PDA

View Full Version : What oil filter to get for a 455.

georgewa
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Can you guys help me with the oil filter p/n for the ACdelco filters, or whatever filter is the best to run (not fram)? Thanks...

Red Lickin
03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you guys help me with the oil filter p/n for the ACdelco filters, or whatever filter is the best to run (not fram)? Thanks...
why not Fram?:idea:

Moneypitt
03-20-2007, 06:19 PM
why not Fram?:idea:
Fram filters have taken a beating here on HB. Why? I don't know. Somebody blamed a fram filter for an engine failure and somehow reasoned it out to the filter. Others jumped in and agreed?? I've ran all sorts of filters, Fram included, and have never had a filter problem. I run the Fram stocker on the Olds hydro, and the BBC jet, as well as the PS boat, and have had zero filter problems....I think they all come from the same offshore manufacturer, just different colors and decals. For the Olds, run the stock fram. If it blows up, it would have blown up regardless of which brand filter you put on it.....MP

jetboatperformance
03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
We use Fram for general service on Olds and have never had a problem,double check but I belive the ph 25 is correct (short) or if you have room the ph 11 has a little more capacity .My personal favorite is K&N Tom

malcolm
03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Frams just have a poor filter inside, cut one open and compare it to a Napa or Wix. There's no comparison.
I have a Wix on mine, number 51258.
I've personally cut open a PH8A to find the crip blown open and the paper just flappin' in the oil. ;)

TahitiTiger
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll be the odd ball here, I use a Baldwin B39 filter on my 455.
Baldwin manufactures filters for alot of companies out there. :D

4trax
03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Frams just have a poor filter inside, cut one open and compare it to a Napa or Wix. There's no comparison.
I have a Wix on mine, number 51258.
I've personally cut open a PH8A to find the crip blown open and the paper just flappin' in the oil. ;)
Napa Gold or Wix same thing or Hastings. Nuff said.

malcolm
03-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll be the odd ball here, I use a Baldwin B39 filter on my 455.
Baldwin manufactures filters for alot of companies out there. :D
Yeah, I like Baldwins too. :)

sidewound
03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I use the K&N filter on mine. 15 pound oil pressure difference compared to all the other crap I've tried. Spend the extra cash and you'll be glad you did in the long run.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

georgewa
03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
What K&N part number? The filter on it right now looks like normal (not short) filter. It mounts on a mount that points it down behind the logs. Not sure if this a stock oil filter mount, bolts to the side of the block.
Thanks...

Moneypitt
03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I use the K&N filter on mine. 15 pound oil pressure difference compared to all the other crap I've tried. Spend the extra cash and you'll be glad you did in the long run.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR
15 lbs more or less?........

MKEELINE
03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
How about a System 1 filter. It will be the last one you'll need to buy. Check them out @ www.system1filters.com.

71tahiti
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Those system one filters look SWEET. Im sure they are HI!!!! I relocated my oil filter on my 455, Is that ok to do? Sure makes those changes ALOT easier.

georgewa
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I should relocate my filter, and hook up a drain line. What kit did you use to relocate the filter? Right now I'm going to have to disconnect some lines to get behind the exhaust manifolds...