PDA

View Full Version : Hard warter marks on black paint

gramps
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
My neighbor has a new black truck. I guess they forgot that the water around here is about the hardest you can find. Does anyone have a good way to remove the hard water rings without going the buffing machine route?

HM
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
The absolute best water spot remover I have ever used, is 10% vinegar in distilled water. I found out by accident as I thought I bought vinegar, and didn't realize I bought a solution. I usually made the solution between 10-20%, but never used distilled water and this solution is better than the normal ones I make. It is the shit and is cheap. Beats all the formulated water spot removers...hands down.
It will need a wax or spray detail afterward.

DMOORE
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
My neighbor has a new black truck. I guess they forgot that the water around here is about the hardest you can find. Does anyone have a good way to remove the hard water rings without going the buffing machine route?
NOOOOOOO. Warm water and white vinegar. It will take it right off and won't damage the paint. Have to do it once-in-awhile to my black Navigator if the sprinklers get it.
Darrell.

DMOORE
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Damn, ya beat me to it.:)
Darrell.

bocco
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Had a friend years ago that swore by Cascade dish soap on his black cars. Guess it makes sense if it doesn't spot your dishes..........

MR.rvrluvr
03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
don't park it by the sprinklers, work great.:D :D

ULTRA26 # 1
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Hot Sauce will take care of those spots
John M

SOCALDETAIL1
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Acid wash followed by a good waxing.

Jbb
03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Clay bar, followed by Dri Wash & guard...

Magic34
03-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Clay bar, followed by Dri Wash & guard...
I would do the same thing. :D
I would even try the Dri Wash alone first, but doing the clay bar will give you a super slick finish.

Zaairman
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Had a friend years ago that swore by Cascade dish soap on his black cars. Guess it makes sense if it doesn't spot your dishes..........
And it'll take the wax right off with it. Read this (http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277192) and you'll learn how to remove the etching from the water.

HM
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I would do the same thing. :D
I would even try the Dri Wash alone first, but doing the clay bar will give you a super slick finish.
Actually, the vinegar solution followed by dry wash n guard works nicely, and prevents water spots to boot.

707dog
03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
some good ol boat bling hot sauce will do the trick...and they back it up!!!

talbert450r
03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
The acid wash works really good but only do small sections at a time and rinse immediatly.

KREGER
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Go to kragen and get a For Sale sign. That will get rid of it.
Just kidding. I used the MR. Clean Magic Sponge one time on white paint just messing around. I wonder what it would do to black paint??? Anybody tried it?

bLoWn N Rayson
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Spit on it.....

gramps
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
OK the the vinegar solution didn't work.................the clay bar didn't work. Anymore ideas?

Magic34
03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Spit on it.....
Hey, where'd your avatar go? Did you ask her?

Magic34
03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
OK the the vinegar solution didn't work.................the clay bar didn't work. Anymore ideas?
PM me your address, I'll send you something to try.
Where do you live?
Based on that, it may be etched in, but I have 2 more things that may work.

Jbb
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I have never seen a "new" truck where a clay bar.....used correctly with lubricant...didnt work.....must be the pollution in California... :D
last resort is to have it sanded and buffed.....not a job for the inexperienced,as new cars come with very little paint anymore....

Magic34
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
I have never seen a "new" truck where a clay bar.....used correctly with lubricant...didnt work.....must be the pollution in California... :D
last resort is to have it sanded and buffed.....not a job for the inexperienced,as new cars come with very little paint anymore....
It is in Utah.

beaverretriever
03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Clay bars are great (not the best at removing water spots though), but should always be followed with a buff or you are not finishing the job. Claying even the cleanest surface still leaves micro scratches. Clay your vehicle and then park it under some fluorescent light and you will see what I mean.
Black of course is the hardest to keep nice and will always have that grey milky look to it unless it is buffed. If the paint is in good condtion with no major scars or scratches, a random orbit with a fine 7" pad and the Dark 3M perfect-it is the secret.
Clay is actually picking out small traces of dirt, rust, overspray, etc that get stuck in the clay. You are basically dragging all those particulates back across the paint. Every few minutes, take the bar and fold it over on its self over and over. This helps bring the dirt to the surface of the bar and on to your hands. Wash the bar in warm water and continue.
good luck.

Jbb
03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
It is in Utah.
Strong Easterly wind?....:D
Clay bar does require some elbow grease...

Magic34
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Strong Easterly wind?....:D
Clay bar does require some elbow grease...
I'm sending him some stuff to try.