PDA

View Full Version : Score one for the US Auto Industry

BowTie Rick
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
HEAVY-DUTY PICKUP PLANS HALTED
Both Nissan and Toyota say they have ceased plans to enter the heavy-duty market.
Nissan says that it plans to suspend, and possibly stop all together, the development of its heavy-duty pickup program, according to a recent Automotive News article. The article also mentions that Nissan will stop production on some of its larger body-on-frame SUVs, including the Pathfinder and Armada, and shift to smaller and more fuel-efficient crossovers when the SUV product cycles end.
According to Automotive News, Nissan's Executive Vice President Carlos Tavares said, “We suspended our heavy-duty truck program because, from a business perspective, we thought that the risk was too high.” By heavy-duty they mean a larger version of the Titan that would compete with three-quarter and 1-ton pickups offered by domestic OEMs. Sales of the now-cancelled heavy-duty Titans, which were to sit on the next-generation Titan platform, was set to begin in 2009 or 2010.
According to Nissan, a heavy-duty pickup requires a dedicated frame, suspension and transmission in order to handle higher weight loads. A diesel engine would be mandatory since the majority of fullsize pickup owners opt for a diesel engine, according to SEMA research.
Nissan is not the only automaker to cease plans to build a heavy-duty pickup. Toyota was expected to launch a heavy-duty pickup in 2009 using a vehicle developed by its Hino Motors Ltd. affiliate, but that project has been halted indefinitely, according to Automotive News.
Source: “Nissan May Dump Heavy-Duty Pickup,” Automotive News, www.autonews.com.

Screaming Pete
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
i wish they had not halted there plans. i have a dodge ram with a cummins and wish the interior and exterior and some of the electrical was up to the standards of the forgin manufactures

Baja Big Dog
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
i wish they had not halted there plans. i have a dodge ram with a cummins and wish the interior and exterior and some of the electrical was up to the standards of the forgin manufactures
Those dam "forgin" guys!!!

Screaming Pete
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Those dam "forgin" guys!!!
s/p....lol

riverracerx
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Not shooting the messenger, but I doubt this will happen:
Nissan will stop production on some of its larger body-on-frame SUVs, including the Pathfinder and Armada
The Armada body styles sell really well as both Nissans and Infinitys. And the Pathfinder is direct competition for the Forerunner.

BowTie Rick
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
You forgot, "when the product cycle ends". Typically that is a 6 year run. So that means 2011 or so before it happens. Makes sense though with the price of gas, who knows what things will be like in 2011 and they are betting on peeps wanted smaller vehicles.

riverracerx
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Not if we keep wanting BIGGER boats!
j/k. Ya I know what you mean.
But in my hood (Valencia) it is all moms and rugrats, so the SUV is still king.
Funny my neighbor has a Suburban and three kids that is 3 years old and has 8K miles on it. She could care less about gas because she drives to school, soccer and the mall only.