, injured in a testing accident Monday at Gainesville Raceway, remained in critical condition Tuesday in intensive care at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.
According to MedlenÂ’s father, John, doctors are continuing to work to reduce pressure and swelling from what has been characterized as a severe closed head injury suffered when the 33-year-oldÂ’s car crashed heavily into the guardwall.
“We would ask everyone to keep Eric and his family in their prayers while at the same time respecting their need for privacy in this very difficult time,” said Kelly Antonelli, a spokesperson for John Force Racing, Inc.
“Obviously, our primary concern is for Eric’s health,” Antonelli said, “but we also are aware of erroneous information that has been posted on various internet sites and, unfortunately, that has been a source of additional pain for the family.
“To address that issue, we will continue to provide daily medical updates authorized by the family and the medical staff here at Shands

Baja Big Dog
03-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Good call!!!!!

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
i guess i dont get it may sound insensitive but if my kid was in the hospital fighting for his life,i could give a shit less what a guy on ***boat thinks or has to say or any internet rumors.

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
it was a picture of a crashed car. you can watch wrecks of nhra dragsters and funny cars that look a 1000 times worse and had to be fatal but guys didnt even get hurt so why would anybody speculate from a picture of a car a person condition.

KLEPTOW
03-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Show some respect for hell sakes
So when they show the footage of Darle Gwinn's crash, we should all look away.
Wake up.

MKEELINE
03-20-2007, 10:41 AM
it was a picture of a crashed car. you can watch wrecks of nhra dragsters and funny cars that look a 1000 times worse and had to be fatal but guys didnt even get hurt so why would anybody speculate from a picture of a car a person condition.
Probably because it's being reported, by the team spokeperson, that he is in critical condition with swelling of the brain. I don't believe anyone is speculating on his condition.

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
come on he is in the hospital probaly dying and his spokesman is worried about what being said on the internet.im as compasionate as anyone and force is my favorite team so i not a hater just can see why seeing a pic of a drag racing accident the car not the person has to do with showing respect for the family.

KLEPTOW
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
If the NHRA has any footage of the crash they will show it, as the have with every other crash that has been flimed.

KLEPTOW
03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm guessing you mean Darrell Gwynn?
As I said earlier, show some respect for hell sake
Ok, respect for who?

Taylorman
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
If the NHRA has any footage of the crash they will show it, as the have with every other crash that has been flimed.
I doubt it. I have never seen footage of Darrell Russels crash. I don't think it was released.

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I doubt it. I have never seen footage of Darrell Russels crash. I don't think it was released.
i seen it while it happened on tv,and later on video.very sad!

Moneypitt
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
NHRA won't have any footage as this was a test session while the Force team had the track and safety crews rented for the day. (may be more than one team, however). None of the sanctioning bodies of motorsports knowingly replay accidents where the driver has died. When Dale hit the wall there were several replays shown as the race was winding down. But as soon as the severity of the crash was evident, the replays stopped. The Gwynn crash took place in England if I recall, so the USA's motorsports standards did not apply. However Darrell survived. Agreed, there have been some horrendous crashes where the driver walked away shown over and over, as well as some very poor taste replays of drivers that didn't. I sincerly hope we all see this crash after Eric is out of danger, and once again praise the "cage" and the construction of these grounded missles. Safety has come along way, but speed and impacts are still a force to be reconded with. Right now Eric's fight is first and foremost, nuff said............MP

Cruzzze
03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Our prayers go out to Eric for a FULL recovery.....bad day in Gainesville.....as like alot of you, I've been drag racing for way to manys years and have seen too many deaths in drag racing, this won't be another one, I'm trying to be very positive here. Eric is one of those likable guys who has worked his way up and deserves the ride he's got.
Unfortunately, I was in Indy when Blaine wrecked, in Salt Lake when Susie wrecked, in Bakersfield when Jeff Krug died, and in Tucson when Don Rhyne parrished. Lets just pray that God touches those helping him and they pull him thru this. God bless him. Brew

dmontzsta
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Thats all I have.
Thanks for the info, looks like you definitely have an inside.

KLEPTOW
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
My prayers go out to the Medlen family.
Fighting on the internet is like the special olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
We all need to say a prayer for Eric Medlin. My source told me a few minutes ago and I quote "he's very very critical and although everyone is hopefull, his head trauma was very severe".
I was told he hit the left wall then went head on into the right wall. :clover:

ToMorrow44
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to Eric and the whole JFR Team.
come on he is in the hospital probaly dying and his spokesman is worried about what being said on the internet.im as compasionate as anyone and force is my favorite team so i not a hater just can see why seeing a pic of a drag racing accident the car not the person has to do with showing respect for the family.
Are you serious? Have some respect man. This goes to all of you who think seeing the pictures is so important. You say you're a fan of JFR so I would think you would have more respect than that. None of you guys know me but when I post here I never include anything personal about anyone in order to avoid conflict, but this was a little over the line. By the way, learn how to type and use spellcheck.
-Tom

WILDERTHANU
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
We all need to say a prayer for Eric Medlin. My source told me a few minutes ago and I quote "he's very very critical and although everyone is hopefull, his head trauma was very severe".
Thank you for the info Jerry. This is horrible news.

Taylorman
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Our prayers go out to Eric for a FULL recovery.....bad day in Gainesville.....as like alot of you, I've been drag racing for way to manys years and have seen too many deaths in drag racing, this won't be another one, I'm trying to be very positive here. Eric is one of those likable guys who has worked his way up and deserves the ride he's got.
Unfortunately, I was in Indy when Blaine wrecked, in Salt Lake when Susie wrecked, in Bakersfield when Jeff Krug died, and in Tucson when Don Rhyne parrished. Lets just pray that God touches those helping him and they pull him thru this. God bless him. Brew
What class do you race, sounds like you've been racing a while.
Thanks for the info. My prayers go out to him.

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Are you serious? Have some respect man. This goes to all of you who think seeing the pictures is so important. You say you're a fan of JFR so I would think you would have more respect than that. None of you guys know me but when I post here I never include anything personal about anyone in order to avoid conflict, but this was a little over the line. By the way, learn how to type and use spellcheck.
-Tom
whatever didnt care about the pic was just wondering if ***boat took it down and if so why...dont give a shit about my typing, grammar or punctuation i guess it was good enough for you to understand and piss you off.hopefully someday i will get smart learn how to spell and become understanding to the human race maybe TOMMOROW!

3 daytona`s
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing you mean Darrell Gwynn?
As I said earlier, show some respect for hell sake
:idea:

Mardonzi
03-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Or the crashes of Blaine Johnson, Elmer Trett, Susie Wells, Jett Field.....................
I was working the Rescue crew the night that she hit the wall in "Beauty and the Beast".... Not pretty... Not sure if Stan ever really recovered from that one.
It's sad when this happens to anyone. Thoughts and prayers...

3 daytona`s
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
NHRA won't have any footage as this was a test session while the Force team had the track and safety crews rented for the day. (may be more than one team, however). None of the sanctioning bodies of motorsports knowingly replay accidents where the driver has died. When Dale hit the wall there were several replays shown as the race was winding down. But as soon as the severity of the crash was evident, the replays stopped. The Gwynn crash took place in England if I recall, so the USA's motorsports standards did not apply. However Darrell survived. Agreed, there have been some horrendous crashes where the driver walked away shown over and over, as well as some very poor taste replays of drivers that didn't. I sincerly hope we all see this crash after Eric is out of danger, and once again praise the "cage" and the construction of these grounded missles. Safety has come along way, but speed and impacts are still a force to be reconded with. Right now Eric's fight is first and foremost, nuff said............MP
Ray,how many "RACE FANS" go for one reason the crash? They talk the talk but there for the party and wreck

3 daytona`s
03-20-2007, 02:46 PM
-Tom
Tom,this is a combination of factors- Just wants to see blood-Needs to increase his post count,better stop now you get the picture:(

ToMorrow44
03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
whatever didnt care about the pic was just wondering if ***boat took it down and if so why...dont give a shit about my typing, grammar or punctuation i guess it was good enough for you to understand and piss you off.hopefully someday i will get smart learn how to spell and become understanding to the human race maybe TOMMOROW!
See that's all you had to say. You didn't have to make a big deal about the picture, just ask. And yes hopefully tomorrow all those dreams will come true for you.
Tom,this is a combination of factors- Just wants to see blood-Needs to increase his post count,better stop now you get the picture:(
3d's- Lol yeah I get the picture. Like I said I usually never post anything personal and probably won't from now on, just felt compelled. Thanks for the support.
-Tom

parker guy
03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
My thoughts n prayers go out to the Medlan family

boatnam2
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
ok 3d thanks for the arm chair evaluation....been going to the drags since i was 10 years old so after 34 years i consider myself a fan an have been a racer myself. i appreciate the dedication and desire it takes to go as fast as top fuel and think it is amazing to watch .i would never in a million years wish injury or a accident.i could of went all 34 years without a death or crash but that is not what pushing the limit brings.so sorry about trying to get my post count up and wasting your time with my unkind misspelled posts.

Taylorman
03-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Injured NHRA Funny Car driver Eric Medlen survived a delicate, three-hour craniotomy procedure to relive pressure and hemorrhaging Tuesday evening but remained in critical condition Wednesday at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.
Over the next two weeks, the 33-year-old will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.
“We consider ourselves fortunate that Eric is in one of the top hospitals in the world for this type of injury and is getting absolutely the best treatment possible,” said John Medlen, Eric's father and crew chief.
“We want to thank Eric's friends, fans, sponsors and the entire NHRA drag racing community for their support in this very difficult time for our family,” he said. “We would ask that they continue to remember Eric in their prayers. He's a fighter, but he has a long battle ahead of him.”
The elder Medlen also asked, for Eric's sake and the sake of the family, that fans refrain from speculation, especially on the internet, where erroneous information already has been a source of considerable anguish.

Moneypitt
03-21-2007, 07:32 AM
That is not completely true. When Paul Dana was killed in IRL last year it was all over the news. As far as Dale goes I have seen that video played a thousand times.
I am not condoning it but the News will play anything for ratings :(
And the "news" sanctions which races? I said sanctioning bodies, and I stand by that statement. Remember when the "news" sued to get Dals sr's autopsy photos released.(thankfully denied), I haven't seen Dale's crash footage since the day it happened.(well, maybe once during a safety documentry about this type injury). All this is moot. Eric is fighting for his life, and I could care less if the photos are ever again seen by anyone. The news will hype anything...."Atom bomb falling towards a large US city!!!!!!!!, details at 11"..........Lets be positive, it's the least we can do..........Ray

Moneypitt
03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
From the JFR website
SPECIAL E-MAIL ADDRESS ACTIVATED FOR ERIC MEDLEN GET WELL WISHES
March 22, 2007
3/22/2007
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – While medical personnel at Shands at the University of Florida medical center continue to monitor the progress of injured Funny Car driver Eric Medlen, team sponsor BP/Castrol announced Thursday the creation of a special e-mail address at which well wishers can leave messages of encouragement for the 33-year-old drag racer.
Medlen, injured last Monday in a testing accident at Gainesville Raceway, still was in critical condition Thursday after enduring a delicate craniotomy procedure on Tuesday. For at least two more weeks, he will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.
Castrol SYNTEC, MedlenÂ’s primary sponsor in his first three seasons on the NHRA POWERade tour, has announced that it will print and assemble all messages left at the e-mail address getwelleric@castrol.com and present them later to the driver and his family.
Castrol also will make available at NHRA national events and at the upcoming Mid-America Trucking Show (Louisville, Ky.), posters bearing a likeness of the popular driver on which fans can print personal messages. Those posters also will be presented to the Medlen family according to Lori Anne Gola, assistant sponsorship manager for Castrol.
“There are so many people who care about Eric,” Ms. Gola said, “and we wanted to find a tangible way to show him all of that love and support. We thought that, through this e-mail address, we could capture the prayers, kind thoughts and well wishes of all those who empathize with Eric and his family.”

TBONE1904
03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
From the JFR website
March 22, 2007
3/22/2007
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – While medical personnel at Shands at the University of Florida medical center continue to monitor the progress of injured Funny Car driver Eric Medlen, team sponsor BP/Castrol announced Thursday the creation of a special e-mail address at which well wishers can leave messages of encouragement for the 33-year-old drag racer.
Medlen, injured last Monday in a testing accident at Gainesville Raceway, still was in critical condition Thursday after enduring a delicate craniotomy procedure on Tuesday. For at least two more weeks, he will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.
Castrol SYNTEC, MedlenÂ’s primary sponsor in his first three seasons on the NHRA POWERade tour, has announced that it will print and assemble all messages left at the e-mail address getwelleric@castrol.com and present them later to the driver and his family.
Castrol also will make available at NHRA national events and at the upcoming Mid-America Trucking Show (Louisville, Ky.), posters bearing a likeness of the popular driver on which fans can print personal messages. Those posters also will be presented to the Medlen family according to Lori Anne Gola, assistant sponsorship manager for Castrol.
“There are so many people who care about Eric,” Ms. Gola said, “and we wanted to find a tangible way to show him all of that love and support. We thought that, through this e-mail address, we could capture the prayers, kind thoughts and well wishes of all those who empathize with Eric and his family.”
wow...I have my super gas NHRA license, and drag race consistently. I can only imagine how must faster a top fuel car is. I wrecked on the streets about 3 years ago, and I don't remember a month of my life while in the hospital. I am not trying to be the been there done that guy, all I am saying is Eric needs our prayers. Even though an induced coma sounds bad it saved my life.

Eliminator 4 Life
03-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Medlen involved in Gainesville testing accident
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/19/2007
Eric Medlen
Funny Car racer Eric Medlen was injured Monday when his Funny Car crashed during a testing accident at Gainesville Raceway. Medlen suffered undetermined injuries when his entry crashed heavily into the rightside guardwall. He was transported via ShandsCair helicopter to Shands at the University of Florida medical center.
The six-time NHRA tour winner, who participated in Sunday's 38th annual ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals, was being treated in the surgical intensive care unit at Shands. He was listed in critical condition while being further evaluated by medical personnel.
Medical staff will provide a condition update at midday on Tuesday according to John Force Racing sources who emphasized that, at the present time, Medlen is not permitted to have visitors, phone calls, cards or flowers.
“Eric's extended family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers,” said Kelly Antonelli, spokesperson for JFR. “At the same time, we would ask that you respect the family's privacy at this time and allow the medical staff to do its work.”
A former crewman on boss and teammate John Force's championship-winning Funny Cars, Medlen began his own driving career in 2004, winning a race his first year. He won three more times in 2005 and two times last season in a Funny Car prepared by his father, John Medlen.
My buddy is Erics cousin I will find out today for you. Damn I didnt know this happened sorry to hear. Lets pray for a speedy recovery.

Moneypitt
03-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Again, from the JFR site
MEDLEN STILL CRITICAL FOUR DAYS AFTER TESTING CRASH IN GAINESVILLE
March 23, 2007
MEDLEN STILL CRITICAL FOUR DAYS AFTER TESTING CRASH IN GAINESVILLE
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Four days after his Funny Car crashed into a concrete guardwalll during open testing at Gainesville Raceway, driver Eric Medlen remained in critical condition Friday at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.
The 33-year-old Medlen, one of the rising stars on the NHRA POWERade drag racing tour, survived a three-hour craniotomy on Tuesday that relieved pressure on the brain but, according to medical staff, the full extent of his injuries are still undetermined.
The six-time NHRA tour winner has been in a drug induced coma since being airlifted to the hospital on Monday.
####

EXTRMBT
03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
:( :( :( Eric Medlen, 33, who had emerged as one of the most popular young drivers in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, succumbed Friday afternoon to injuries suffered when his race car crashed into a guardwall during a Monday test session at Gainesville Raceway.
The talented Funny Car driver never regained consciousness. After being treated at the track, he was transported by ShandsCair helicopter to Shands at the University of Florida medical center where medical staff treated him for four days for a severe closed head injury.
"Eric suffered from severe traumatic brain injury with diffuse axonal injury, or DAI," said Dr. Joseph Layon, Professor of Anesthesiology, Surgery and Medicine and the Chief of Critical Care Medicine at UF. "Survival rates associated with DAI are low.
"On Tuesday, UF and Shands neurosurgery team performed a cranjectomy and removed the front portion of the skull to relieve pressure and attempt to improve blood flow to the brain," Dr. Layon explained. "Despite receiving the most aggressive treatment, Eric continued to have uncontrollable intracranial pressure. His body lost the ability to manage it's salt and water levels and he began displaying the complicating factors associated with DAI.
"That is when Eric's family elected to honor Eric's wishes and remove him from the artificial life support systems. Our hearts go out to Eric's loved ones."
"On behalf of the family, I want to thank the medical staff at Shands not just for giving Eric the very best care he could have received, but for the compassion it showed for Eric and all those close to him," said his father, John Medlen. "I also want to thank the thousands of people who offered their prayers and support to us during this very difficult time."
As recently as Thursday night, more than 100 drivers and crew members representing every Indianapolis-based race team attended a prayer vigil organized by Kelly Bustos, team manager for Tuttle Motorsports, which fields Top Fuel dragsters for 2006 Rookie-of-the-Year J.R. Todd, one of Medlen's closest friends in the sport.
At Louisville, Ky., where BP/Castrol had set up booth space for the Mid-America Trucking Show, fans and well-wishers filled up two giant posters with get well wishes Thursday. Moreover, more than 4,500 individual messages of support were left at a special e-mail address on the first day it was activated.
"Eric Medlen was the son I never had," said team owner John Force. "He was the leader of my next generation of drivers. Robert Hight, my daughter Ashley and I were with the family throughout this very difficult time. This loss is a huge blow not only to the Medlen family, but to drag racing and to John Force Racing. I just want to thank everybody for their support, from Larry Smiley with Racers for Christ to the hospital staff to the whole drag racing community. Our prayers go out to the family."
Little more than three years ago, Medlen took over driving responsibilities in the Funny Car in which Tony Pedregon won the 2003 championship. He had distinguished himself as one of the brightest young stars on the circuit, winning six times in his first three seasons and never finishing outside the top-five in driver points.
A graduate of Oakdale (Calif.) High School, where he was a high school rodeo champion in calf roping, Medlen trained under the watchful eye of two-time PRCA World Champion Jerold Camarillo and had contemplated a career in pro rodeo before his father called in 1996 to offer him a mechanic's job at John Force Racing, Inc.
After spending one season on the team on which his father was crew chief, he moved over one pit stall in 1997 to work on the car driven by 14-time NHRA champion John Force. Serving first as the supercharger technician and later as a clutch specialist, he was a member of a team the crewed Force to 50 tour victories and six championships in seven seasons.
When Tony Pedregon left after the 2003 season to form his own team, Medlen was Force's surprise pick to fill the seat, a move that re-united him with his father on the No. 2 team at JFR.
He was the sport's top Funny Car rookie in 2004, winning at Brainerd, Minn. He won three races in 2005 and two in 2006 including the race contested closest to his hometown -- the Fram/Autolite Nationals at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif.

EXTRMBT
03-23-2007, 03:03 PM
He was one of a kind. He will be missed by many. It is a sad day. :(

rrrr
03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Rest in peace, Champ.

73kona455
03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
RIP Eric...

WetWillie
03-23-2007, 03:30 PM
RIP Eric................

charitycase
03-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't have the words.Such a loss.

RitcheyRch
03-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Very sad.

Cs19
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
RIP Eric, what a loss. :(

Havasu1986
03-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I live a couple miles from John Force Racings shop. I just got back from there. The flag is at half mask and a memorial has been set up with flowers and cards. Very sad. i took some pics with my camera phone but don't know how to post. I can e-mail to anyone if interested. :(

Havasu1986
03-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jeff for helping me with the pics. I'm glad I could share them with people that are far away.:) But sad that I had to.:(

brad22
03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the pics. Put some nice flowers over there for us if you dont mind.
RIP Eric

Baja Big Dog
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM
33 years young.
RIP
(Race in Peace):(