PDA

View Full Version : Speed Coat Question

Lefty
03-21-2007, 08:52 PM
I just bought some speed coat from Rexmarine, but the can doesn't have preperation directions. Could someone tell me what grit final sand should be. Or any other tips. Thanks

Rexone
03-22-2007, 02:23 AM
I just bought some speed coat from Rexmarine, but the can doesn't have preperation directions. Could someone tell me what grit final sand should be. Or any other tips. Thanks
I posted a link in the fiberglass forum...

BA Kurtis
03-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Lefty just make sure surface is clean and finish sand with 320, thats what has worked well for me, good luck:D

BILLY.B
03-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Speed coat doesn't really do anything if the bottom isn't straight (no hooks). Alot of guys don't even use the stuff saying it doesn't work anyway. With that said once I have the bottom work done I make sure to final sand the bottom front to aft (one direction, the direction the water will be going) and I finish that with 180 dry. Once the speed coat is on I take a red scotch brite pad and lightly sand in the forward to back direction (whole length of speed coat) just to slick it up a bit and your ready to go.

Moneypitt
03-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Beware, after speed coating a flat will dance around on the trailer ALOT! Make sure the tiedowns actually tie it on, side to side and front to rear.....Don't ask how I found this out..........MP

Lefty
03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Guys for your quick response. Rexone, thank you for getting the product out so quickly. We spent two weeks trying to true up the bottom, while trying to maintain the rocker. We used a string and ruler to measure the bottom from chine to chine and from prop hole to cav plate, we got to within a 32nd of an inchdifference from side to side. We took measurements about every 6" marking the numbers on the boat. The small hook we had was easy to get out the hard part was maintaining rocker. Mr. Felkins is probably tired of the phone calls my brother has made to him. Thanks Kevin if your out there. Is this the way it's done I'm just curious how do the pros do it?

Lefty
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Het Scott, You got to get better man. I want to check those pics out. We ended up preping with 320 sanding front to back. I sprayed it on and then scotch brited the finished surface, front to back. It came out pretty nice. Thank you guys for your help. I took pics I'll post in a day or two.

Dimarco21
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey JP, Get those things runnin' so we can do a Delta beach trip with the family.:D

Towndrunk
03-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I take 80-120 grit paper on a board and sand lightly with the pad on my outboards and it's way better than speed coat. Breaks up the suction that a smooth coating causes.I have never tried it on my Sanger. I am sure that I will get reamed on this one but it really does work!

Fiat48
03-23-2007, 10:01 PM
On that thought.....
Remember the scallop bottom hydro's? Anybody?

Lefty
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey JP, Get those things runnin' so we can do a Delta beach trip with the family.:D
Were trying like heck to finish Denny's boat for CFW. I really want to make a Delta run this year. I've been checking hot spots west for updates. Looks like you guys are having a good time. Don't think our flats can keep up with you guys though.

Dimarco21
03-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Were trying like heck to finish Denny's boat for CFW. I really want to make a Delta run this year. I've been checking hot spots west for updates. Looks like you guys are having a good time. Don't think our flats can keep up with you guys though.
Lot's of nice hardware runnin' around in the Delta. I blew up my v-drive 2 weeks ago:cry: . Just warming up the motor runnin' about 5,000 RPM then BAM $$$. It made a hell of a mess in the boat with water and Red Line oil everywhere. :) Dago should get it together pretty quick for me. I'm thinkin' we'll do a couple of nice and mellow beach trips for awhile.:D

Lefty
03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/531/medium/cathy_s_camera_001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/531/medium/cathy_s_camera_004.jpg
Well here is what it came out like. Overall it came out decent. The stuff is very messy.

Dimarco21
03-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Now us old guys can see it.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/531/cathy_s_camera_001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/531/cathy_s_camera_004.jpg

D Ginny
03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
The boat will be turned back over tomorrow and we will start getting it ready for paint and test fitting and getting the motor and v-drive set in place so we can send the hardwear out for polishing and powdercoating. Hopefully it will be ready for cfw father's day