PDA

View Full Version : Prop Testing in So Cal

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I am planning to head out to Elsinore this Sunday to test three propellers and wanted to know if there was any V-drive guys in So Cal who would be willing to go along and help. I need someone who has changed V-drive props alot and can give me the confidence that each prop is seated on the shaft correctly so I can mash the throttle and get some #'s for each propeller. I figure it will take about 5 hours or so to do the testing. I'll cover lunch and beverages. Dmonzta?
travis

dmontzsta
03-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Hey Travis, I will let you know by the end of the week. I have to work on my website this weekend and my designer finally has an opening. Let me see what I can work out!

dmontzsta
03-20-2007, 10:17 AM
What time are you thinking of going out there? I have a soccer game Sunday morning, but it is early. I spoke to my old man and he is up for it.

lilrick
03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I'll go ! let me know for sure when.(562)307-5578

lilrick
03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
You need to make sure that you have a proper fit of the props before you go out there. Call me and we can discuss this.

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I'd say if it needs to be mid morning then 11 ish. Just let me know. i am flexible. I am the one who needs the help so keep me posted ona time if you can make it. I'll have all three props, socket and drive to R&R, block of wood to wedge between prop ear and bottom of boat, and cooler with sodas, snacks, and a 6 pack for when we finally yank her out of the water.
Trav

lilrick
03-20-2007, 10:39 AM
sounds good. i've got two props i'll bring as well.

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Lilrick- i could use a hand fitting the props with the keys and such. If you want to come by I am in Fullerton. You can look at that 10-7/8x15 and maybe we can trade for somewhere in between an 11.5x15 and 12x15. Your props are for 1-inch shaft correct?
Travis

lilrick
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Absolutely! Lets fit um before the outing!

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Cool. I want to eliminate any chance for additional vibration. I got the driveshaft back from the balancer and it was out of balance. the U-joints were also replaced and the assembly was re-balalnced. Lilrick-Do you have additional keys we can try or do I need to buy some keyways?
Travis

dmontzsta
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Travis, Do you have a prop puller? Just asking cause I didnt see that on your list, assuming you do though. :) Also, did you put anti-seize on the shaft before you put the prop on?
I have probably put on and taken off around 8-10 props in my past. Anti seize is the key! :) Putting them on is a piece of cake, just line up the key slide it where it is supposed to be and tighten the nut DOWN!
11am sounds just about right for me.
Talk to you soon.
Rick are you going out for sure?

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Dmonzta- I have a prop puller-a nice Rex one. My only concern is the keys and keyway. I just want to make sure that the prop seats all the way down on the shaft so we don't get vibration there.
Trav

dmontzsta
03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Dmonzta- I have a prop puller-a nice Rex one. My only concern is the keys and keyway. I just want to make sure that the prop seats all the way down on the shaft so we don't get vibration there.
Trav
No problem, I am sure that between You, My Dad, lilRick and I we should be able to get it right. :D Nothing like four sets of eyes on the job.

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
When I originally installed the first prop-10-7/8X15 I had to take some material off of the key itself so it would fit in the key way. when we installed the 12x15 test prop I ran with last time the key fit fine in the keyway. I just want to make sure that sucker is seated down tight.
Trav

vee-driven
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Do they turn people away for crowding, i've never been to that lake before. are they strict on rules, what about the speed limit. Anywhere to get av gas out there. anybody, anybody.

Schiada Time
03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Vee- I would bring the AV gas with ya. If you have OT headers they do a baffle check. Otherwise launch it and dont drive like an asshole.

vee-driven
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
the hallett has thru transom exhaust, i guess i'll fill up here, and me drive like an ass-hole never, lol.

lilrick
03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Trav
The prop fit and keyway stuff is easier to explain on the phone.

Schiada Time
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Lilrick- I'd be willing to tow to LBC if you wouldn't mind giving me a hand.

VDRIVERACING
03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I use marine bearing grease, and they always pop right off.
If you're trying different props take a black sharpie with you. Before you put the key in, slide the prop up on the shaft, then set a piece of wood against the back edge of the prop barrel and tap it with a hammer to make sure it's seated. Then use the sharpie to draw a line on the shaft at the front edge of the prop barrel.
Afterward, when you put it on with the key in it, check to make sure it slides up at least as far as the line. This way you know the key is not hanging the prop up before it's snug. When you get back, use the sharpie to write a note on the prop noting the performance.

lilrick
03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
that's whats in the plan Billy:D

Schiada Time
03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I am planning to head out to Elsinore this Sunday to test three propellers and wanted to know if there was any V-drive guys in So Cal who would be willing to go along and help. I need someone who has changed V-drive props alot and can give me the confidence that each prop is seated on the shaft correctly so I can mash the throttle and get some #'s for each propeller. I figure it will take about 5 hours or so to do the testing. I'll cover lunch and beverages. Dmonzta?
travis
Props and keys are all fit thanks to some much appreciated help from Lilrick today. Off to Elsinore in the AM.

dmontzsta
03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Props and keys are all fit thanks to some much appreciated help from Lilrick today. Off to Elsinore in the AM.
You two ex-jet boat guys have come a long way! :D

Schiada Time
03-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep. its a new era in boating for me.
Trav

Schiada Time
03-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Just got back a few hours ago from Elsinore. Headed out this AM with Lilrick. Domtztsta and his pops came out for a few hours as well. The boat perfromed well and ran hard. We tested the 12x15 3-blade (atleast that is what is stamped on the prop but the guy I borrowed it from got it with his boat which is a 21 Schiada with twin turbo motor so I think it has been cut down). The other prop we tried was an 11.5 X15 3 blade Menkens that allowed the boat to revv to 5100 rpm and it ran right at 53 MPH. The "12x15" pulled 5800 rpm and ran 54.5 with 4 people in the boat. The motor is built to revv to 5800 so I am not sure I want to spin it this hard. I think the 11.5X15 is the safer choice for the motor living. The only other PROP i think I could do is go in between 11.5X15 and 12x15 or go to 11-1/4x15. In fACT i WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND 11-1/4X15.

lilrick
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
sure was fun riding around with Dmonzsta on my lap....kinda has a boney butt though..

dmontzsta
03-25-2007, 07:04 PM
It was good hanging with my buds out there, just another great day on the water. Travis, that boat is sweet dude, good job with it. I know that YOU know you will have MANY years of fun with it. Hopefully we can all do it again soon, with all of our boats!
Rick, my butt is boney but perfect for drafting your ass like nascar! :)

Schiada Time
03-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Scott- The C500 has a 1.10 ratio in it. Next year I plan to upgrade the box but this year I am just going to run her.
Travis

boat 569
03-26-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm sure most of the people on these boards know this, but for those of you that don't. Craftsman screw drivers with the quarter inch shank make some of the best keys. I've bought some just to cut up for key stock. I've used them on everything from crank hubs to props on topfuel hydros and never had a problem.

VDRIVERACING
03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Scott- The C500 has a 1.10 ratio in it. Next year I plan to upgrade the box but this year I am just going to run her.
Travis
Check out my C500 ad in the spam section.

lilrick
03-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Check out my C500 ad in the spam section.
he HAS on..He's interested in a 10* or 12* box so he can swap gears like he swaps ol' ladies!

dmontzsta
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
he HAS on..He's interested in a 10* or 12* box so he can swap gears like he swaps ol' ladies!
Do you know what degree he has now? I think all C500s are 12* (dont quote me) if he switched to a 10* he would also have to change the strut and possibly the hole in the floor and log! :eek: That is what I am going through right now! :)

lilrick
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Do you know what degree he has now? I think all C500s are 12* (dont quote me) if he switched to a 10* he would also have to change the strut and possibly the hole in the floor and log! :eek: That is what I am going through right now! :)
don't you just mount the box to match the prop shaft and make up the 2* in the drive shaft?

dmontzsta
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
don't you just mount the box to match the prop shaft and make up the 2* in the drive shaft?
Might as well leave the 12* in there at that point. :D

lilrick
03-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Might as well leave the 12* in there at that point. :D
ease of gear change is the point my friend.

dmontzsta
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
ease of gear change is the point my friend.
Its a cruiser...just cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise! :)

lilrick
03-26-2007, 11:57 AM
well....adding a blown motor is my personal aspiration as I'm sure for many. Having said that, it sure would be alot easier to swap gears instead of pulling out the v-drive.

dmontzsta
03-26-2007, 12:10 PM
well....adding a blown motor is my personal aspiration as I'm sure for many. Having said that, it sure would be alot easier to swap gears instead of pulling out the v-drive.
You want a blown motor? Shit, just a hook a tube from your ass to the manifold, instant boost. lol. :D

rrrr
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
At some point the conversation between you two "chums" went from v-drive to bench racers.....what with the shafts and tight nuts n all......:jawdrop:
:D :D