PDA

View Full Version : NEWB ? cruising rough water

xlr857
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Im still in the market for a jet boat. But just a out of curiosity what the best technique in rough water to keep from tearing up the boat or it ending up at the bottom of a lake. Ive been out tons on my buddies 21 foot Carrera. Its a prop ride but it seems to handle the rough water at pleasant and Havasu pretty good. Is there more precautions to take in a jet. I just dont want to sink mine on the first outing. Thanks for any tips.

squirt'nmyload
03-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Im still in the market for a jet boat. But just a out of curiosity what the best technique in rough water to keep from tearing up the boat or it ending up at the bottom of a lake. Ive been out tons on my buddies 21 foot Carrera. Its a prop ride but it seems to handle the rough water at pleasant and Havasu pretty good. Is there more precautions to take in a jet. I just dont want to sink mine on the first outing. Thanks for any tips.
hit the gas, cross your fingers and close your eyes:D......seriously though....i wouldn't take my jet out in either of those lakes when they are choppy....just not worth it for me......if you have to then i just try to pedal through it

77charger
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
slow it down thats about it.

pw_Tony
03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I like jets for the shallow water capabilities. You see some, JUST floor it! When it doubt throttle out

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Trim up,Stab and steer:D I try to ride with the chop. I also keep my hand on the diverter and use it wisely;)

MBlaster
03-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Trim up,Stab and steer:D I try to ride with the chop. I also keep my hand on the diverter and use it wisely;)
Yep 396 is spot on. We run at Havi more than any place else.

cave
03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
You need to read the water and avoid the rougher spots. Like Mike said try to ride the crest if you can up and over at a smooth speed. Seat time will help you out. When you stop check your back end just in case the wake comes over the back end (depending on your free-board height). A splash guard is nice but most here like the clean look. A diverter, Manual or Hydro helps out too. Remember to keep your head on a swivel. When your avoiding some rough water there may be a freaking ship or jet ski (AKA as flees) coming up fast from the rear. Good luck.

460 jus getn it
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Trim up and let her fly.................:D :D