PDA

View Full Version : Took a Compression Test>>>

HammerDown
10-09-2003, 01:59 PM
All but 1 cylinder at 180 psi. #6 was 177, Not to bad...huh smile_sp

kojac
10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
I checked mine last weekend and they all were 95lbs. Checked my brothers and they all were 240lbs One was 220 on the first try and on the recheck it measured 240. Think I'll go whole hog and do a complete leakdown just so there are no suprises next season.
kojac :)

Hotcrusader76
10-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Just a quick question, are you guys warming these motors up before doing a compression check?

BrendellaJet
10-09-2003, 03:45 PM
sort of on topic here...When installing a cam, I heard that the motor will make peak power when you advance/retard the cam until the cylinders make peak pressure. Any truth to this?

HammerDown
10-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Just a quick question, are you guys warming these motors up before doing a compression check? you bet...with the carb wide open!

HammerDown
10-09-2003, 06:27 PM
BrendellaJet:
sort of on topic here...When installing a cam, I heard that the motor will make peak power when you advance/retard the cam until the cylinders make peak pressure. Any truth to this? You'll get more head pressure when advancing the cam a few degrees...that usually brings in the power band earlier but may not add to the upper rpm area.
[ October 09, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Unchained
10-10-2003, 04:29 AM
I'm only running 8:1 compression and a healthy cam so my cranking compression is low, ranges from 118 to 121.
Clown dyno tuned his own pump gas 540 engine and told me he got maximum power retarding the cam 4 degrees from split overlap. Made 735 HP N.A.

Infomaniac
10-10-2003, 04:35 AM
You can change valve lash also to get the most cranking pressure.

Clown
11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
I'm only running 8:1 compression and a healthy cam so my cranking compression is low, ranges from 118 to 121.
Clown dyno tuned his own pump gas 540 engine and told me he got maximum power retarding the cam 4 degrees from split overlap. Made 735 HP N.A.
:) the #s Where 765HP With a signle Dominator And an out of the Box Dart Intake , And we got about another35-45HP Just By retarding the cam that 4deg, Of course at a 1Deg at a time. The over all Power band was alot broauder With the cam in at 4deg retard.
I have been buillding a friend with a 55 chevy a 434cui Chevy Small block
And talked to a couple of friends at the shop who have at one time worked for crane cams.
And they where telling me that there cams are built with 2Deg of adv?
in them from the get go. Because everyone allways orders a cam to big for there application.
I'm not quit sure if I heard them correctley!!
So I am going to talk to them again tomorrow, Just to make sure I'm not jerking nobodys Chain.:yuk:

Infomaniac
11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Most out of the box cams are ground 4 degrees or so advanced for that specific reason.
I have them ground straight up with no advance. I can put it in wherever I choose.

Clown
11-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes But When They put 2-4 Deg Of adv in with out you nowing that is a differant storie.
I have dynoed alot of blower motors and have had the best results .
With making max power allways after changing cam timing.
Just a weird thing that the cam manf
do this.
:rolleyes:

Fiat48
11-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Cam makers do this because most people choose too large a cam in the first place. Then they bad mouth the cam cause the low end power is gone. So they put in 4 degrees of advance. They figure the real engine builders know and put the cam in accordingly.
Compression testers seldom agree between brands. Loose or tight valves (or have one way out of adjustment), cam phasing and even how charged up your battery is and if your starter drags all play in with a compression tester. Best compression I ever saw was on a small block chevy with a flat cam. Leakdowns get it right.
But a good compression tester is an excellent air density gauge.

GofastRacer
11-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Actually the reason for the built in advance is for timing chain stretch!. Crane, Lunati and Crower told me that 20yrs ago. But I found when I degree some of these cams, I find a lot of them straight up anyways!. Go figure!...As Info says, you have them ground straight up and go from there!. Of course you still check to see if it was ground straight up!....:rolleyes:

Fiat48
11-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Then that means we can't believe anybody cause Crane and Crower told me that (but I ain't sayin' how many years ago cause you already dated yourself!).
Gofast, did you catch the "But a good compression tester is an excellent air density gauge"? Did you get it?

GofastRacer
11-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Then that means we can't believe anybody cause Crane and Crower told me that (but I ain't sayin' how many years ago cause you already dated yourself!).
Gofast, did you catch the "But a good compression tester is an excellent air density gauge"? Did you get it?
Yeah I got it!..;)