PDA

View Full Version : Quagga mussles move west.

HCS
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Interesting. Just got a letter in the mail from the Department Of Boating and Waterways.
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PressRoom/2007/070202quagga.asp
http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=16861&gclid=CLjXlNe5iYsCFRzmgAodCCO9FQ
Public Asked to Help Halt Spread of Quagga Mussel
Department of Fish and Game Opens Toll-Free Information Line (866) 440-9530
(916) 263-8186
February 2, 2007
SACRAMENTO — The invasive Quagga mussel has been discovered in California and the public is being asked to help prevent its spread. A public toll-free number, 1-866-440-9530, has been established for boaters and anyone involved with activities on lakes and rivers seeking information on the invasive and destructive Quagga mussels. The toll-free number is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
"With the discovery of the Quagga mussel in California last month, we are taking the necessary steps statewide to prevent their spread here," said Secretary for Resources Mike Chrisman. "It is critical that we enlist the public's help. Once the Quagga are established in a waterway, they will have significant environmental, recreational and economic impacts."
Although they range from microscopic to the size of a fingernail, they are prolific and attach themselves to any hard surface. In the Great Lakes area, Quagga mussels have covered everything from boat engines and steering equipment to water transport facilities. They also wreak havoc with the environment, disrupting the natural food chain and releasing toxins that affect other species. Spread of the Quagga could result in millions of dollars in damage to water transport facilities.
Boats are the primary transporters of Quagga mussels. All boaters and anyone connected to freshwater aquatic environments should take the following steps to inhibit the spread of the Quagga mussel:
Thoroughly wash the hull of each watercraft once it is out of the water, removing all plants and animal material.
Drain any water through the vessel's hull plug, and ensure the area is dry.
Ensure the vessel's lower outboard unit is drained and dry.
Clean and dry any live-well aboard the vessel.
Empty and dry any buckets.
Any vessel traveling from Lake Mead or the Colorado River should remain dry and out of water for five days.
Dispose of all bait in the trash.
A multi-agency taskforce has responded with surface and underwater inspectors to determine the extent of the Quagga threat. Quagga mussels were found in and near Lake Havasu and the multi-agency response team has increased monitoring and inspection locations. For more information on the Quagga mussel response, visit the Department of Fish and Game Web site at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/quaggamussel/.

HocusPocus
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
i bet the mussels are already infested in Ca waterways and even if they weren't i doubt anyone could really prevent the spread.

LHC30Victory
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
can they live in the residual water in the water pump and block?????? If so, how to get rid of them from there.:jawdrop:

Wheeler
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
It is a shame, that our government, Local, State, and Federal, did not take the effort and prevent the spread of, Illegal Aliens.

RiverRatMike
03-22-2007, 04:33 PM
same here, got the letter also today

OCMerrill
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Just read it also.
I like the baited line in there...resulting even in possible closures of waterways.
WTF!

shueman
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Lots of good info here:
http://www.protectyourwaters.net/images/top1.gif
Protect Your Waters (http://www.protectyourwaters.net/prevention/prevention_generic.php)

707dog
03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
i just got my letter todayalso ..this is crazy stuff just to think the lil sonza bitzhez can riun alot of stuff..wonder if the boat warranty company covers damage to a boat motor due to clogged water lines/pump??

bchbum
03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I got the same letter 2 days in row .This looks like it could be bad for us

HCS
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I see our tax dollars are at work.
Where's Al Gore when you need him? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
:D

HCS
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Actually I think their solution is for everyone to get their boats out of the water for five days. :confused:

Throttle
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
those of you towing from havi to CA, be prepared... you will be stopped and your boat will be inspected just prior to entering Needles... its been goin on since January. gonna take some extra time, all those boats lined up... I hope they keep a lane open for us not towing... I do not want to be late to work...:D

beaverretriever
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Where's Al Gore when you need him?
F- that; where is Jack Bauer when you need him?

RitcheyRch
03-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Rec'd my letter today.

Pro Max
03-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I learned the hard way, I took my boat home last weekend to do some work and wow I about thought I was going the jail, the inspector at Vidal junction was yelling at me ! And baciclly interigated my family. Made me turn off the truck and get preached about the muscle. Then they got onder my boat to take a closer look. I guess its a big deal, BEWARE I was stuck there for close to thirty minutes. Lat time I take my boat home thats for sure.
I told the lady if its that big of a deal I will take the boat back, she diddnt like my smart ass comment when I told here I woulnt put my boat in any calififornia waterway because of the stupid rules. " that was a lie because i baot in Elsinore every now and then" but I was starting to get pissed off. Anyway if they ask you how long the boat has been out of the water dont say a few hours or your screwed.

lewiville
03-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I learned the hard way, I took my boat home last weekend to do some work and wow I about thought I was going the jail, the inspector at Vidal junction was yelling at me ! And baciclly interigated my family. Made me turn off the truck and get preached about the muscle. Then they got onder my boat to take a closer look. I guess its a big deal, BEWARE I was stuck there for close to thirty minutes. Lat time I take my boat home thats for sure.
I told the lady if its that big of a deal I will take the boat back, she diddnt like my smart ass comment when I told here I woulnt put my boat in any calififornia waterway because of the stupid rules. " that was a lie because i baot in Elsinore every now and then" but I was starting to get pissed off. Anyway if they ask you how long the boat has been out of the water dont say a few hours or your screwed.
what was the traffic like going to havasu through Vidal?

Kilrtoy
03-25-2007, 12:46 AM
what was the traffic like going to havasu through Vidal?
They dont stop u going that way

lewiville
03-25-2007, 07:07 AM
They dont stop u going that way
Sweet.......... that's all I need to know...atleast until the end of the season.

wsuwrhr
03-25-2007, 08:35 AM
It is a shame, that our government, Local, State, and Federal, did not take the effort and prevent the spread of, Illegal Aliens.
Always something more important to deal with.

77charger
03-25-2007, 08:44 AM
those of you towing from havi to CA, be prepared... you will be stopped and your boat will be inspected just prior to entering Needles... its been goin on since January. gonna take some extra time, all those boats lined up... I hope they keep a lane open for us not towing... I do not want to be late to work...:D
got the backroads either way covered without the inspection station.Wheter its north or south.:)

HCS
03-31-2007, 07:55 AM
bump.