PDA

View Full Version : Billett Alum Impellers

CPBRIAN10THMTN
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I've used lots of the cast alum. Looking at the billett alum impellers, looking for some feedback, anyone used one? Obviously would be stronger but by how much over the cast crap.:idea:

Taylorman
03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.precisionjetdrive.com/mall/prod04.asp

GUGS102
03-21-2007, 02:47 PM
There have been a couple of SS ones for sale. As for the billet, no personal experience here si I can't say.
Gugs

DelawareDave
03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
I was just discussing one of those the other day with someone. No thanks.

sanger rat
03-21-2007, 05:03 PM
They are made of two parts. Welded together after machining. It will crack at the welds after a short time. I would not recommend one to anybody.

LuckyDaze
03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
They are made of two parts. Welded together after machining. It will crack at the welds after a short time. I would not recommend one to anybody.
Why would it crack at the welds after a short time? I know a couple of people who use this with great success and no problems with cracked welds.
~Brian

UBFJ #454
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Even when AL is properly welded the material in the vicinity of the weld loses about 1/2 the strength of the virgin material. With proper heat treating a good portion of the strength of the welded areas can be recooped, but, not totally back to the original strength of the virgin material ... something like high 90's % of the original strength can be obtained when the heat treating is done properly.

BrendellaJet
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
That doesn't sound like billet to me...I thought billet meant it was made out of one piece, not two.

sdpm
03-21-2007, 06:55 PM
That doesn't sound like billet to me...I thought billet meant it was made out of one piece, not two.
I was thinking the same thing?:idea:

wsuwrhr
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
The term "Billet" describes the material the part is cut from. Basically a solid peice of material is a billet. Plate is billet. Rectangles, squares and rounds are extrusions and are also considered billets.
Not a casting for sure.
Two peices of "billet" could be made and then those two peices could be welded together.
Brian

BrendellaJet
03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Two peices of "billet" could be made and then those two peices could be welded together.
Brian
Sure, but that aint a billet impeller.:idea:

sdpm
03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
What does "Billet" mean?
A billet is simply a solid piece of material that is shaped into it's finished form by machining. Most finished products are either cast or molded into shape. A billet is a raw block of material.
Back to Billet Brothers Home Page
Didn't see anything about something being welded together still being billet?

sleekcrafter
03-21-2007, 08:35 PM
What does "Billet" mean?
A billet is simply a solid piece of material that is shaped into it's finished form by machining. Most finished products are either cast or molded into shape. A billet is a raw block of material.
Back to Billet Brothers Home Page
Didn't see anything about something being welded together still being billet?
And you will also notice, no clear detailed pictures of their product. Yooper can post some pics of his impeller, he has one that had failed, at the welds. Read the fine print, on the warranty! does this sound like something you want to spend some bucks on?
Warranty
We are an authorized distributor for nationally recognized manufactures producing goods for the marine industry.
Many of the products distributed by our company are warranted by the manufacturer.
As a distributor, we assume no liability for the use of any items not of our manufacturer, and offer no warranty, either expressed or implied, for such products.
Under no conditions are we as a distributor, authorized to replace a defective item prior to submitting item to manufacturer inspection for any warranty consideration.
Please Note: NO Warranty on propellers and impellers once in use.

YOUPER
03-22-2007, 04:22 AM
I Don`t Have The Pic`s Anymore. I Had One In My Boat For A Short Time, The Preformance Was Ok. But The Main Problem Was It Cracked At The Welds. I Think The Main Problem With Mine Was The Wrong Loader Was Recomended. When I Got The Boat It Had One Of These Impellers In It Also And The Owner Before Me Ran It For Almost An Entire Season. It Came Out In Great Shape. Then I Changed The Loader. I Think If You Get One Of These Impellers Talk To Someone That Has A Understanding Of Jet Pumps. These Impellers Are Pretty Pricey I Would Go A Little More And Get A Bronze Or Stainless.

Placecraft Dragstar
03-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Nope they are two pieces welded together and the company does not stand behind there product. They seem to crack at the welds and you are out your investment.
Buy a SS one and be done with it.