PDA

View Full Version : Gm 6.0 Throttle Body Spacer

707dog
03-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Airraid/ Holly/and Some Others Is Anybody Running One Of These? Whats The Pro's And Con's? Is It Worth The $$?

Cole Trickle
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Airraid/ Holly/and Some Others Is Anybody Running One Of These? Whats The Pro's And Con's? Is It Worth The $$?
Smoke and mirrors:)
Stay away from the TB spacers and aftermarket MAF's
Things that works are as follows...
Intake
Cat Back
Tuning
headers

707dog
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Smoke and mirrors:)
Stay away from the TB spacers and aftermarket MAF's
Things that works are as follows...
Intake
Cat Back
Tuning
headers
cool got the 3" SS/flow master system,cold air intake outa the way i was eye ballin some headers last week and thats when i seen some of the tb spacers...

BowTie Rick
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
They do make a couple ponies but at high RPM and at the expense of low end performance. Same thing as when you put one under a carb.

707dog
03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
They do make a couple ponies but at high RPM and at the expense of low end performance. Same thing as when you put one under a carb.
yeah i dont wanna loose any low end..was looking for away to squeeze out a little more torque and some ponys for more pulling power....

dc96819
04-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Good paper weights unless you use it for nitrous plate:)

FryJet
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
You'll get more for your money with one of these. WOO WOO, lol :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IedefC263Us
F.J.

707dog
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
You'll get more for your money with one of these. WOO WOO, lol :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IedefC263Us
F.J.
LMAO..you gotta here that chit in person it will have you crackin up!! its stupid but as you seen they stick on any car....welcome to the ghetto HP bolts ons...

sigepmock
04-10-2007, 06:15 AM
I did a lot of work to my old 6.0L trying to get a little more pulling power....this was the only thing that REALLY worked :D
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1144
Well that....or switching to a diesel:eek: :D

707dog
04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
I did a lot of work to my old 6.0L trying to get a little more pulling power....this was the only thing that REALLY worked :D
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1144
Well that....or switching to a diesel:eek: :D
this has crossed my mine a couple times my boat at the present really isnt that heavy(aprox 5800lbs) so was just trying some basic chit...but that charger still isnt a distant thought:D

Beer-30
04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
this has crossed my mine a couple times my boat at the present really isnt that heavy(aprox 5800lbs) so was just trying some basic chit...but that charger still isnt a distant thought:D
My '98 7400 (7.4 / 454) Vortec pulls my trailering weight (boat and trailer and all stuff inside, fluids, etc) of 8500-9000 just fine. Of course, it is tuned a little, small things here and there that always help. I had considered a Whipple when it was young, and I knew I would be towing with it. We always want more power.
But, before you jump into that, just consider gas prices that probably aren't ever going to drop too much. Gone are the days of $.70/gal, as it was circa 1988. Every year gas prices go up and down, but never really go WAY down. Adding a Whipple (or any other blower) now locks you into 92 octane, minimum. Right now, your 6.0 will run on almost water and you would never notice the difference between the cheapest 87 and the best 92. That would change with supercharging.
Although it is possible for fuel mileage to improve with supercharging, it is never really the case. After adding 100, 120, 150 hp - the right foot seems to go exploring more often. Horsepower is a product of air, fuel, and RPM. Revolutions may stay constant, but added HP will take more air and fuel.
I almost did it several times, but one of the things I like the most about my truck is the lack of fuel quality requirement. It runs exactly the same, whether it is on a diet of Shell, Chevron, ARCO, or Beacon (if they are even around anymore). I almost always fillup at ARCO AM/PM, 87, and I have never had any driveability issues. I run a bottle of RedLine fuel cleaner through it once in awhile. Although, I'll be switching to diesel pretty soon.
Just food for thought.

sigepmock
04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Have you added a tuner yet? I personnaly have had the Hypertech and Diablo Sport Predator and prefer the Predator. We run one on the wife's Tahoe with this Killer K&N ( Thanks again you know who :D ) and it really woke the the motor up and makes it a lot more drivable.
The key is to tune out the "Torque Management" a system developed to save GM money...the unfortunate end result is that the computer decides how much power the motor gets to make no matter what you are doing with the throttle. I have seen low RPM instances were the "Torque Management" reduced engine power by nearly 40% with 98% throttle input......what good is 300hp if the computer will only give 200 hp or less????:confused:
The Diablo Sport Predator tuner reduces the "Torque Management" to an almost non-existant level...you can run the 87 octane tune for a mild gain or bump up to the 91 octane tune for even more power. I'd look at a tuner long before headers.
Now if you already have the tuner, intake, and exhaust....a free flowing cat and headers will help but only when you have the motor in the higher RPM's.....I ran headers on the supercharged motor but that's a whole different ball game.
Good luck,
Chris

707dog
04-10-2007, 10:35 AM
nice input from both of you guys...
beer-30-- as a much as i want it:idea: im with ya on the gas issue with super charging it...it was my hold back also...as you said we always want more HP..damn kidz never happy!!!
sigepmock--did they hypertech tuner i wasnt happy i got terriable gas milage after i installed it tryed to tune it some more but just wasnt what i expected...it also said not to tow while using the hi-po mode that it could burn out my ingnition so kinda scared me cause im know (dumb-azz aint cover under warranty..lmao..ill check out the other programmer you mentioned cause i do know they restrict the hell out of these trucks for emmisions..

sigepmock
04-10-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=3
Here you go. The 87 tune is very safe yet still delivers great drivability improvement. It did wonders for my wife's Tahoe with the 5.3L V8

goneboatin
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
To get the most bang for the buck you need to go the way of a custom tune. I got a Wester's tune for my 6.0. It didn't make it a hot rod, but it did wake it up. Lyndon will ask what you want and what you've done to your truck and he'll remove the torque management, adjust the speedo if you changed your tires and wheels, firm up the shift points, and dial in as much performance as possible by means of 87, 89, or 91 octane. I even picked up one mile per gallon in town and 2 on the highway. I even hit 17 once driving around 70 mph on the way to the river.
Mine cost me $500, but he guarantees it for life, any adjustments he'll make for free, just pay shipping, and if you sell you truck and get another GM vehicle, he'll give another tune for free, just pay shipping.
There's other outfits like PCM's for less and Wait4me, but I felt better with the Wester's than I did with the others. T Byrne Motorsports occasional sales on the Wester's tunes, so you might want to check them out.
Good luck!

707dog
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
cool thanks for the info !!! ill check that out too...