PDA

View Full Version : External Steering

chase8
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I have read several threads lately about accidents and boat handling. I am in Northern Utah, I have a 27 ft Chase that runs in the mid 80's at this altitude. It runs and handles just fine but it does not have external steering. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Run_em_Hard
03-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes you should be concerned...anything over 70 or 75 and you should have at least the external assist. I have it on mine and love it. You should come check it out:D

BADBLOWN572
03-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I would definitely suggest it for anything 70 or above. If something happens, the hydraulic rams will usually keep the boat going straight and/or the drive from falling off the back of the boat.

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I would definitely suggest it for anything 70 or above. If something happens, the hydraulic rams will usually keep the boat going straight and/or the drive from falling off the back of the boat.
I second that--not fond of the idea of being upside down if a cable breaks. Not having that play in the gimbal area is nice too

DMOORE
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I second that--not fond of the idea of being upside down if a cable breaks. Not having that play in the gimbal area is nice too
Well said.
Worth every penny.
Darrell.

chase8
03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes you should be concerned...anything over 70 or 75 and you should have at least the external assist. I have it on mine and love it. You should come check it out:D
We should try and hook up sometime this summer. By the looks of it, the sooner the better (water issues). Utah is not cutting edge when it comes to info on these subjects.
Everyone is running runabouts and 25 ft cuddies. I didn't realize it was an issue until I started reading some of the accident reports on ***boat. I'll look into the external assist, (i want people to think my boat is fast). Just looking to be safe.

DMOORE
03-19-2007, 07:27 PM
We should try and hook up sometime this summer. By the looks of it, the sooner the better (water issues). Utah sucks when it comes to info on these subjects.
Everyone is running runabouts and 25 ft bayliner cuddies. I didn't realize it was an issue until I started reading some of the accident reports on ***boat. I'll look into the external assist, i want people to think my boat is fast.
Hey, if your boat is running 80, that IS fast. Things happen real fast on the water at 80.
Darrell.

98 Vector 21
03-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Here! Here! I will 2nd that!
he he

Havasu_Dreamin
03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Yep.....
and yep.....

River918
03-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I had full hydraulic steering put on my 25 Tremor and love it. I've never had it before this boat, but I'll never go without it again.

boatsnblondes
03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Everyone is right, and here is why. Water flows across the sides of your outdrive, at the speed you are running at. As you increase that speed, the water flowing along the drive does also. If you have looked at it, your drive is shaped like a wing of sorts, though it is designed for steering, not for lift off. Your outdrive is also your rudder. So when you turn the wheel, the entire drive swings left or right based on what you are doing. So that said, the faster the water passes over the drive, the more forces it is subject to. The maximum seems to be around 75mph or so. After that, the drive COULD start to "paddle" through the water. Meaning shifting left to right, first a little, but the vibration COULD AND SOMETIMES DOES increase. IF the outdrive paddles hard enough, it could flip your boat. Thus, external steering. To ensure that the outdrive is held still in the water, no mater what the speed. I HIGHLY recomend dual ram steering, so that if one of the hydraulic rams fails, you still have one left to hold the drive in line and give you a little bit of steering. Pricey? Yes, look to pop for 3-5,000 depending on who you talk to, and buy from. I have always thought that full helm steering is the only way to go, simply because it is like having power steering on your boat. Makes it easy for your wife and or kids to steer. A good place to start is at either of the following places:
Teague Custom Marine
And;
Rex Marine
Both places can "steer" you in the right direction, have good guys on the other end of the phone, and LOVE performance boating, meaning you might save a bit on money.
Good luck however you do this, but I would not go over 70 in your boat until have the mods done.

RiverDave
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Everyone is right, and here is why. Water flows across the sides of your outdrive, at the speed you are running at. As you increase that speed, the water flowing along the drive does also. If you have looked at it, your drive is shaped like a wing of sorts, though it is designed for steering, not for lift off. Your outdrive is also your rudder. So when you turn the wheel, the entire drive swings left or right based on what you are doing. So that said, the faster the water passes over the drive, the more forces it is subject to. The maximum seems to be around 75mph or so. After that, the drive COULD start to "paddle" through the water. Meaning shifting left to right, first a little, but the vibration COULD AND SOMETIMES DOES increase. IF the outdrive paddles hard enough, it could flip your boat. Thus, external steering. To ensure that the outdrive is held still in the water, no mater what the speed. I HIGHLY recomend dual ram steering, so that if one of the hydraulic rams fails, you still have one left to hold the drive in line and give you a little bit of steering. Pricey? Yes, look to pop for 3-5,000 depending on who you talk to, and buy from. I have always thought that full helm steering is the only way to go, simply because it is like having power steering on your boat. Makes it easy for your wife and or kids to steer. A good place to start is at either of the following places:
Teague Custom Marine
And;
Rex Marine
Both places can "steer" you in the right direction, have good guys on the other end of the phone, and LOVE performance boating, meaning you might save a bit on money.
Good luck however you do this, but I would not go over 70 in your boat until have the mods done.
Your an idiot.. Do you really want to explain why?
Alright ya talked me into it..
I could get into the whole outdrive shaped like a wing thing, but we'll leave well enough alone with just the simple statement that an outdrive is shaped like a Tear drop. That shape coincedintally produces the least amount of drag. A wing is shaped differently, much more like a half a tear drop and generates lift through a series of principals that aren't subject related, so in the words of Dr. Dre "back to the lecture at hand."
I HIGHLY recomend dual ram steering, so that if one of the hydraulic rams fails, you still have one left to hold the drive in line and give you a little bit of steering.
Ok you have some catastrophic ram failure.. Or **** it a ram failure of any sort? If a ram binds up and doesn't move.. then the other ram doesn't move. If a ram loses pressure and the whole system bleeds down, then what exactly does the other ram do for you? Dual rams split the load. That's it. If you have a steering failure your still going to have a steering failure. None of this "get ya back on one ram" shit your talking about..
Pricey? Yes, look to pop for 3-5,000 depending on who you talk to, and buy from. I have always thought that full helm steering is the only way to go, simply because it is like having power steering on your boat.
Actually to equate it to power steering on a car then hydraulic assist would be closer. Full hydraulic to the helm is just that unassisted "full hydraulic" steering.
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..
RD

djunkie
03-19-2007, 09:08 PM
RD
Please do. :D :D

h2oski2fast
03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
You make me laugh!!!!!:D :D :D
I'm still stuck on how they got the Chase into the "mid 80s". Not saying it isn't possible, just not your normal performance out of those boats.

djunkie
03-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Now I've seen it all on here. Quotes from Dr. Dre. LOL!!!!!!!!!:crossx: :crossx:

Biglue
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
RD SUX...........was my timing OK? :D

boatsnblondes
03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Ya know what Dave, go fock yourself ya focking asswhipe......thats the standard lecture I got from Rex and from Teague....you focking dipshit....you make me sick....as for my job.....I don't see your lazy ass out here....you couldn't do my job to save your life.....

h2oski2fast
03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Ya know what Dave, go fock yourself ya focking asswhipe......thats the standard lecture I got from Rex and from Teague....you focking dipshit....you make me sick....as for my job.....I don't see your lazy ass out here....you couldn't do my job to save your life.....
RD, I think you just found your new sig.:D :D :D

RiverDave
03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I can garauntee you that Rex and or Teague knew what they were talking about from first hand knowledge. As we've gone over before though your reading comprehension (or maybe in this case your comprehension as a whole?) is lacking, so when you spit it out like you thought you knew something you missed the mark a bit.
As far as your job, I don't know anything about your job. As evident by your posts on here though intelligence and higher thinking isn't a main requirement. Whether I could do it or not... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.
RD

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
settle down--that wasn't very friendly

RiverDave
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
settle down--that wasn't very friendly
He shoots to kill! :eek: That's not very friendly either.
RD:idea:

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
He shoots to kill! :eek: That's not very friendly either.
RD:idea:
some people :idea:

burtandnancy2
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Or, you could call IMCO Nevada. They make the best external steering, single or dual ram...

boatsnblondes
03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
My comrehension is just fine asshole...your the one who takes things out of context and warps them to make some stupid, useless point you have in your head....thus, I have nothing to worry about when it comes to ever seeing you out here with me...people like you are mostly found downstairs in the section allocated to our more elderly folks....see ya round...

Jyruiz
03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
I didn't think this thread would go to shits this fast.:D

boatsnblondes
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Or, you could call IMCO Nevada. They make the best external steering, single or dual ram...
I've got imco on the vector, works great..wouldn't go back...dual ram, full helm....

ULTRA26 # 1
03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Duel to the helm is optimal, but a single ram via a brazil valve will prevent blow out issues. Isn't that the point?
John M

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
My comrehension is just fine asshole...your the one who takes things out of context and warps them to make some stupid, useless point you have in your head....thus, I have nothing to worry about when it comes to ever seeing you out here with me...people like you are mostly found downstairs in the section allocated to our more elderly folks....see ya round...
again, not very friendly...dude, its the internet--lighten up a little...
BTW your Vector still only books in the 15K range if you haven't sold it yet--perhaps that may be part of the prob?? :wink:
That other vector that "wasn't as nice as yours" but was 12 years newer sold over the weekend at asking price of 26K...
ok the Benadryl is now talking--good night peoples

boatsnblondes
03-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm glad he got his money..good for him. But, the big diff is that mine is new from the ground up....I redid everything except the wood in it.....rebuilt trailer, interior, redid the gelcoat and glass, new dash, engine, steering, tabs, motor, rigging, you name it....FUN project, great boat, just time for something different...15,000? I'll keep it...

djunkie
03-20-2007, 02:05 AM
"Lets get it on!!!!!!" :boxingguy

Run_em_Hard
03-20-2007, 04:30 AM
We should try and hook up sometime this summer. By the looks of it, the sooner the better (water issues). Utah is not cutting edge when it comes to info on these subjects.
Everyone is running runabouts and 25 ft cuddies. I didn't realize it was an issue until I started reading some of the accident reports on ***boat. I'll look into the external assist, (i want people to think my boat is fast). Just looking to be safe.
When you plan on going out...I have been hitting willard that past couple weeks and it is plenty deep if you know where not to go. I also noticed that Pine View is finally thawing out. We should get together. You can check out my twin ram steering assit and my old mans full hydralic sttering and see whick you like better. If I had the cash now I would upgrade to the full steering, there is nothing better:D

chase8
03-20-2007, 08:41 AM
You make me laugh!!!!!:D :D :D
I'm still stuck on how they got the Chase into the "mid 80s". Not saying it isn't possible, just not your normal performance out of those boats.
Are you serious? The Chase runs close to 70 at this altitude right out of the box. Mine is not stock of course, but they run well.

RiverDave
03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Really? Your comprehension is fine and I take things out of text?
Lets examine that for a minute with exactly what you wrote.
Everyone is right, and here is why.
Your going to explain "why" everyone is right.. As in your an authority on the subject.
Water flows across the sides of your outdrive, at the speed you are running at. As you increase that speed, the water flowing along the drive does also.
You spout off something that even a retard can surmise for themself. You mean if the boat goes faster more water goes under it and around the outdrive?
If you have looked at it, your drive is shaped like a wing of sorts, though it is designed for steering, not for lift off.
Then you start with the wing thing, but we're on unfamiliar ground here becuase you can't remember 100% what Rex or Teague marine told you so you go back to the retard bullshit to validate..
Your outdrive is also your rudder. So when you turn the wheel, the entire drive swings left or right based on what you are doing.
Gee you think so? You have proven yourself with another correct (regardless of how ridiculously obvious it is) statement. If you turn the wheels of a car they will go left and right based on what you are doing.
So that said, the faster the water passes over the drive, the more forces it is subject to. [
Get outta here... Really?
The maximum seems to be around 75mph or so.
Now we get into the interesting parts.. Based on what? What grounds do you have for saying that or any of the other shit coming up except that someone once told you?
After that, the drive COULD start to "paddle" through the water. Meaning shifting left to right, first a little, but the vibration COULD AND SOMETIMES DOES increase. IF the outdrive paddles hard enough, it could flip your boat.
By paddles (whatever that means?) hard enough I'm assuming you mean breaking steering linkages, gimbles or something else?
Thus, external steering. To ensure that the outdrive is held still in the water, no mater what the speed.
Back to validating your points becuase you were on shaky ground, so another retarded "If you throw a ball in the air it will come back down" post.
I HIGHLY recomend dual ram steering,
Ok... Now WHAT DOES THAT SAY?
Read it again B&B
I HIGHLY recomend dual ram steering,
It says that you are in a position to recomend something to someone else. That you are in fact an authority on the subject. That YOU not someone else.. Not Rex, not Teague. YOU highly recomend dual ram steering, and then you follow it up with this gem.
so that if one of the hydraulic rams fails, you still have one left to hold the drive in line and give you a little bit of steering.
Which as we know is why I called you out on the subject. After all your the authority! Go disconnect one of your rams on your vector and see how well the other one works. Then tell me if you'd like to do that at 70+ mph.
So when you get called out on the subject what is the 1st thing you do?
All of a sudden your not the expert anymore. This is some lecture you got from the experts. Not your own opinions, but rather some regurgitated form of their opinions. Might I suggest the next time you take some notes becuase your comprehension sucks.
So tell me what did I take out of context? What did I change?
You were touting expert advice (as it was your own) from someone elses coat tails and got caught.
RD

Daytona100
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
LOL RD you kill me!!!!!!!!!! Thats some funny shit. You made my day.:D

RiverDave
03-20-2007, 11:12 AM
LOL RD you kill me!!!!!!!!!! Thats some funny shit. You made my day.:D
Well ruined someones day.. made someones day. It's all in how ya look at it. ;)
RD

h2oski2fast
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Are you serious? The Chase runs close to 70 at this altitude right out of the box. Mine is not stock of course, but they run well.
What motor, drive ratio and prop is in it? I never said it was impossible. But from near 70 to mid 80's is a big step. Just wondering.

Wild Horses
03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I hope you guys are about done saying he said she said. I'm still not sure who has the biggest dick.
Chase, Listen to what my son: run-em-hard is saying. I put the steering on his boat and it made a world of difference. The peace of mind you get is well worth the money spent. Mine is full Hydraulic with twins and steers easier than an assist with a single.
If you need some help feel free to contact either my son or myself.
Clint
Runnin' Wild

h2oski2fast
03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
By paddles (whatever that means?) hard enough I'm assuming you mean breaking steering linkages, gimbles or something else?
Rd, I did some research and here's what I have come up with:
Paddle:
http://canoekayak.com/gear/bent-wood-paddle-art.jpg
Not a paddle:
http://brucebullockmarine.com/mercury/images/bravo1.gif
Hope this helps.;) ;) ;)

RiverDave
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I hope you guys are about done saying he said she said. I'm still not sure who has the biggest dick.
Chase, Listen to what my son: run-em-hard is saying. I put the steering on his boat and it made a world of difference. The peace of mind you get is well worth the money spent. Mine is full Hydraulic with twins and steers easier than an assist with a single.
If you need some help feel free to contact either my son or myself.
Clint
Runnin' Wild
Oh believe me my internet dick is a sight to behold.. :D
Incidentally I think chase should get the hydraulic as well. I don't know if I'd go full to the helm hydraulic for his application (pretty expensive) but a single ram assist might be the way to go.
Something like this
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=52&catid=498&productid=3564&CFID=288655&CFTOKEN=86128949
RD

Jordy
03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Not a paddle:
http://brucebullockmarine.com/mercury/images/bravo1.gif
Hope this helps.;) ;) ;)
Isn't that a wing??? :D :D :D
I'm so confused now!!! :jawdrop: :D

h2oski2fast
03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Isn't that a wing??? :D :D :D
I'm so confused now!!! :jawdrop: :D
Damn it, keep up, this is a wing:
http://www.mightyducks.com/graphics/fanzone/wild_wing.jpg
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wild Horses
03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh believe me my internet dick is a sight to behold.. :D
Incidentally I think chase should get the hydraulic as well. I don't know if I'd go full to the helm hydraulic for his application (pretty expensive) but a single ram assist might be the way to go.
Something like this
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=52&catid=498&productid=3564&CFID=288655&CFTOKEN=86128949
RD
Good call! I knew you had a constructive side to you Dave.:D :D :D

Jordy
03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Damn it, keep up, this is a wing:
http://www.mightyducks.com/graphics/fanzone/wild_wing.jpg
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
DAMMIT!!! I give up!!! :confused: :D

djunkie
03-20-2007, 12:38 PM
DAMMIT!!! I give up!!! :confused: :D
Thats another first. :D :D

chase8
03-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help. Run Em, I'll get in touch with you this season, maybe we can hook up.