PDA

View Full Version : Man am I ticked!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
1/2 hour ago: I'm showing a powerpoint in my class on the Geography of MesoAmerica and one slide of the rainforest has two black monkeys in a tree (I'm sure you can guess where this is going). One student says "There's Jaquan (black student in the class)." At least 1/2 of the class started laughing. I have about 5-6 black kids in the class. It would be an easy fix if I knew which kid said it, but I don't. The look on Jaquan's face was very hurt. I can't imagine how that must have made him feel.
Feel how you want about race, but to see this child of twelve so crushed made me want to cry. I shut down the slide show (since no one would say who said it) and they sat in silence for the last 5 minutes of class. I told them that I was too upset to continue the lesson.
Question is, what should I do tomorrow? Should I act like it never happened? Should I have a tolerance lesson? Should I ask Jaquan his opinion, since bringing up the subject might cause him further embarrassment? I'll ask my colleagues their opinions also, but I needed to vent for right now.
btw, this student (Jaquan) happens to be one of the brightest in my class.

marty722
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I think I would talk to the student and see what they would like done... Maybe its forgotton and its over with. If the student would like it brought up then bys means bring it up and get to the bottom of it... Maybe find the student that said it and bring them up in front of the class and have other laugh at him or her to get them to understand how it feels.... just a thought...

DaddyMack
03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Since no one will fess up.. have the entire class... except Juaquan.. do a written five page report on tolerance.
It will either make people fess up.. or they will all be pissed at the kid that made the comment... either way it will get your point across... that'll learn em..

DILLIGAF
03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
i SAY SPEND THE time in class tomorrow on tolerence and respect for others and their feelings. I would not discuss it with Juaquin and just take care of it.

topless
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Have everyone of them write an essay on what they did and why it was wrong. Either someone is going to tell who said it or the others that write it will be pissed off at the kid.

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Thats a tough one. Would you have even written this thread if the black kid saw an albino snow monkey on the screen and said "Hey look, its little Jimmy". Probably not. Kids are kids... I would let it go.

Jyruiz
03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Since no one will fess up.. have the entire class... except Juaquan.. do a written five page report on tolerance.
It will either make people fess up.. or they will all be pissed at the kid that made the comment... either way it will get your point across... that'll learn em..
Exactly, or make everybody loose their recees (except for Juaquan)until the person who did it is brought forward.

DILLIGAF
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Thats a tough one. Would you have even written this thread if the black kid saw an albino snow monkey on the screen and said "Hey look, its little Jimmy". Probably not. Kids are kids... I would let it go.
I totally disagree with this. She is a teacher in a classroom and has an opportunity to TEACH them a real life experience of tolerence.
Teach on Angie :)

squirt'nmyload
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
good idea :)

Jyruiz
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I totally disagree with this. She is a teacher in a classroom and has an opportunity to TEACH them a real life experience of tolerence.
Not to mention that by not doing anything about it, it is teaching the other kids that it is ok to make fun of people.

78Eliminator
03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
In my high school chemistry class a friend of mine went to go grab some supplies for the next lab and when he came back his sunglasses were gone. The teacher stood at the door after the bell rang for us to go home and said "Nobody goes home until those sunglasses show up". I sat there, pissed off for about 30 minutes and finally some chick yells "FINE, HERE THEY ARE!" and gave them back to my friend.
Trust me, you have a lot more patience than those kids. Tomorrow, try that at the lunch break....
I wouldn't have let those kids get away with that. They would have all sat there until either someone ratted him out or he had the guts to admit it. Their parents don't have the class to teach them manners so I guess it's on you, which unfortunately really stinks.

Captain Dan
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I believe I read earlier somewhere that you are a judge ?
It shows - this seems to be a perfect solution to the issue at hand.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Not to mention that by not doing anything about it, it is teaching the other kids that it is ok to make fun of people.
That's my predicament. I don't want to just let it slide, but I don't want to embarrass Jaquan.

RiverDave
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
MMSP, this is a sticky situation for sure. There's a level of political correctness, there's morals, there's racial implications, and at the tail end of that somewhere there's an educational criteria that has to be met.
So lets think about this for a second.. If you make the whole class write a report on tolerance except for Jaquan, then he's further embarassed about the situation, and on top of which gets to learn nothing from the experience as a whole except how to be a victim, and that whitey is going to bail him out down the road in every instance such as this.. Then we end up with affirmative action all over again. etc.. etc..
If your going to do a learning lesson on tolerance, then you had best include jaquan in there as well at a minimum. He stands to learn more from this incident then the kids that made the statement to be perfectly honest.. That takes on a mother/father role though, which is NOT your role as a teacher.
Now the school is probably going to be hearing about this from jaquan's parents. Say 50/50 on that. If you don't talk to the school about it, and you develop a lesson plan on tolerance all on your own... Well that can get awful sticky real quick. If they were going to learn geography that day, and now they are learning "tolerance." Well then what happened to the geography? Kinda sticky.. Some other parent is going to get pissed about the fact that your trying to guide their moral compasses instead of teach them what they are their to learn.
It's a no win situation for you. God help you if Jaquan's parents get involved and they are the get rich quick type. Especially if you do some lesson on tolerance. A lawyer can take anything you do, good or bad, and somehow make it your fault in order to sue.
RD

Jordy
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Do an anonymous name thing, find out who the kid is and make him wear a monkey suit to all his classes for the rest of the month!!! :D :D :D
In all seriousness though, there isn't an easy way out of this deal in our disgustingly over-reactive political correct society that has been built. :(

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Do you think this discussion would have even come up if it was the other way around? That was more my point than anything.

RiverToysJas
03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
This is easy......tomorrow show a video featuring some of these white monkeys...
http://twinkle.as.arizona.edu/~dnarayanan/white-face-monkey-1.jpg
And let Jaquan say it's one of the white kids in class!
Problem solved....I should have been a teacher!!!
RTJas :D

wedge44
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
1/2 hour ago: I'm showing a powerpoint in my class on the Geography of MesoAmerica and one slide of the rainforest has two black monkeys in a tree (I'm sure you can guess where this is going). One student says "There's Jaquan (black student in the class)." At least 1/2 of the class started laughing. I have about 5-6 black kids in the class. It would be an easy fix if I knew which kid said it, but I don't. The look on Jaquan's face was very hurt. I can't imagine how that must have made him feel.
Feel how you want about race, but to see this child of twelve so crushed made me want to cry. I shut down the slide show (since no one would say who said it) and they sat in silence for the last 5 minutes of class. I told them that I was too upset to continue the lesson.
Question is, what should I do tomorrow? Should I act like it never happened? Should I have a tolerance lesson? Should I ask Jaquan his opinion, since bringing up the subject might cause him further embarrassment? I'll ask my colleagues their opinions also, but I needed to vent for right now.
I would check with your superiors....since most of these hit the news after the fact and how they were mihandled to begin with.....CYA....Wedge:D :D

Jyruiz
03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
This is easy......tomorrow show a video featuring some of these white monkeys...
LMAO!!

YeLLowBoaT
03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
MMSP, this is a sticky situation for sure. There's a level of political correctness, there's morals, there's racial implications, and at the tail end of that somewhere there's an educational criteria that has to be met.
So lets think about this for a second.. If you make the whole class write a report on tolerance except for Jaquan, then he's further embarassed about the situation, and on top of which gets to learn nothing from the experience as a whole except how to be a victim, and that whitey is going to bail him out down the road in every instance such as this.. Then we end up with affirmative action all over again. etc.. etc..
If your going to do a learning lesson on tolerance, then you had best include jaquan in there as well at a minimum. He stands to learn more from this incident then the kids that made the statement to be perfectly honest.. That takes on a mother/father role though, which is NOT your role as a teacher.
Now the school is probably going to be hearing about this from jaquan's parents. Say 50/50 on that. If you don't talk to the school about it, and you develop a lesson plan on tolerance all on your own... Well that can get awful sticky real quick. If they were going to learn geography that day, and now they are learning "tolerance." Well then what happened to the geography? Kinda sticky.. Some other parent is going to get pissed about the fact that your trying to guide their moral compasses instead of teach them what they are their to learn.
It's a no win situation for you. God help you if Jaquan's parents get involved and they are the get rich quick type. Especially if you do some lesson on tolerance. A lawyer can take anything you do, good or bad, and somehow make it your fault in order to sue.
RD
After that post... RD offically does no sux. I agree with him.
I would let your boss know just as a heads up. Things like this can get very ugly.
No one has said that it might not have been a racist comment.( atleast not on the childs level...)
Which is actaully how I would treat that comment, as a child poking fun at another student. now how to go about dealing with it is another thing.
I would start by 1st thing in the morning having a pop quiz on the lesson you gave up to the point where you stoped. As the last Q have them write a paragraph of why you stoped the lesson. I would be willing to bet that atleast one kid will tell you who did it.
oh yeah..
RD sux, now. :D

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Do you think this discussion would have even come up if it was the other way around? That was more my point than anything.
She's leaving out an important piece of the puzzle that does change the situation in my humple opinion. This is the same school that taught me to respect other cultures and creeds but it has digressed into a poverty filled district. When I attended it was an equal mix of race. It's no longer that way. You ask, would it be different if it was a white kid. No it would not be different because if there was a white kid in that class he or she would be the minority. This is not about that childs color, race or religion. Its about the larger group singling out the minority group. I can assure you in my wifes class race is not the issue. Its the fact that the whole singles out the few.
If it where my class and I was not worried about my bosses opinion. I would not waste my time teaching a class on tolerence. I would ask that they spend their time on it. Essay signed by the parent due Monday morning.

Ziggy
03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Yessiree Angie, I think talking to the superiors at the district is the first step before doing anything....they may very well have protocall for this very thing.
If you take action on your own and for some reason offend someone else it could lead to other issues.....see what the school districts policy is before anything.
Nevermind what any of us think, we're not your bosses. Do what policy dictates, whether we believe it to be right or not.

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Guess this is as good a time to ask as any..What would happen if Eminem dropped as many N bombs as DRE or Snoop Dog? :D

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
She's leaving out an important piece of the puzzle that does change the situation in my humple opinion. This is the same school that taught me to respect other cultures and creeds but it has digressed into a poverty filled district. When I attended it was an equal mix of race. It's no longer that way. You ask, would it be different if it was a white kid. No it would not be different because if there was a white kid in that class he or she would be the minority. This is not about that childs color, race or religion. Its about the larger group singling out the minority group. I can assure you in my wifes class race is not the issue. Its the fact that the whole singles out the few.
If it where my class and I was not worried about my bosses opinion. I would not waste my time teaching a class on tolerence. I would ask that they spend their time on it. Essay signed by the parent due Monday morning.
Quote. "Its about the larger group singling out the minority group."
Wasn't it only one kid that said it? Do you think you should punish everyone for one childs wrong doing?
BTW, I don't think the kid should have ever spoke out. I am just poking some holes in the situation.

lewiville
03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
as funny it might be. I think you take every one of those little shits outside on the race track. And make those silly fools take laps until they fall down and fall on there face and confess.

Ziggy
03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Wasn't it only one kid that said it? Do you think you should punish everyone for one childs wrong doing?
BTW, I don't think the kid should have ever spoke out. I am just poking some holes in the situation.
You can't use complete logic on this touchy situation, not in todays litigious world.
Plus, she mention most of the class laughed so in other words, they agreed with the one kids comment.

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
No offense takin by me, but heres my reply.
One student says "There's Jaquan (black student in the class)." At least 1/2 of the class started laughing. I have about 5-6 black kids in the class.
Who is guilty here? 1/2 the class for laughing? one bad seed?
I am guilty of assuming based on my experience growing up in this town. Does this make me less tolerent of the whole group? I really thought about your question and realize I am no better wanting to force my own beliefs on the subject. I'ts a fawked up deal. My assumption is the whole pack mentality, kids can be terrible. It would not matter to me if the kid was purple. When you have a large group of one race and a small group of another I assume the large group is guilty. It would be no different in my eyes if it was a group of rich white kids against a group of poor white kids. It bums me out that humans are so mean. Those that laughed are guilty, Those that will not snitch are guilty, there middle school'ers there all guilty of something!

78Eliminator
03-21-2007, 04:27 PM
This is spinning out of control. It's not about WHAT was said, it is about WHO said it. So find out who and take action. You don't need to make it a black and white bullshit thing. The kid said something rude, so punish him. End of story. Now back to our regularly scheduled Geography.

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
No offense takin by me, but heres my reply.
Who is guilty here? 1/2 the class for laughing? one bad seed?
I am guilty of assuming based on my experience growing up in this town. Does this make me less tolerent of the whole group? I really thought about your question and realize I am no better wanting to force my own beliefs on the subject. I'ts a fawked up deal. My assumption is the whole pack mentality, kids can be terrible. It would not matter to me if the kid was purple. When you have a large group of one race and a small group of another I assume the large group is guilty. It would be no different in my eyes if it was a group of rich white kids against a group of poor white kids. It bums me out that humans are so mean. Those that laughed are guilty, Those that will not snitch are guilty, there middle school'ers there all guilty of something!
Don't get me wrong... kids are a-holes these days. I used to hate to see kids making fun of the mentally challanged kids, different looking kids, etc. It hurt me way down inside.
My question is; would this still even be a subject if it was the other way around. Would this even come up if it was a school room full of black kids and the one white kid and they said somthing rude about the white kid?
This is a real world situation. This isn't a sitcom, or a movie. I would like to see if this would be totally different if it was flipped.

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
This is spinning out of control. It's not about WHAT was said, it is about WHO said it. So find out who and take action. You don't need to make it a black and white bullshit thing. The kid said something rude, so punish him. End of story. Now back to our regularly scheduled Geography.
I agree. That is basically what I said. Kids are idiots these days. The problem is, it is so hard for the poor teachers to punish anyone these days. I don't know how teachers make it through these days. I would punch out all the little bastards.

78Eliminator
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree. That is basically what I said. Kids are idiots these days. The problem is, it is so hard for the poor teachers to punish anyone these days. I don't know how teachers make it through these days. I would punch out all the little bastards.
I agree. They are rude shits. People do not know how to raise children so the onus is left on the poor teacher.

riverbound
03-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Since it is a half white half black monkey it would have to be 396 :D
<---Hope this doesnt start another boot in the chest thread :eek:

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't get me wrong... kids are a-holes these days. I used to hate to see kids making fun of the mentally challanged kids, different looking kids, etc. It hurt me way down inside.
My question is; would this still even be a subject if it was the other way around. Would this even come up if it was a school room full of black kids and the one white kid and they said somthing rude about the white kid?
This is a real world situation. This isn't a sitcom, or a movie. I would like to see if this would be totally different if it was flipped.
Yes I think it would come up, at least in my wifes class.
BTW I'm looking for a stock 06 fat boy fender. I wanna switch out my 06 softail springer rear fender to the fatboy style one . Finding a fender that I like for the stock 200 rear tire is a pain in the a$$. You sling parts as well?

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Too the best of my knowledge there are no white kids in the class. I could be wrong.

78Eliminator
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Too the best of my knowledge there are no white kids in the class. I could be wrong.
Welcome to Southern California. You get my point anyways.

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes I think it would come up, at least in my wifes class.
BTW I'm looking for a stock 06 fat boy fender. I wanna switch out my 06 softail springer rear fender to the fatboy style one . Finding a fender that I like for the stock 200 rear tire is a pain in the a$$. You sling parts as well?
If you have a Springer Softtail with the 21"front and 17" 200 rear, an 06 Fatboy fender will not fit. You would need to purchase a 07 Fatboy rear fender. The 07s had the 200.
IF you have the Heritage springer, then the 06 Fatboy fender will fit.

ULTRA26 # 1
03-21-2007, 04:58 PM
You might want to have a lesson about thinking about what you say before you say it and the consequences of not of not doing so. I think it would be best to include the entire class, in whatever you do. Not including the little boy who was the subject of the comment will cause more separation between he and the rest of the class.
John M

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 05:00 PM
If you have a Springer Softtail with the 21"front and 17" 200 rear, an 06 Fatboy fender will not fit. You would need to purchase a 07 Fatboy rear fender. The 07s had the 200.
IF you have the Heritage springer, then the 06 Fatboy fender will fit.
Whoops yes the 07 Fatboy fender. No heritage springer Although I would not mind one a bit. I thought they stopped making that and called it something else. Springer classic maybe? Just a springer with a 200. Do you want my arm or leg for something like that?
<-------------------- Hyjacking thread cause this topic sucks!:D

squirt'nmyload
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Since it is a half white half black monkey it would have to be 396 :D
<---Hope this doesnt start another boot in the chest thread :eek:
jaquan needs to know about the boot to tha chest so in case it happens again, he can give the punk A BOOT TO THA CHEST!!! :D :D

Xlration Marine
03-21-2007, 05:10 PM
My girls went and still are going to a grade school where they do not put up with "ANY" crap at all of any type. So my oldest gets into 7th grade. And she's there about a month or so before some PUNK call's her a Bitch. Um he said what to you? Well (long ass moment here) whats his name? Ok, thanks. The moment I see that little punk with his mommy and ASSHOLE daddy I will have to call mommy a BITCH and ask her how she's doin. The shit starts at home and ends in a back alley with a good ass kicking. And people are woundering why Americans have a target on there back. Stupid people like that. And the assholes that raise them.

burtandnancy2
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I hope for your sake you talked to your superiors (principal?). You really need to cya for sure. Good luck...

Debbolas
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I would ask my vice-principal (she is the one that gets everything done) for some direction in this matter. That way you CYA and get an idea where the school wants to go with this.
This behavior is NOT ok. Don't try to make this an overly-polictically-correct situation..........one child was singled out for a laugh because of his race.
I bet you have a pretty good idea who it was......who likes to get attention at the expense of others?

beyondhelpin
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Yes this is politcal correctness at it finest. Im not talking about the kids. Maybe we need to call in all the parents, principal, vice principal, and maybe the superintendent. Emergency meeting tonight at 7:00PM. Something must be done to headoff this potential firestorm.
Come on. Kids are jackasses at that age. Have a short talk about the pain of words and let it be known that this kind of behaviour will not be tolorated in your class. End of discussion. Move on to the days lesson.
I people feel that parents and shool adminstrators need to be brought in on something like a 12 year old kid making a joke about another kid, yes folks political correctness is upon us. If these parents and school adminstrator really do need to be alerted, God help us all.

locogringo
03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I see some good points made here.
Saying that it is a nowin situation for you I disagree with though.
You have a huge possibility to do something here, what it is, I'm not sure but many great people were brought to the front by the actions they took regarding the past (hey, you like that? Just made it up).
Go with what your gut tells you. Focus on your obdurate senses of right/wrong and seek council, the way you are doing here and declare it with asservation and conviction.
Good luck!
Daniel

DaddyMack
03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I believe I read earlier somewhere that you are a judge ?
It shows - this seems to be a perfect solution to the issue at hand.
Yes.. I am.. and thank you! :)

vee-driven
03-21-2007, 06:53 PM
now thats some funny sh!t, maybe jaquan will bust a cap in his ass tomorrow.

beaverretriever
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Whoops yes the 07 Fatboy fender. No heritage springer Although I would not mind one a bit. I thought they stopped making that and called it something else. Springer classic maybe? Just a springer with a 200. Do you want my arm or leg for something like that?
<-------------------- Hyjacking thread cause this topic sucks!:D
200.00+ bucks un painted.
This is the last yr for the FLSTSC. It went away in 04 and returned in 05 and is now on its way out. Unless they intro a new version or the Screamin Eagle version returns next yr, that is all she wrote for the Springers. They have already stopped production in the SE springer.

Moneypitt
03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
A one hour discussion/lesson about evolution could bail you out of a touchy situation, The therory that we are all desended from the apes should even the playing field........Assuming this therory isn't contrary to the local boards guidelines. If there is more than one black student, why was this one singled out? Whoever the racist little prick is, I'm sure he has said far worse on the playground. Ask teachers from the previous year about who they think it could've been. Maybe it's happened before..............MP

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
I would start by 1st thing in the morning having a pop quiz on the lesson you gave up to the point where you stoped. As the last Q have them write a paragraph of why you stoped the lesson. I would be willing to bet that atleast one kid will tell you who did it.
oh yeah..
RD sux, now. :D
I like that idea. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and for letting me vent on here. Actually, I think beyondhelpin hit the nail on the head.
BTW, I am not concerned about being sued over this. My biggest concern is for the rest of the students to think that it is okay to say something like that. For the person who asked how I know it's a racist thing . . . gimme a break. Also, there is one white student in the class who happened to be absent today. It is Perris, used to be a poor agricultural community when I was a kid, now it's just a poor community.
I will mention the incident to an administrator in the morning though, to CMA.
Deb, I have my suspicions, but it doesn't matter. There is more than one suspect, and my suspicions won't carry water.
Thanks again. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Screemy1
03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I work with high schoolers everyday... not the goosd ones either.... I think the way to handle this is easy.... the more mature student you talk to..... talk to him alone... say, "you know how some young kids are today... they can be idiots.... you are better then them and I hope you realize that... I am going to confront the class about the commetn yesterday by just saying the immature students can say thier comments.... but igf they are to scared to be know for them that just highlights the fact that they are less then everyone else....." If he is bright.... he will understand that the teen world is immature.... and life will go on.... remember... teeens ae supposed to be somewhat dumb...... and if you overeact... the joke will be you! You can cmment on other student's stupidity... but it should never change what the norm is.... once you let your schedule or lesson change because of a student's actions.... they will know they have control of you....

XtrmWakeborder
03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
The kids are 12, I seriously doubt he was trying to be racist. He was probably just trying to be funny. Hopefully Jaquan works it out himself and beats the other kids ass. In the real world thats how problems are solved with issues like that. Essays won't do anything. Even if somebody gives you a name "highly unlikely" how do you know it's right? You have no proof. I would tell your superiors and leave it alone.

IMPATIENT 1
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
paddle his axssss!!!(our state still believes in that;) ) thats a racist remark and is no different than a black guy calling someone white a cracker when its meant to hurt. my father raised me to judge the man on his intregrity,work ethics.i'm raising my kids the same way.
we believe in punishing our childs, and i don't mean a "time out".if one of my 3kids use curse words(has happened), or racist remarks(hasn't happened), they get to bite a big chunk of soap offa bar, chew it up and spit it out .all 3 of my kids are honor students, all 3 have great manors and all 3 respect black/white/asian/indian/muslim/whatever the same way.they're great kids, who i love and they love and respect me.
poor jaquan kid just wanted to go to school that day and got singled out and embarrassed by some kid that has shixt parents.your a role model for this jaq. kid if your his teacher, keep that in mind.