PDA

View Full Version : Ford 2008 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel - RECALL

rivercrazy
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
WOW. That didn't take long.........
Ford Recalls 37,400 2008 F-250s w/ Powerstroke Already
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday told dealers to temporarily stop selling certain 2008 F-series Super Duty diesel pickups after receiving reports of flames shooting out of the vehicle’s tailpipe. Ford said it was recalling 37,400 F-Series Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines. The majority of the pickups — 29,000 — were still on dealer lots, the automaker said.
Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said it received three reports of flames coming from the truck’s tailpipe, caused by leaking fuel that ignited in the exhaust system’s diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe
“It’s really something that we noticed early on and we’re moving swiftly to fix the problem,” Jarvis said. There have been no injuries or vehicle fires connected to the recall. There has been one report of a grass fire in Texas that was quickly extinguished, he said.
Jarvis said the flames could only occur in engines with leaking fluids, which he said was very rare. Two of the complaints involved leaking fuel injectors and the other involved leaks coming from a crack in the turbocharger shaft.
The automaker will have dealers upgrade software for the powertrain control module, which will power down the engine under higher-than-expected temperatures in the diesel particulate filter. Similar software updates will take place at the Louisville, Ky., plant where the trucks are built.
Jarvis said the stop sale order should only last a few days as dealers reprogram the software. Owners of the remaining 8,400 trucks will be notified about the recall in early April and will be able to have the software upgrade at no charge.
In a separate action, fewer than 10,000 of the trucks will have the battery cable rerouted to avoid chafing against a shield in the engine compartment that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine.
Ford said the recall does not affect gasoline-powered pickups or those with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter diesel engines.

Jordy
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Dammit RC, why are you hating on the Fords??? :D :D :D
Jordy <---- just wanted to be the first to say it!!! :D

djunkie
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Fords spewing fire???? Who would have ever thought? :rolleyes: :D :D

Liberator TJ1984
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
It's those damn dylithium crystals , she can't take it anymore :D

rivercrazy
03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Maybe they should rename those trucks "DragonFireDiesels".
Actually its pretty cool they do that. Reminds me of the 60's when cars were modified to inject gas into the tailpipes!

Jyruiz
Yup, Ford does not waste any time.

yopengo
As much as I dislike Fords, I hate to hear stuff like this. Not good for any domestic manufacturer. :eek:

rivercrazy
03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Fords spewing fire???? Who would have ever thought? :rolleyes: :D :D
I've always heard Fords like to spontaneously combust.
But fire out the pipe? Perhaps BlueFlamerDiesel is a better name.....

EmpirE231
03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
heck... they should use that as advertisement to sell more!!
a truck that shoots flames out of the tail pipes!! sweeeeet!!! :) :D

shadow
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
heck... they should use that as advertisement to sell more!!
a truck that shoots flames out of the tail pipes!! sweeeeet!!! :) :D
This is un related (to the Recall) but the new 6.4's are now designed to dump raw fuel into the exhaust for regeneration.
This means the fuel economy will suck for the soccer runners and grocery getters around town.:jawdrop:

MACMAN
03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
They should have stuck with a Garrett turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
WOW. That didn't take long.........
Ford Recalls 37,400 2008 F-250s w/ Powerstroke Already
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday told dealers to temporarily stop selling certain 2008 F-series Super Duty diesel pickups after receiving reports of flames shooting out of the vehicle’s tailpipe. Ford said it was recalling 37,400 F-Series Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines. The majority of the pickups — 29,000 — were still on dealer lots, the automaker said.
Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said it received three reports of flames coming from the truck’s tailpipe, caused by leaking fuel that ignited in the exhaust system’s diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe
“It’s really something that we noticed early on and we’re moving swiftly to fix the problem,” Jarvis said. There have been no injuries or vehicle fires connected to the recall. There has been one report of a grass fire in Texas that was quickly extinguished, he said.
Jarvis said the flames could only occur in engines with leaking fluids, which he said was very rare. Two of the complaints involved leaking fuel injectors and the other involved leaks coming from a crack in the turbocharger shaft.
The automaker will have dealers upgrade software for the powertrain control module, which will power down the engine under higher-than-expected temperatures in the diesel particulate filter. Similar software updates will take place at the Louisville, Ky., plant where the trucks are built.
Jarvis said the stop sale order should only last a few days as dealers reprogram the software. Owners of the remaining 8,400 trucks will be notified about the recall in early April and will be able to have the software upgrade at no charge.
In a separate action, fewer than 10,000 of the trucks will have the battery cable rerouted to avoid chafing against a shield in the engine compartment that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine.
Ford said the recall does not affect gasoline-powered pickups or those with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter diesel engines.

HighRoller
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
The DPF (diesel particulate filter) is a fire hazard waiting to happen. It traps soot and the only way to cleanse it is to dump raw fuel into it to "burn" out the soot. They have the same lamebrain technology in the new commercial trucks too. The thing gets so hot it won't clean itself below 45mph because the heat will damage the undercarriage, tires and even nearby pavement!!!
If you ask me, the new fuel economy push is a dismal failure. Think about it-you have an engine that puts out less particulates but gets 10-15% worse fuel mileage. DOH! That sounds like a net INCREASE in pollution to me. Not to mention the EGR engines in medium and large trucks are a nightmare from a service standpoint. Gee, nothing bad could happen when you increase underhood temps by 75 or 100%, right? I mean, it's not like belts and hoses are affected by heat......

havaduner
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
And to think my buddy just drove to Arkansas (from So Cal)to pick up his new truck, I think I'll call him!:D

HammerDown
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Ahhhh yes, I remember when Diesels were simple, reliable Engines that just kept going and going and goooooing!
Enter computers, emissions crap, new technology and Check Engine Lights.
But wait :idea: ...I still have one of the simple ones.:)
Not bad for a 20 year old Truck...eh
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Picture_064.jpg

Jbb
03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Brown's tailpipe flame recall... (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/killerfart.mpeg)

Riomouse911
03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Keeping the '99 7.4 PSD just sounds better and better.. I guess I'll have to replace the CD player this year.
Oh, and as for Ford sedans, the 2007 Ford 500 in the driveway is a piece of s***. At 225 miles it was back at Ford for a vacuum leak. At 3200 miles it's back in again because the trunk latch decided to fail yesterday in the rain, so all my crap in the trunk is soaked. I just can't wait until it dies in the fast lane of highway 91 at rush hour.
American car makers just don't get it. A V-8 with 300 HP and a 10 speaker premium sound-LCD screen DVD player won't do crap for you when you're stalled out on the side of the road or when the thing is back at the dealer again for repairs. Until they do, they'll keep finishing last.
Call me a traitor, but I will never, ever buy another American sedan.

Eliminator 4 Life
03-22-2007, 05:21 AM
Kinda saw that coming besides if anyone buys the first model year of something expect to see problems. I did with the 6.0 in my opinion the best motor ever made was the 7.3:D

NOTALENT
03-22-2007, 05:34 AM
its a ford, what more could you expect?? POS!:D Cant even get the new ones right....lol

boatnam2
03-22-2007, 06:00 AM
come on ford is selling 2008's and 07's just came out a few months ago.They are desperate to get a dsl they can sell.dont look good.

soupersonic
03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
So a fuel leak is fixed by reprogramming the software. Perfectly logical :D
Ford should go back to the 7.3.

Jordy
03-22-2007, 07:01 AM
A V-8 with 300 HP and a 10 speaker premium sound-LCD screen DVD player won't do crap for you when you're stalled out on the side of the road or when the thing is back at the dealer again for repairs.
You're missing the big idea here. All that stuff does help as it gives you something to do until the tow truck shows up, not to mention, it gives the mechanics something to do on their breaks, thereby increasing the morale of the workforce. ;) :D

OCMerrill
03-22-2007, 07:03 AM
A pattern with Ford and their release of new Diesels. Hey Ford...iron out the issues first...it will help you in the long run.
When the 6.0 came out it went through many issues many a computer re-flash was to help cure.
Turn off the pilot injection to help hard starts was one of the major ones. Several that caused HP and mileage losses. So much for advertised hp and TQ numbers.
Now defueling? What a bummer for Ford. They don't need the bad press but as I read it they knew about it before they sold the first few? Ouch.
Like it or not the days of the 7.3 will not and cannot ever return. I still own two Mechanical Diesels (Isuzu NPR's) and in 200k miles nothing on either one of them has even coughed. But I am sure they are dirty runners even though they do not smoke and get decent mpg loaded down.
Urea injection on trucks is next. Oh boy. A piss canister that sprays it into the exhaust. Yuk.
This is all Al Gores fault. :eek: :( :D

20" gun's
03-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I have a 2004 Ford Diesel, and I loved it until I took it i for one of their "recall" repairs to the transmission. They reprogrammed the computer, and now it stays in first for way too long. It also makes a terrible loud sound when the turbo waste gate lets out. I was making 15 miles per gallon for years, and now I am getting 12. Bastards.

PHX ATC
03-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Where's their marketing department?
I'm sure people would pay extra for this option...I would!
Imagine scaring that tailgater right off your azz with a small flame being jetted their way. Perfect!:D

driverno8
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I copy/pasted even more from "cnn money"
March 21 2007: 7:27 PM EDT
DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it was recalling over 37,000 of its new 2008 model-year F-Series Super Duty trucks after reported tailpipe fires in the diesel version of the pickups.
Ford (Charts) said it had received reports of three cases where leaking fuel or oil ignited when trapped in a diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe of the new trucks.
08_ford_superduty.03.jpg
2008 Ford Super Duty truck
In one case in Texas, a truck's hot tailpipe set off a grass fire when the driver pulled off the road, a Ford spokesman said.
The fire was quickly extinguished, and no injuries or accidents have been reported as a result of the incidents, Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said.
"This is an important product for us and an important customer base, and we want to move swiftly to make sure this does not become a safety issue for our customers," Jarvis said.
The recall represents the second glitch since their January launch of the new Super Duty trucks.
The heavy-duty work truck is one of the automaker's most profitable vehicles and its sales success has been seen as key as Ford tries to rebound from a $12.7 billion loss last year.
Navistar International Corp. (Charts) briefly halted shipments of the diesel engines for the new trucks to Ford in late February because of a contract dispute, although both sides have since been meeting under court order to resolve the matter.
Ford dealers were advised Wednesday to stop selling the roughly 29,000 Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines on their lots until engine control software can be updated.
That work should begin Thursday and could be completed in less than 10 minutes per vehicle, Ford's Jarvis said.
Super Duty trucks still awaiting shipment from the Louisville, Kentucky plant that makes them will have their engine control software updated there, he said.
Customers with the first 8,400 diesel Super Duty trucks already on the roads will be notified that they should bring their vehicles into dealerships for the same fix, said Jarvis.
Ford will send out a recall notice to customers in early April and dealers may contact them before then to alert them to the potential problem, he said.
Gasoline-powered versions of the Super Duty and previous model-year diesel trucks with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter engines are not affected by the recall.
The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.
The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.
Ford also wants to take advantage of the recall to shift a battery cable on fewer than 10,000 of the first Super Duty trucks produced in order to to keep the cable from chafing against a shield that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine.
Read the line about pulling over to let your PS cool down. WTF!!!! How about when you're on a two lane road with no shoulder. Do you put cones out? Ford needs to get rid of the Powerstroke. This is getting bad.

UHHH SUCKA
03-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Sounds like another '03 case when they changed models. I had the '03 and was always something every 6 months. Everybody says the 7.3 was the best made. That 6.0 sure did have some power...............for the time it worked.

finsfan4life
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Found On Road Daily....!!!!

JB in so cal
03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Found On Road Daily....!!!!
Wow. That's funny...

Riomouse911
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
We always called them Fu**ed Over Rebuilt Dodge...