PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead ?

ANXIETY ATTACK
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Never been to lake mead and wanted to spend a few days there before coming down for the poker run, and was wondering if any one here knows a safe place to launch a 32 ft. with current water level. what would you recomend to see while there. :)

DILLIGAF
03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I stayed at the Green Valley Ranch Resort in Henderson and boated during the day. I have a 29 and launched at Lake Mead Marina which is about 20 minutes away from GVRR. As you are looking at the water launch on the R side. That was last fall so I don't know how it is right now. Great boating lake. You can go thru the narrows and many times end up on some of the flatest water you will ever see.
Good trip to take as long as the level allows the launching........

dirty old man
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
At present lake levels (-101) Lake Mead Marina is your best bet. Give yourself a few days to see the lake, its fabulous and has over 1000 miles of shoreline

vegasriverjunkie
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Lake Mead Marina is also where I always launch from and I always see boats bigger than mine launching from there as well.

DILLIGAF
03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
At present lake levels (-101) Lake Mead Marina is your best bet. Give yourself a few days to see the lake, its fabulous and has over 1000 miles of shoreline
I think that is where I launched from....I had the name wrong and corrected my post...

x7734x
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah Lake Mead Marina or Hemmingway are your best bets for launching. Launching on that side of the lake you can go a few miles south and see the Hoover Dam cant get too close with the new resrtictions for homeland security. the narrows are always fun and on the way there you will see off to the left side sandy beach where there should be people hanging out.

dirty old man
03-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't use Hemminway right now, you'll have to submerge your launch vehicle too deep and thats hard on differentials, carpeting, upholstery and power windows

Keith E. Sayre
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Anxiety Attack: I'm assuming that your avatar is showing a photo of your boat. Do you keep your boat across at
Havasu Landing? And if so, are your related to or know
Dick Colburn (sp?)? One of the funnest old guys I've ever
met with a terrific passion for boats.
As for Lake Mead, even though it appears you have a big
strong boat, BE CAREFUL up there. Hardly a season goes
by that one of my friends doesn't sink a boat up there or
come close to it due to weather. Always the first or second
timers. The day will be beautiful, then a breeze, then the
wind, then a cloud, then dark and hailing and blowing and
8 foot swells and game over. It comes up remarkably fast
and just as quickly as it starts, it goes away.
Keith Sayre

ANXIETY ATTACK
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Don"t know any one by that name, we are at Havasu for a week in April every year and stay in coves or beach camp. Are there any sand bars or submerged granette iceburgs to worry about on Mead?

burtandnancy2
03-20-2007, 12:39 PM
The sand is all on the beachs, but give the markers some extra room, some rocks loom benieth...

DeltaSigBoater
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Don"t know any one by that name, we are at Havasu for a week in April every year and stay in coves or beach camp. Are there any sand bars or submerged granette iceburgs to worry about on Mead?
Sand bars are few and far between, water doesnt flow enough for a sand bar to form.
As far as the submerged granite iceburgs go - thats just common sense to look where your driving, and if you have any doubts slow down.
Have fun out there.

Outnumbered
03-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Go to the marina store and get a nav map with topo lines so you will have a feel for the underwater terrain in the area you are in. Most hazards are well marked in the main channel but be careful when exploring the coves.