PDA

View Full Version : Open Bow Conversion

Old Man Havasu
03-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Ran into a guy at the boat show in Havasu this weekend that converts closed bow boats to open bow. He has done "10 or so". Its a place called In Stitches on Industrial. He is asking about 5000.00 for the conversion of my 270 Hallett closed bow. He has never converted this particular boat before. I plan on seeing his shop and talking to some customers next week.
Anyone know the quality of his work on interiors or conversions?
Thanks in advance!
Gary

Havasu1986
03-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Did you check with Hallet if they would convert it.:)

Screemy1
03-19-2007, 05:33 PM
YIKES.... sounds like an Okey conversion..... I saw one that some dude on a "found some paint" thread... looks kinda hacked.... I would steer away!!!!

dumbandyoung
03-19-2007, 05:43 PM
im sure you could go to hallett to have it done... I guarantee it would come out better too
5k seems a little steep for a no name shop who has done only ten boats..

Old Man Havasu
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I did talk with Hallett today. They said it could be done no problem. Just concerned about new bulkhead placement. The price seemed fair but no offer to do the coversion. I imagine they are busy building new boats after the the LA show.

SummitKarl
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
yes "In stiches" has a good reputation out here, heard/seen nothing but good things from some of the hot rods out here

phebus
03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
yes "In stiches" has a good reputation out here, heard/seen nothing but good things from some of the hot rods out here
I also have heard nothing but good about In Stitches. Quality work comes out of their shop, and before I would let people unfamiliar with their work make you go somewhere else, I would communicate with them, and then make up your mind.

dicudmore
03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
agreed with Karl and Phebus...I have met the owners of In-Stitches (last season he was rolling a real nice Firehawk cat) and seen some of their interior work...Seemed to be good people and the work I have seen was well done. He will take the time to do it right--

Keith E. Sayre
Yes, In Stitches does good work and they're fair and good
people. Since it is a Hallet, I'd also suggest that you phone Bill Sturgis in Provo Utah at Arko Upholstery.
He's the one that did all the interior in your Hallet and
he does ours here at Conquest too. Once a week, he comes
down with a truck and trailer load of upholstery and he can
take your boat back with him for a week. and then drop it
back off here in Havasu the next week. His phone is 801-794-9400. They're the best that I've seen in that business. Although I don't know if he still does those
conversions himself or if just does the interior and then
lets Hallet do the work?? Call him, he's great people too.
Keith Sayre

SHOTKALLIN
Thats the magic of the internet working again:D

Old Man Havasu
03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks everyone,
Keith good idea, I'll give Bill a call and get his take on the idea as well.

f_inscreenname
03-20-2007, 04:46 AM
I have a question, why? If you want a bow rider buy a bow rider and save the cool deck boat for someone else.

TCN
03-20-2007, 05:52 AM
In Stitches does nice work and they are good people. I have had a few things done there and have been pleased every time. Good luck.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-20-2007, 05:58 AM
They did work in my dads boat. Side pannels and carpet. Good work, but i think they prices are high!

NOTALENT
03-20-2007, 06:10 AM
I have a question, why? If you want a bow rider buy a bow rider and save the cool deck boat for someone else.
Maybe the closed bow was suitable for his needs when he bought it and now he wants something different. Maybe he wants to load the boat with chicks or maybe he just wants change...lots of reasons...if someone wants a close bow...they can buy it.:D

little rowe boat
03-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I believe when Hallett builds an open bow it comes out of the mold as an open bow. I don't think they cut it out of a closed bow. If this is the case, you could void any hull warranty that Hallett offers on your boat. Just something to think about.

Havasu1986
03-20-2007, 07:57 AM
I believe when Hallett builds an open bow it comes out of the mold as an open bow. I don't think they cut it out of a closed bow. If this is the case, you could void any hull warranty that Hallett offers on your boat. Just something to think about.
Read post # 6.:)

HALLETT BOY
03-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Hmmm, interesting...a couple of years ago I looked at a used 27 closed bow and called Hallett to see if they could convert it to open bow,and they said emphaticly NO !

velocity280
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I recently had my Velocity 280 converted to an open bow. I worked with Jim at Tammy's Upholstery on Countryshire Ave. They did an outstanding job. I believe their price is in the $4000 range. I would not hesitate to recommend his company to anyone. Their phone number is 928-505-3206.

phebus
03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Hmmm, interesting...a couple of years ago I looked at a used 27 closed bow and called Hallett to see if they could convert it to open bow,and they said emphaticly NO !
You must have caled on a day that ended in a "Y". Those are traditonally "Hallet Attitude" days. :)

HALLETT BOY
03-20-2007, 08:20 AM
You must have caled on a day that ended in a "Y". Those are traditonally "Hallet Attitude" days. :)
Now that's funny !!!

Keith E. Sayre
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Rick: you're a bad boy. Are you still stuck in the garage
in the boat?
Keith Sayre

BADAXE
03-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I've never had anything but great customer service in my dealings with Hallett.

franky
03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
In Stitches, great guy, great work. No shortcuts. He was doing the complete interiors for the Coles that were built here for a short short time. I would completely trust him.

dumbandyoung
03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
i think ins/warr would be null and void:idea: i have a chainsaw if ya need it,and jordy would be happy to do the cutting:D :D (for a 12 pack):D
and he will drink the 12 pack before he gets to work. then while he sends you to the store to buy him more beer, he'll hit on your wife.:D

Throttle
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
seems like you have found a couple of options... just a thought, his price seems a bit high, but maybe he is worth it! good luck...:D

HighVoltage 329
03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Keith thanks for the info on Arko, I have been wanting to update my 240's interior.
I'm a closed bow guy that loves Halletts, I can't watch!

Old Man Havasu
03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have found several places that can do a conversion. I want to find someone with experience on this particular model and see the results before I let some one start cutting!
See you on the water this weekend.